WHY leave trailer hitch on !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Traction

If you are always aware of your surroundings and always watching where you are going, how do you get rear ended a bunch of times. As a defensive motorcycle rider you would always make sure the person behind you has enough room to stop by leaving a few feet in front of you to leave yourself an out, then roll ahead as they come to a stop to leave a little more room. Apparently leaving the ball mount isn't working out so well for preventing accidents. Plus they look like [censored] hanging off the back.

Traction- this is the most ridiculous comment I've heard in a long while. Moving forward a "few feet" in front of you if you *think* a vehicle may rear-end you will rarely make the difference between a rear-ender vs. no collision, and there is rarely enough time to make that move, anyway. How do you get rear-ended a bunch of times? Because there are a lot of distracted and just plain bad drivers out there. That's how. To even begin to blame the victim of a rear-ender for not being "aware of their surroundings", while failing to say one word about the driver who is REALLY unaware of the surroundings: the person who did the rear-ending and caused the accident- only exposes your bias. Oh, and your comment about hitches preventing accidents is baseless. The point hitch'ers are trying to make here is that having a hitch on the rear of your vehicle makes followers more likely to take notice of that fact that your vehicle is there and be more cautious around it. This is certainly true in my experience.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Actually no...

Without functional tailights the vehicle had no right to be on the road. Her liability ends right there. If the lights were functional then it would be her fault.

Thermo1223- actually, no...

The red light that matters when approaching a stoplight is the one at the intersection, not the one on the vehicle in front of you. By your twisted logic, all the stick-shift engine-brakers would be liable.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Actually, it's not bingo. The operator of a vehicle needs to be in complete control at all times. If they were stopped at a red light and she hit the vehicle in front of her, regardless of it's condition or state of repair, it would be her fault.

And THAT is a BINGO. While the truck driver's lights were out it doesn't matter if he was already stopped. Not only that but even if going along if you are paying attention and not right up the car's butt that is in front of you it is possible to see it slowing down even without lights and you stop. I wasn't there and didn't see it but sure sounds like she wasn't paying attention and/or was too close.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Maybe I missed it in the previous 8 pages of this stupendous thread, but why is it a "perfect example of why people leave them in"? To try and prevent the rear-ending from happening somehow? To protect the car with the hitch? To teach the other person some kind of lesson? I missed why it was a perfect example of why you would leave it in, and what benefit there was.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
No offense, but this is a perfect example of why people leave them in. Why would she be within 6' of the truck in front? Brake lights or not? And if she was so distracted that she came within 1' of the truck, odds are she would've hit it anyways...
So now its her problem and not the truck drivers problem that she bumped into his truck.

In the case mentioned the damage was only done to the girl's car who was tailgating/not paying attention. The ball mount prevented any damage to the other vehicle that got rear ended.

I don't leave my ball mount in for this reason BUT I have been rear ended a bunch of times( sitting at light/intersection, waiting to enter a rotary, while PARKED! )with the hitch in and it never did any damage to me. The other guy though =
crazy2.gif

If you are always aware of your surroundings and always watching where you are going, how do you get rear ended a bunch of times. As a defensive motorcycle rider you would always make sure the person behind you has enough room to stop by leaving a few feet in front of you to leave yourself an out, then roll ahead as they come to a stop to leave a little more room. Apparently leaving the ball mount isn't working out so well for preventing accidents. Plus they look like [censored] hanging off the back.

We have now stepped over into the Twilight Zone here folks. It is my fault that I got rear ended? I need to take steps to be defensive against what the guy behind me does now too. WOW! You have to be purposely trying to provoke me. You can not possibly mean this???

This is how you get rear ended through no fault of your own just in case you are serious( and I feel bad for you if you are )...

Example 1 - I start to slow down as I come up to a rotary as I have a yield sign so I have to be sure it is safe for me to enter before I go. bear in mind it is also snowing out so I am going slow anyway. I see a state plow truck coming that is almost at the rotary. Plow trucks have the right of way at all times( law here )so I actually have to stop and give way vs pulling into the rotary in front of it. I had borderline time if it wasn't a plow and it wasn't snowing if I floored it on a normal day. I wouldn't have gone even then. The guy behind me who has been riding my butt runs into me.

We pulled over after going through the rotary at a gas station and he starts yapping at me about stopping at a yield sign. He said he was sure I was going so he goosed it to follow me and get ahead of the plow. He was very agitated and kept blaming me( maybe he was related to you? )even though he was at fault. His grille/radiator/bumper were trashed. I had a scratch in my ball mount.

"HE" called the cops because in his view I was at fault. I explained the plow law and also that a yield means just that = yield to cars with the right of way which I did for the plow. He just kept sputtering away. Cops showed up and not only backed me up but the guy got a ticket. Witnesses and his own words backed up my version.

So NOT my fault and nothing I could do.

Example 2 - I was sitting in a small local mall parking lot while my Sister was inside a salon getting a hair cut. I was parked, legally, facing out( so my rear bumper was towards the space behind me )in a marked parking space. I was actually reading a book when WHAM! My head went forward and I dropped my book I was so startled.

I looked in the RVM and saw an old man in a huge Cadillac backing up. He had pulled into the space and gone too far forward( NO my ball mount was not hanging back into his space )and hit me. The ball mount saved some damage as this was an old boat that was all steel and would have caused some damage I know if he hit me. I actually was afraid it had but nothing ever came of it thankfully. He was tooling it into that space too. Way too fast. His bumper got banged up some from the ball mount.

So how was I to avoid that? I was legally parked and fully in my space. Am I to keep the car running, with it in P, as I scan all around ready to dash out of harms way while waiting for someone?

Example 3 - I was parked at the local ER( facing the sidewalk - one row of spaces with the back at the travel lane ). My Dad had to be taken up by the ambulance with heart issues during the night. After he was stabilized and out of trouble I went outside to my truck to make some calls and let the family know he was in the Hospital. While sitting there a woman in a Prius drove right into the truck as if she was planning on parking in the same spot as me. Right into the back of me.

The spot next to me was open and that is where she actually was going to park but she was yakking away with the person with her and not paying attention. I think she was preoccupied about someone at the ER herself. Whatever the reason I was parked and she tried to park on top of me. Trashed her grille, bumper cover, and even the hood( to a degree ). She also got my bumper as she hit the ball mount at an angle not straight on so I needed a new one. Could have been worse without the ball mount.

Again, nothing I could do. Was I supposed to somehow see her coming and just assume she would try to park where I was and quickly get out of the way?

BTW - last summer at the same ER in almost the exact same spot someone in an suv hit my Sister's car( near passenger's rear wheel and on bumper )as we were getting ready to get out and go in with her. Thankfully the suv was going slow enough and the driver caught it at the last moment and it was just a tap that didn't do any damage to either vehicle.

Your comments are absurd as is your assertion I am not defensive enough in my driving to avoid being rear ended. Just ridiculous. About the only thing I can see to do is stop going anywhere with my Sister who seems to have a HIT my sign that follows her around.

Last edited:
I don't see how it can possibly prevent damage, I think the point of that is that it causes additional damage since the bumpers cannot meet "face to face". From the posts in here I think the point is punitive - it causes more damage even in a light collision.

Which is the point I'm seeing by those who demand to leave it installed.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
How does a ball hitch prevent any damage?

They simply cause more damage to the vehicle hitting by poking it but rarely a point load like that can stop an entire vehicle. The vehicle still gets hit.

Walking to work I watched a young girl with bad clutch in 2dr Explorer who was parallel parking nail a hitch damaging her bumper on the hitch but it poked through. The Jeep bumper in front got pretty scratched up in the process. I think its false security.

Once upon a time, I came to a complete stop at a stop sign. The guy that had been riding my [censored] all the way around base housing was all ready to roll the stop sign. I stopped. He did not. He hit my truck's trailer hitch. Messed up his wifes car pretty good...hood, grill, and bumper. Wanted to know why I did that (come to a complete stop.) I said, "Because the guard shack is 25 yards away and there's a cop standing outside was watching."

He got a ticket. I went on my way. Too bad for him. No damage to anything on my truck.

There has not been one single complaint yet in this thread that holds water. It's all whining and complaining.

/thread.

Originally Posted By: moving2

Actually no...

Without functional tailights the vehicle had no right to be on the road. Her liability ends right there. If the lights were functional then it would be her fault.

Thermo1223- actually, no...

The red light that matters when approaching a stoplight is the one at the intersection, not the one on the vehicle in front of you. By your twisted logic, all the stick-shift engine-brakers would be liable.

An unsafe vehicle should not be on the road regardless of the stoplight. I added after that post to conceded that if you are going towards the light full bore than no set of taillights would have saved you.

You don't engine brake while stopped at a light do you? No your foot is the brake pedal with the lights plainly visible. I am merely saying this is what you insurance companies will argue over.

For instance my state inspection was expired and if I got into an accident in any way if would be argued that I should not be driving. Therefore any fault would be placed on me. If doesn't matter to some extent what happened. They will argue I should not have been driving under state law. They would be right and it be one of those 51%/49% accountability claims and I would get the 51%.

For instance my state inspection was expired and if I got into an accident in any way if would be argued that I should not be driving. Therefore any fault would be placed on me. If doesn't matter to some extent what happened. They will argue I should not have been driving under state law. They would be right and it be one of those 51%/49% accountability claims and I would get the 51%.

You're wrong. If you rear end someone, it doesn't matter what they are driving. The investigating officer can issue them a citation for faulty equipmwent, but guess what? YOU hit them.

There is a reason that hand signs are taught in driving school - in case your lights burn out (for whatever reason).

A few years ago I was sideswiped by a chick with a 6 month expired sticker. The cop didn't care two poops. He sent us packing after we exchanged papers. When insurance was all said and done, it was her fault because she hit me but nothing was said about the lack of a sticker.

Like I said, a person needs to be in control of their vehicle at ALL times. Nice how we live in a society where it's always someone else's fault.

Nevermind, if you are to obtuse to see another point of view then I am not arguing about it. It is not as cut and dry as you'd like it to be.

I will leave my hitch mount on at all times on my truck to prevent damage. Perfect example of why is because of my wife's old Mitsu Montero Sport. The factory hitch sticks out a few inches (without the hitch mount) and can be used as a stand if you want to put things on the roof.

While she was out of town and stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with her parents, a smallish car wasn't paying attention and hit them quite hard. The other driver's front end was completely destroyed and the vehicle was inoperable. Her truck? Nothing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_A_G
I will leave my hitch mount on at all times on my truck to prevent damage. Perfect example of why is because of my wife's old Mitsu Montero Sport. The factory hitch sticks out a few inches (without the hitch mount) and can be used as a stand if you want to put things on the roof.

While she was out of town and stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with her parents, a smallish car wasn't paying attention and hit them quite hard. The other driver's front end was completely destroyed and the vehicle was inoperable. Her truck? Nothing.

I just don't know I guess, is this part of the solution or, part of the problem. It seems to me from what I've read, that it would be a great idea to make it mandatory that every vehicle on the road should have a ball mount out of the line of sight, so everyone that hit it would be just too bad for them, and never any damage to you. There is a reason that you need to make it visible if you want to leave it in. At least put a tennis ball on them, or reflector of some sort, just to be a little safer. When they first came out with receiver hitches, I thought they were a great idea for exactly what the original post of this thread was for. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone BTW. Just thinking out loud.

You don't engine brake while stopped at a light do you? No your foot is the brake pedal with the lights plainly visible. I am merely saying this is what you insurance companies will argue over.

It's not so simple. Rear enders can happen at any point in the stop for a stoplight, not just when the victim is fully stopped, correct? It can also occur when they are slowing down, without any brake lights in the case of engine-brakers. You don't seem to want to address this point. In addition, if the ground is even, some stick-shift drivers use no brake, and some even use e-brake instead. Liable in either of those cases? I think not. Would be interested to hear your response to those 2 cases.

Others have already addressed this. The victim of the rear-end accident would be cited for the lights, and the perp would be cited for the rear-ender. Not sure how this varies by state, but I've lived in quite a few and have never heard different. Please do post up if you have evidence to the contrary.

i use my hitch often enough that i don't take them off either, and also on my truck i have my own custom large mudflaps mounted right to the hitch receiver.

in the winter its easy enough to put a strap on it to pull stuff out etc.

what bothers me more is a vehicle that has truck plates on it and doesn't even have a hitch, not even a bumper hitch.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
i use my hitch often enough that i don't take them off either, and also on my truck i have my own custom large mudflaps mounted right to the hitch receiver.

what bothers me more is a vehicle that has truck plates on it and doesn't even have a hitch, not even a bumper hitch.

Not to start anything, but to me a pickup truck was designed mostly to haul stuff. Regular cab, 8 foot box, 2 wheel drive... perfect pickup truck. A car can pull a trailer.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder

Not to start anything, but to me a pickup truck was designed mostly to haul stuff. Regular cab, 8 foot box, 2 wheel drive... perfect pickup truck. A car can pull a trailer.

Well you did....
Perfect unless your family's hobby is camping. Not everyone does the same thing...
In that case, this works best
smile.gif

img1888qs.jpg

So start searching and find me a car that will pull this. 7500 lbs loaded, 35 feet overall.

I will be waiting, but I won't be holding my breath.
Enjoy your weekend.

I was within a hair breath of getting the trailer I wanted--a popup with a 2,500lb curb weight. 3,500lb GVWR. A Jayco, and Jayco's are known for heavy tongues (mean more than 10% on the tongue). Travel trailers tend to weigh closer to GVWR, especially after loading up with sleeping bags etc; popups seem to be in the same class. Toss in a few people and clearly I was looking at 4k of "stuff" to move.

What car today is spec'd for that? Ideally I'd go out several weekends per year plus a couple of 1kmile+ trips for big family vacations. 4x4 quad cab, 4x4 to enable it to get around when the snow flies--I'm sure there are better tools for the job, but as I've said before, trucks like this are the modern version of the old station wagon.

Off the top of my head, a Dodge Charger R/T or Chrysler 300C would pull that. (Rated for 3800lbs.) A Panther car with the towing package (5K) would pull it easily.

I think Mercedes still rates the V8 E-class to tow 4400lbs (2000kg).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back