Why such a large oil capacity in new Ford Fusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5.3 quart capacity with filter in my 2011 2.5L 4 cyl Fusion. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great but we just sold a 2007 Tahoe that had a 5.3L V8 with a 6 quart capacity. Not to start with the thick vs thin battle but could the large capacity of the Ford 4 cly be because it calls for 5-20 oil? The Tahoe called for 5-30.

Back in 1977 Cadilac Eldorados had a 500CID V8 with a 5 quart capacity. Most V8's I remember had a five quart capacity except a few Pontiacs in the early 70's with 6 or 7 quart capacities.

Originally Posted By: callbay
5.3 quart capacity with filter in my 2011 2.5L 4 cyl Fusion. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great but we just sold a 2007 Tahoe that had a 5.3L V8 with a 6 quart capacity. Not to start with the thick vs thin battle but could the large capacity of the Ford 4 cly be because it calls for 5-20 oil? The Tahoe called for 5-30.

Back in 1977 Cadilac Eldorados had a 500CID V8 with a 5 quart capacity. Most V8's I remember had a five quart capacity except a few Pontiacs in the early 70's with 6 or 7 quart capacities.

Less chance of SLUDGE. JMO

Not sure why - but the 2005 Trailblazer I had with a straight 6 - 4.2 engine took 7 (seven) quarts of oil.
crazy.gif

I put in around 4.5 qts in the 1.9l dohc sl2. That was with the fl400s tho. Maybe the ford 4 cyl is real hard on oil so it needs the extra oil, or maybe they use the same oil pans on many different engines for cost cutting, so it's a little larger then need be? Just some more shots in the wide open land.

My money would be because Ford is trying to go "green" by pushing extended oil change intervals. The larger capacity helps with that.

I too say greater capacity is a big plus.
Shoot, my 2004 Nissan Xterra has a 3.3 Quart capacity or something like it. I think the newer ones hold 6 quarts.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
My money would be because Ford is trying to go "green" by pushing extended oil change intervals. The larger capacity helps with that.

Shoot, my 2004 Nissan Xterra has a 3.3 Quart capacity or something like it. I think the newer ones hold 6 quarts.

+1

My 95 bMw 525i with 2.5 liters has 6 quart capacity. I thought it was a good thing to have larger oil capacity for cooling and possible longer intervals between changes.

My opinion: manufacturers no longer expect the average owner to EVER check his/her own oil anymore. That wasn't the case in 1975. From a purely thermal and functional perspective, a 4-quart total capacity is plenty of oil for most any engine, but that DEMANDS that the operator keep the sump full. A 6-quart capacity on a 2-liter engine is a hedge against the idiocy of the average driver.

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

+1

+1

Since big brother want to get involved in our business, they should mandate that every car sold in this country have a minimum 6 qt capacity sump, all cars have a 1-quart filter within easy reach.

I would suspect that it is to support their exteneded drain interval. A side reason may be that most owners never check their oil level so it gives them a bit of a buffer.

My daughter's 2.2l ecotec in her Grand Am calls for 5.8 qts and my 3.8l Grand Prix only takes 4 1/2.

I could never figure out how they came up with 5.8. How is the average person supposed to measure .8 quarts. Wouldn't 3/4 have been OK?

Longer change interval. Lots of German cars go this route to get 10k and 15k OCIs.

My Audi S4 is 10L.

My 1983 LTD with the 2.3L I-4 had a five litre sump. That was before manufacturers began extending OCIs as they do now, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back