Why is gas so cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

All [censored] information. The dollar is going up and the price of gold is collapsing, and the Fed doesn't need a "mystery investor", whatever the [censored] that means. The Fed could right this minute buy every single treasury bond in the secondary market and nothing would change. QE proved this. In addition, the USA still has by far the highest gold reserves of any country. All this talk of dollar collapse, China and the rest of the world creating a gold backed monetary system to usurp the United States, has been peddled now for darn near half a century and it's absolute LOON information. If China dumped the dollar, it would crush their economy because it's been export based.

LOL.

You've got as much cred as the next so called interwebz expert.
crackmeup2.gif

Prices have been so volatile over the past five decades that one can pick and choose prices that either reflect that it's cheaper or more expensive when inflation is accounted. Also - we're paying fuel taxes that are considerably greater than 50 years ago.

That being said, I think fuel is pretty cheap. I remember unleaded regular selling for $2/gallon back in the early 80s, and now it's back to less than $3/gallon with all the taxes. That being said, I remember when a typical candy bar was 20 cents, and now it can be anywhere from 70 cents to a dollar.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
LOL.

You've got as much cred as the next so called interwebz expert.
crackmeup2.gif

What did your master Putin set for your agenda this week?

It is the same story with a stock price or the market in general. Unemployment numbers come out and at the end of the day whether the market goes up or down, the analyst will always be able to explain why good number made the market down (or up) as the case may be.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's all the sales of the Fiat 500e (electric) that's driving the prices down.

Fiat500e03.jpg

Looks like a wind-up toy I had as a kid!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
You guys need to look past cheap gas prices. It is merely a diversion. Look past Black Fridays and look at what has been happening with the Federal Reserve, look for the mass dumping of the American dollar, look for China stealthily buying mass quantities of gold. Look for a mystery investor backing up the Fed from Belguim.

All [censored] information. The dollar is going up and the price of gold is collapsing, and the Fed doesn't need a "mystery investor", whatever the [censored] that means. The Fed could right this minute buy every single treasury bond in the secondary market and nothing would change. QE proved this. In addition, the USA still has by far the highest gold reserves of any country. All this talk of dollar collapse, China and the rest of the world creating a gold backed monetary system to usurp the United States, has been peddled now for darn near half a century and it's absolute LOON information. If China dumped the dollar, it would crush their economy because it's been export based.

That is one scary response

Originally Posted By: supton
I have vague memories of gas being under a buck per gallon...

I took a trip to Memphis in 1998 and saw gas for as low as 97 cents a gallon on that trip.

When I was a kid, gas was 97 cents a gallon in New York.

My mom used to put five dollars in her cavalier and that was good for almost a week.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: supton
I have vague memories of gas being under a buck per gallon...

I took a trip to Memphis in 1998 and saw gas for as low as 97 cents a gallon on that trip.

When I used to drive down from PA to SC to visit my parents
every year gas was as low as 89 cents/gal and it was major brand too.

From the "when I was a kid files".

I remember dad handing me a $5 bill to take into the gas station for a fill up. 24.9¢/gal. Full tank was right at about the 20 gallon mark on the old Plymouth.

Since 2000, the lowest I have run across was $1.149.

When I owned a gas station in the 80s,gas went from 79.9 to 86.9. Each tanker cost about $6800 to $8000 depending on grades.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
I could push my empty Bug to the pumps at Tri-S and cruise around all week for 3 bucks in 1970.

I remember those days. I had a 63 Beetle that I thought ran on air. We had two small gas stations around the corner from us, right across the street from each other, that would have their on little "gas wars". Same time frame as you, gas could be bought for 17 cents a gallon and you got Green Stamps as a perk. Anyone remember Green Stamps?

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Originally Posted By: andyd
I could push my empty Bug to the pumps at Tri-S and cruise around all week for 3 bucks in 1970.

I remember those days. I had a 63 Beetle that I thought ran on air. We had two small gas stations around the corner from us, right across the street from each other, that would have their on little "gas wars". Same time frame as you, gas could be bought for 17 cents a gallon and you got Green Stamps as a perk. Anyone remember Green Stamps?
Yes I remember Green Stamps and Blu Chip stamps as well. The lowest price I remember was 19.9 cents per gallon. We as consumers are really being fooled.

Yeah, the old gas wars between stations. I got caught up in one of them in '92 when I was tanking fuel back then. Gas war got started, it was next to a military base, and the lines from both the public and the military folks made it a challenge to keep the storage tanks filled up. Was a real challenge trying to get a tanker load of gas in there to dump it. Might have been a real pain for me, being the fuel hauler, but I would sure relish seeing a gas war again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back