Why are SAE sockets formatted in fractions?

This is totally one of those sitting on the toilet pondering life questions but it’s stuck in my head.

I recently had to work on a project which required me to buy and use SAE sockets. I really only work on fairly modern cars and motorcycles which are by and large metric so never really used SAE. I noticed when grabbing sockets from the box and bringing them over to the workpiece I struggled initially a little with assessing how much larger a socket was in proportion to another because the denominator was different so lost perception of scale, a quick way to solve this would to use decimals. Why don’t they do that? I’m sure there’s a reason and I know if you work in standard all the time it becomes second nature but always was curious why they never just did decimals vs different fractions it seems like it would be easier to delineate between sockets like metric.

Last edited:
This is totally one of those sitting on the toilet pondering life questions but it’s stuck in my head.

I recently had to work on a project which required me to buy and use SAE sockets. I really only work on fairly modern cars and motorcycles which are by and large metric so never really used SAE. I noticed when grabbing sockets from the box and bringing them over to the workpiece I struggled with assessing how much larger a socket was in proportion to another because the denominator was different so lost perception of scale, a quick way to solve this would to use decimals. Why don’t they do that? I’m sure there’s a reason and I know if you work in standard all the time it becomes second nature but always was curious why they never just did decimals vs different fractions it seems like it would be easier to delineate between sockets like metric.
Cause SAE is based in 'murica and they don't hassle with no metric system. It's all English system because 'murica. ;)

I recently had to work on a project which required me to buy and use SAE sockets. I really only work on fairly modern cars and motorcycles which are by and large metric so never really used SAE. I noticed when grabbing sockets from the box and bringing them over to the workpiece I struggled with assessing how much larger a socket was in proportion to another because the denominator was different so lost perception of scale, a quick way to solve this would to use decimals. Why don’t they do that? I’m sure there’s a reason and I know if you work in standard all the time it becomes second nature but always was curious why they never just did decimals vs different fractions it seems like it would be easier to delineate between sockets like metric.
One of the reasons is that historically it necessary to use fractions with dividers and measuring lines, plus the fact that the Imperial system does often revolve around units of 6.

SAE would be easier if they didn't simplify the fractions and left every with 16 as the denominator. Instead of 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 1/2... you'd have 2/16, 3/16, 4/16, 8/16, etc.

Not coming up in something like the construction world, I also struggled until I went to school for machining.

We were forced to memorize all fractions in 1/16ths, and then that made it easy for me. Now I can relate fractions without thinking about it, but if I'm doubting myself I'll confirm that yes, "eight twelve" is indeed more than "seven-fifty" and so on.

I know most of the 32nds in fractions, too. Handy for measuring holes with calipers and immediately knowing what that translates to.

Oh and friends don't let friends use calipers with a fractional readout. That's like clip-on ties or velcro shoes :D

I guess to answer your question OP, memorize the fractions as decimals as you suggest, and you'll have it dialed.

1/16 = .0625"
1/8= .125"
3/16 = .1875"

and so on ;)

Print a quiz sheet and work with your significant other a couple times a week. Like riding a bike, once you know it you won't forget.

I recently had to work on a project which required me to buy and use SAE sockets. I really only work on fairly modern cars and motorcycles which are by and large metric so never really used SAE. I noticed when grabbing sockets from the box and bringing them over to the workpiece I struggled initially a little with assessing how much larger a socket was in proportion to another because the denominator was different so lost perception of scale, a quick way to solve this would to use decimals. Why don’t they do that? I’m sure there’s a reason and I know if you work in standard all the time it becomes second nature but always was curious why they never just did decimals vs different fractions it seems like it would be easier to delineate between sockets like metric.
Yeah 4/32nds or 6/8ths is weird. I always thought quarters would be easier.

SAE would be easier if they didn't simplify the fractions and left every with 16 as the denominator. Instead of 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 1/2... you'd have 2/16, 3/16, 4/16, 8/16, etc.
Like the snap on (not the brand) length guards on hair clippers. They're 1/8" based (#1 = 1/8, #2 = 2/8, etc).

Back