Why I buy American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I truly do not understand this "buy American" or whatever brand loyalty at all. These companies have no loyalty to us or this country what so ever, as Toyota, Honda and Nissan have proven recently by threatening to leave Japan if their government does nothing to weaken Yen. Big three are no different.

If we want to help in creating jobs and preserving manufacturing jobs, we need to make outsourcing more expansive than production here. This is the only way. Buying from domestic manufacturers will not in any way guarantee they will produce here as long as cheaper alternatives exist.

You want proof of that, go to a grocery store and see how many fruits and vegetables are being imported form China, you can't say people not buying food is the cause of that.
Same goes with electronics, and virtually every other item that was made in NA but is outsourced. Demand was never the cause, pure economic advantage always is. Take that advantage and manufacturing will be brought back.

Simply stated, but well said.
01.gif

Walmart actually at one time insisted on sourcing American products. What happened was a result of trade policies. That's what needs to be changed. There is no way we can ever compete with cheap foreign labor and there will never be a shortage of it. Sooner or later, we will have to protect our industries or they will all be gone.

Originally Posted By: kelpie
Walmart actually at one time insisted on sourcing American products. What happened was a result of trade policies. That's what needs to be changed. There is no way we can ever compete with cheap foreign labor and there will never be a shortage of it. Sooner or later, we will have to protect our industries or they will all be gone.

Couldn't agree more, although many on here, due to 'principle' would derisively label you as a 'commie' for even suggesting that, and would rather have our country go down the drain for said "principle", than to save it with a little intervention.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex

The second reason is I haven't seen very many cars out of detroit lately that I really like.

In my case that's the primary reason that I haven't bought an American car- aside from my TJ. That said, I'd consider a Boss 302 Laguna Seca or Z06 if/when the UAW collapses.

I buy the car that best suits my needs with the highest percieved quality. I don't care if its a Ford, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Kia, or whatever.

Qaulity wise, I'll put my '04 Legacy up against anything from the big 3 in 2004, the Subie definitely had a quality advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back