Wife did a chicken yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pablo laughs on you. American companies run gourmet food tours to Oz and each one gets booked out immediately. It really is about thebest place in the world to eat. Anthony Bourdain (heard of him?) reckons it's the best and he rates Melbourne as better than Sydney (so do I fwiw) And I hope that was an organic chicken as I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if it wasn't.

I'm no expert, but have taken a few cookery classes. The trick to juicy meat is to not let it dry out (I know, sounds obvious). Cooking it in a sealed container is one way (e.g. crockpot or dutch oven or roasting pan or ....), searing the meat prior to baking is another, and a rotisserie works wonders with a whole chicken.

It's sad when we go to my brother-in-law's house for a barbeque and he turns the burgers over about 200 times when he cooks them on the grill, then wonders why they come out dry and wooden. We explain but he doesn't listen.

Hmm getting close to lunchtime and I'm hungry as. A few of us are going to Fekerte's Ethiopian for some Key Wat, spicy pumpkin and Injera fltabread. Mate you havn't lived till you've tried Key Wat, it's the ducks guts!!

Bourdain is overrated, but last time I read his stuff he said the best food in the world is Vietnamese.

I'm not saying Aussie food is bad, it's just not the "best in the world". It certainly may be the most improved, that's for sure. The whole visit Australia campaign is fine, but it's a pure tourist thing. I'm not surprised 30+ years of advertising in the states is paying off.

The chicken was hormone free, but not 100% organic. I've had some organic chicken that wasn't that great. The secret to good food is really freshness and the perfect knowledge of preparation. My wife and I try our best and we are quite proud to prepare food that surpasses the $100/plate stuff for mere dollars.

quote:

Hmm getting close to lunchtime and I'm hungry as. A few of us are going to Fekerte's Ethiopian for some Key Wat, spicy pumpkin and Injera fltabread. Mate you havn't lived till you've tried Key Wat, it's the ducks guts!!

Oh!! Oh! Here in Tennessee we call that Chitlins. Damm good. yes Sir Mate.

http://www.chitlinstrut.com/chitlins.htm

The following is an excerpt from Helen Naismith's Famous Festival Foods:

"The first question the curious ask upon arrival in Salley, South Carolina for the annual Chitlin' Strut, is 'What is a chitlin?'

The answer may not sound too appetizing but once eaten, you cannot deny that something special has just been realized. Chitlin's, a contraction of the word "chitterlings" are pig intestines, and the people of Salley fry them by the ton during the celebration which is held on Saturday following Thanksgiving.

OH? Sorry mate,
Never tryed Key Wat, I guess it's more tasty then vegamite... haha.

But I do recommend our Key Lime Pie.

Is that an organic duck?
smile.gif

Stuffed chitterlings! How about a spinach and ground pork filling with pine nuts? You wouldn't have to eat the chitterlings, but could just squeeze out the delicious filling. Not good? ...hello? ...Pablo? ... anyone?

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Stuffed chitterlings! How about a spinach and ground pork filling with pine nuts? You wouldn't have to eat the chitterlings, but could just squeeze out the delicious filling. Not good? ...hello? ...Pablo? ... anyone?

I could go for that, no need to squeeze the contants out. If Billy Bob can eat chitlins so can I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back