Why not build Premium filters with Magnets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see a market for that.

They could buy small magnets in bulk and put them on the end of the filters like a K&N filter of something like that.

Charge a couple bucks more or something for it.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

They could buy small magnets in bulk and put them on the end of the filters like a K&N filter of something like that.

Since the very small market for magnets on filters can already buy them, and move them from filter-to-filter, why bother?

Originally Posted By: rshunter

Since the very small market for magnets on filters can already buy them, and move them from filter-to-filter, why bother?

Exactly. You can already buy a cheap rare earth magnet and re-use it from filter to filter. Anyone ever done this and then cut the filter casing open to see if the magnet actually "caught" anything?

Originally Posted By: Familyguy

Exactly. You can already buy a cheap rare earth magnet and re-use it from filter to filter. Anyone ever done this and then cut the filter casing open to see if the magnet actually "caught" anything?

I've never tried a magnet on an oil filter, but I've had a couple of cars with magnetic drain plugs. There's ALWAYS a hint of a beard on them when you pull them, so I'm sure the filter magnets would do the same.... but then the filter MEDIA can capture that size debris anyway, so what's the point?

Well.......

1. Most people are not car nuts like us so they probably have no ideas about magnets on oil filters. Unless they see it on a shelf or commercial they wouldn't understand it.

2. The filter media does not catch all these smaller particles. They can't because then they would be way too restrictive and would clog easily. Most filters are good at catching particles down to 15-20 microns on a consistent basis. That leave smaller particles free to roam and help cause wear.

3. Yes magnets on filters do catch metal particles. I use them on my 3 vehicles. I have cut them open. I woul think these would really be beneficial during break in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Originally Posted By: rshunter

I have the FilterMag on my F-150 and it does catch debris as it advertises.I am using the HP365.

I am due for another oil change I can cut another filter open and show you guys.

To put rare earth magnets that will stand up to hot oil would make filters double the cost I'm sure. Plus not all the metal in your engine is magnetically attracted.

So I would recommend a FilterMag or similar on the outside of the filter. My FilterMag catches lots of fine debris in the filters.

And then there the Magnefilter, put out by the same company that makes the Magnefine. I got one to try on my F-150 and some farm equipment. We'll see what the iron looks like on the UOA. I also have one on both my tractors, one of which I got a before sample on. Here's the one on the big tractor. It screws on below the filter and stays there for about 30-60K miles. The oil runs past a magnet inside, trapping it.

Boss Products

MagneLow.jpg

I bought mine off a guy in Alberta who sells FilterMag's He was great to deal with... Will look up the company and post here in a few minutes...

Edit:

Just found that they have a distributor in Mississauga now...

BPT Components & Parts Ltd.
1780 Bonhill Rd., L5T 1C8
905-670-7667
www.bpt.on.ca

Source: http://www.filtermagcanada.ca

Last edited:
I checked some magnet sites and you can get some powerful small magnets for around $ 2.00.

If you are a big company buying in bulk you get a much better deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
To put rare earth magnets that will stand up to hot oil would make filters double the cost I'm sure. Plus not all the metal in your engine is magnetically attracted.

But the main one Iron is.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Just replace your oil pan drain bolt with one with a magnet attached to it...

Not close to powerful enough or big enough area.

Also doesn't contact the oil as much as a filter magnet would as the oil is confined to a very small space in the oil filter but not in the pan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Just replace your oil pan drain bolt with one with a magnet attached to it...

Not close to powerful enough or big enough area.

Also doesn't contact the oil as much as a filter magnet would as the oil is confined to a very small space in the oil filter but not in the pan.

I get a bunch of crud on my magnetic drain plug. Uses high power magnet. The total on this drain plug is probably close to what a magnet on the filter would accumulate.

These photos were from a new car after first oil change, and the engine was still breaking in.

SuperPlugdirty.jpg

SuperPlughalfdirty.jpg

Added magnets to oil filters would be a terrible idea I think ...
29.gif

All the oil filter companies would get sued because cars would get stuck when travelling over railway tracks ...
33.gif

27.gif

That would be a unique design of drain plug.

I have never seen one that tall. Where did you get it?

**I would like to have seen what a filter magnet caught. Is that sludge?

Last edited:
Did you ever think of how you'd seperate and place those magnets at an assembly rate of 90+ units per minute? Not to mention the environmental impact of all those magnets in the waste stream.

I can hear the uproar now...
Wix just raise the price of their 1040 filters $5.00 bucks. And all they did was put a magnet in it!

We tried it with the old Sport Truck filters, used magnetic springs but no one wanted to pay the price vs a standard filter. Now that was a Da**ed good filter. It just cost Us and the consumer too much $$$.

Last edited:
Since we got your ear here, Pete, can you give us a rough idea of how much a rolling production cost translates to a retail cost?

That is, what does a $0.25 in production costs end up being at the consumer level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back