Why are there METAL SHAVINGS in the oil return of these ******* filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed metal shavings/other crap in the threads of many filters I've seen. it is so bad that I have to look through ten filters before finding one that is reasonably clean. Ac delco and motorcraft seem to be the best, but I've noticed this on mobil 1 filters, so it can't just be a quality thing. the oil returns to the bearings through the cenbter hole, so any metal that might fall into the filter could cause problems. why do filter manufacturers not fix this?

I have never notice any metal in any filter I use
but I have seen some lint like material that I clean off before the install. I will be checking closer for this type of problem as I was unaware this could even happen.

I've noticed it too from time to time. Now I always inspect them filters before buying. Metal shavings from cutting the spin on threads and you never know who will be a smart *** and sabotage a filter while on the shelf.

gotboost I have seen this as well. One corection though. The oil flows (unfiltered) in the big hole in the center and flows out(filtered) to the engine from the smaller holes around the outside of the filter.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
gotboost I have seen this as well. One corection though. The oil flows (unfiltered) in the big hole in the center and flows out(filtered) to the engine from the smaller holes around the outside of the filter.

Wrong... The large hole is the outlet which makes the metal chip problem dangerous. You guys are right. Very important to inspect.

Whenever possible, buy only those filters that come on the celowrap and always clean the threads with the filter in an upside position prior to applying a light grease to the threads -- come on you guys get with the program will ya!!!!!!
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:

that's incorrect for all applications that i've seen.

I twirl a magnet around the threads. Not uncommon to have filing dust on it when I pull it out.

From another post in the Oil Forum:

This is just my opion backed by over 14 years as an ASE certified technician and a life time DIY'er.

Mr. Browning, how can this be, and yet you state that the oil flows backwards through the filter?!

How does it get past that little rubber flapper valve pushed up against those "smaller holes"?

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
From another post in the Oil Forum:

This is just my opion backed by over 14 years as an ASE certified technician and a life time DIY'er.

Mr. Browning, how can this be, and yet you state that the oil flows backwards through the filter?!

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

And the hits just keep on 'comin! (Maybe if he was a CLE he'd know what the big hole in the filter is for. Then again...)
wink.gif

If you can't tell which direction oil flows through a filter by looking at it, then **** , I don't think I want you servicing my vehicle!

OK, guys, he made a mistake and stuck his foot in his mouth. That doesn't make him an idiot. Now let it go. Who among us hasn't had a long cherished belief dashed?

quote:

Originally posted by SPITMAN:
Whenever possible, buy only those filters that come on the celowrap and always clean the threads with the filter in an upside position prior to applying a light grease to the threads -- come on you guys get with the program will ya!!!!!!
rolleyes.gif

Which ones come in cellophane? The only ones I've seen like this are the Japanese filters. The German MANN filters have a plastic cap on them.

ACDelco, M1, K&N, Purolator, Wix, etc., merely come in a cardboard box.

Up here in Canada our AC Delco filters come wrapped in Cellophane, and some of the NAPA Gold/Carquest Premiums do also.

I actually prefer they come in a box though, it makes it easier to have a spot to put the old filter into for when I have to take them back to the recycling center. Otherwise I have a bunch of loose filters rattling around with the chance for oil to spill all over my trunk.

I am not talking about outside contamination. the shavings I have seen appear to be from cutting the threads. I have actually seen slivers a half inch long in the threads, IU called purolator (one of the worst imo) and they referred to this as "angel hair" supposedly it gets worse as the tap gets worn. apparently they have people use a wire brush to clean the threads when too much "angel hair" is visible.

I take a double layer of paper towel wet with a little gasoline and wipe around the full length of the threaded section. It seems to remove the debris, but there may still be some left behind. (?)

I posted on another thread that the Hyundai OEM oil filters may be a direct replacement for Honda filters. I used two leftover SuperTech 2808s on my new Sonata, and one OEM Honda filter I had leftover without ill effects so I suspect that since the 2808s were x-referenced to Hondas and Hyundais, the Hyundai filter would be acceptable, too. (This isn't proof, though, since I realize I'm x-referencing a x-reference.) But, I have no idea how close the actual flow rate and the bypass opening pressure of the Hyundai filter compares to those of the Honda filter. They seem to be heavy and well built. They're made in Korea. My Hyundai dealer gets $3.99 each or three for $7.98. They come in a box, but have a heat-shrunk plastic cap over the business end. (You know, the end with one big threaded hole and several little holes that caused so much of a stir on this thread earlier?...
grin.gif
) The mounting threads in the oil return port on the one I bought were clean right out of the box. Not even a sign of cutting oil/debris gunk on a gasoline-moistened paper towel.

This is a used "valvoline maxlife" VF3593A filter, and you can see a piece of thread cutting debris stuck to the thread after removing the filter from the car. Debris is the white line at the top of the central hole.
7427.jpg

Quote:

How does it get past that little rubber flapper valve pushed up against those "smaller holes"?

The anti-drainback valve now becomes the anti-supply valve.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back