WHY leave trailer hitch on !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97f150
Originally Posted By: Traction
Definitely a few people, are the same ones that would back into somebody's car in a parking lot with a hitch, and say whoops, they shouldn't park that close behind me. Might as well have it hang out there a couple feet, which would really help.

And you base that on what?

All was saying in my original post was that it just annoys me, and wondered why so many people need to leave them in, even though it makes zero sense to me.

I just did a quick Google search and came up with these cases.
I'm sure there are others.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-163140.html

http://overlawyered.com/2010/03/nyc-councilwoman-walks-into-trailer-hitch-of-parked-truck/

I'm no lawyer but I would imagine that if the hitch was not an OEM part of the vehicle, it was able to cause bodily damage, it was removable, and no real means were made to make the part highly visible or safe.
I would guess the vehicle owner could be held responsable.

So since I am bored, it is raining, and all the cars are caught up on maintenance...
I thought I would take some pictures and some measurements.
So installed the hitch, just for this thread. Because I sure don't want a bunch of people removing my hitch and putting it through the window when I don't remove it if I stop at the store while camping.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

Here they are:
IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

I have to ask, and mind you my hitch is pretty big, how close are you walking behind peoples vehicles?
and...
How do you not see this?

Originally Posted By: expat

http://overlawyered.com/2010/03/nyc-councilwoman-walks-into-trailer-hitch-of-parked-truck/

I'm no lawyer but I would imagine that if the hitch was not an OEM part of the vehicle, it was able to cause bodily damage, it was removable, and no real means were made to make the part highly visible or safe.

One person in the first thread says..."It is not a Hazard for anyone with more than 2 brain cells"

That seams a bit mean. I just can't see walking into something not moving being the stationary items fault.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Why? Because I use it a lot of the time, it's not illegal in Iowa and it'll teach the person who rear ends me to be pay better attention instead of texting or being distracted.

It should be illegal. I use mine a lot, but it is simple to remove, and I will do it twice a day if needed. And what are you going to teach someone who rear ends you? It is hard enough to maneuver around long vehicles in parking lots, let alone have the hitch hanging off the back doing nothing.

If you can't maneuver around large vehicles that are properly parked, there is a bigger issue at hand. When stopped at a light, look around 3/4 are texting or talking on a cell phone, distracted drivers are a huge reason for rear end accidents. If someone read ends me while I'm stopped, that's their fault for not paying attention. I'll do what I need to, to protect my vehicle on the road from distracted drivers and usually leaving it in results in little or no damage.

If you don't like it, take yours out like you do.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
The only ones that wouldn't see that are the ones with their head in their caboose.

Or having their nose stuck in their phone while they are texting and walking at the same time.

I take mine out from Oct to May. I have a camping trip every other weekend in the Summer so the hitch stays in, unless I can't lock it. It is too pricey to lose. I don't drive the truck unless I go to Lowes, the dump or camping. I am not saying you shouldn't remove it. I am saying don't walk into things that are at a stand still.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
So since I am bored, it is raining, and all the cars are caught up on maintenance...
So installed the hitch, just for this thread. Because I sure don't want a bunch of people removing my hitch and putting it through the window when I don't remove it if I stop at the store while camping.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

Here they are:
IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

I have to ask, and mind you my hitch is pretty big, how close are you walking behind peoples vehicles?
and...
How do you not see this?
This is the whole point of the thread. [censored]

Now, Now, no need to get censored because we don't agree.

We see two different things
smile.gif

So you want to walk closer to the truck than that?

smile.gif
laugh.gif

Here they are:
IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

and...
How do you not see this?

Every owner of each car in the parking lot is responsible for the "hitch chuckers" safety. Duh!
banana2.gif

Now I know why things have all those warning labels.

Definitely a few people, are the same ones that would back into somebody's car in a parking lot with a hitch, and say whoops, they shouldn't park that close behind me. Might as well have it hang out there a couple feet, which would really help.

Interesting perspective.

Every time my hitch has made contact with another vehicle, my truck was stationary, and the other person decided to plow into it. To hit the hitch, they had to be within about four, maybe five inches of my bumper, which is too close. Sorry, but that's totally on them. They would have hit the bumper, or the tailgate, had the hitch not been there.

It's almost being considerate towards those people to keep the hitch in. Usually "accident" prone people panic at the thought of insurance getting involved, and seem happy to have a cracked bumper cover just to not have a claim, or get arrested for driving without insurance.

After reading this thread again, my wife reminded me how I busted my shin on a hitch in a parking lot.

I was carrying my youngest and was keeping a close eye on my middle son as he made his way to the entrance at Wal-Mart and boy did that hurt.

But filing a lawsuit or throwing it thru the offending trucks window never has crossed my mind. That being said the last thing I am worrying about is a hitch at my shin level. I am more concerned on doing my best frogger impression with my children and safely arriving to my destination.

Originally Posted By: expat

One person in the first thread says..."It is not a Hazard for anyone with more than 2 brain cells"

That seams a bit mean. I just can't see walking into something not moving being the stationary items fault.

I liked this response in the first thread...

Quote:
The sad thing is, he probably does. Injury lawsuits are basically the witchhunt of the new millenium. Trip on your own shoelace and as long as you fall on someone else's property you get to sue.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
After reading this thread again, my wife reminded me how I busted my shin on a hitch in a parking lot.

I was carrying my youngest and was keeping a close eye on my middle son as he made his way to the entrance at Wal-Mart and boy did that hurt.

But filing a lawsuit or throwing it thru the offending trucks window never has crossed my mind. That being said the last thing I am worrying about is a hitch at my shin level. I am more concerned on doing my best frogger impression with my children and safely arriving to my destination.

Dave I am not sure what you did in the Military, but I have to ask, since the humor there is a bit different. What would the folks you served with do if they saw you do it or heard about it. I know if I busted my shin in the parking lot on a hitch the guys on Submarines would laugh at me and tell me how stupid I am. Maybe our sense of humor is different than that of the rest of the Military and apparently, after reading this thread, the rest of the world or at least BITOG.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Interesting perspective.

Every time my hitch has made contact with another vehicle, my truck was stationary, and the other person decided to plow into it. To hit the hitch, they had to be within about four, maybe five inches of my bumper, which is too close. Sorry, but that's totally on them. They would have hit the bumper, or the tailgate, had the hitch not been there.

It's almost being considerate towards those people to keep the hitch in. Usually "accident" prone people panic at the thought of insurance getting involved, and seem happy to have a cracked bumper cover just to not have a claim, or get arrested for driving without insurance.

This is why I brought the issue up. Part of the problem and not the solution.

Last edited:
Quote:
The sad thing is, he probably does. Injury lawsuits are basically the witchhunt of the new millenium. Trip on your own shoelace and as long as you fall on someone else's property you get to sue.
[/quote]

Yes, Sad but true. I have a house I rent out, in the last 5 years my house insurance has gone up 300%
because of MY liability!
I'm told, if my tenant were to fall down my steps, I could be held liable [censored]!

But regarding hitches, one response was this:

"Never thought it was a big deal because I used to leave my hitch on too. I watched a 79 year old lady walk into one recently. Broken hip and broken elbow. It was so sad to see. This could have been anyones mother. Would you want this for her? I will never leave my hitch in place when I’m not using it ever again. People are just not looking down when they are walking. I felt really bad for her."

I can see, in a busy parking lot, someone looking out for moving cars that are more interested in an empty stall than looking out for pedestrians. It would be quite easy for an elderly person to walk into a trailer hitch.
Especially if the vehicle is long, and parked 'nose in' to the stall.

Guy I knew used to keep one on "to skewer the other guy". It got stolen a few times; he found a lock for it. Shortly after that he rear-ended another guy with a hitch sticking out, doing the expected damage to *him*. Sometimes there is a God.

The one hitch that bugs me today is an idiot that reverses into his company's lot and leaves the hitch (and part of the truck) sticking into the sidewalk. It's dark when I walk to work, and it's a sidewalk. Can't be two people passing each other.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Dave I am not sure what you did in the Military, but I have to ask, since the humor there is a bit different. What would the folks you served with do if they saw you do it or heard about it. I know if I busted my shin in the parking lot on a hitch the guys on Submarines would laugh at me and tell me how stupid I am. Maybe our sense of humor is different than that of the rest of the Military and apparently, after reading this thread, the rest of the world or at least BITOG.
smile.gif

I was a Deck Seaman then I struck IT in the Navy on the telecommunications side. For one if I was telling the story to the people I worked with I would make it as funny as possible to make sure everyone had a good laugh. If someone watched me do they would have a good laugh but they would not rib me too much about it. Most everyone I served with seem to enjoy working with me and most everyone thought of me as gentleman for some reason. Likely due to me not ribbing someone to death if they goofed up like tripping over a hitch in a parking lot.

Huh? What's the solution for absent minded people who can't watch where they are going? Let them plow into my bumper or tailgate and cause real damage to my truck that could cause me downtime, all because they won't watch where they are going? Sure, maybe if they plow into the truck itself, they might learn the lesson in a different way, but at my expense. To me, my time is worth something. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of getting a tailgate that won't open fixed and dealing with someone else's insurance, if they have it.

The only problem here is people with no sense of personal responsibility, and it's not my problem to look out for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back