Who Uses Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30 Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen on the g37 site where Mobil 1 did have higher than average wear metals in the UOAs there. Well even Motul and Redline didn't fare all that well either. Castrol 0w30 actually did the "best" with it's results.

I really don't put a whole bunch of credibility in the UOA results. I put a lot more credibility in real world experiences of what people actually use.

I believe that one could throw a blanket over Exxon Mobil, Chevron, and SOPUS in terms of making quality oils. They all do a great job of giving consumers a great opportunity to pick which oil best suits their needs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I heard that also but like i said i don't remember where i heard or read that..

I first read it in a post saying not to listen to it.

Never saw the original wave of "high iron" M1 posts.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I always feel like I've been to a leper colony when I get home from Walmart. Really the only game in town but *&@#^%!&^%$.
That is pretty much the truth but the oil prices makes the risk worthwhile.

Yeah some Walmarts are pretty Deliverancesque. Plus,they're actually getting kind've expensive on groceries I've noticed. $3 a gallon for their house brand milk vs HEB's $1.99? Their house brands' quality is getting a bit subpar too. I'll buy all my grocery items at a dedicated grocery store,usually HEB.

You have to watch your prices at wal mart they are not always the cheapest... Even on oil sometimes there are better deals..
They had a good deal on Mobil 1 5w30 advanced full synthetic my brother and son just bought a few jugs each there is a rebate from Mobil i think its $12.00 a jug but im not sure..

I have been using M1 5W30 in my turbo Forester for a while and have been pleased with it, especially in the cold weather.
Tried M1 5W30 ESP for my spring change and did not like that the engine ran hotter with it, even though I doubt that is really a problem and it is understandable given its higher HTHS. Went back to plain ol M1 with the last change and am starting to think about what to run when my car is out of warranty and I do not feel constrained to stick with 5W30. Needs to have low calcium (LSPI), low cold viscosity, low SAPS, low NOACK, and a decent TBN. M1 5W30 is actually pretty good on all counts...

To answer OP's question: Not me. Never have and prolly never will... Not a Mobil1 fan boy. I own EOM stock so I hope you'all buy lots of it (
smile.gif
), but it's usually not cost effective for me ...

Plus I'm more a Delo/Rotella kinda guy
laugh.gif

I use it during rebate times, like stocking up now. Any name brand oil is fine. Doesn't matter what you use unless you're going way past owner's manual recommended.

my brother changes his oil once a year and thats it he sometimes puts on between 6000-9000 miles a year because they have 4 cars. He knows a lot about vehicles he also owned his own shop but his was transmissions mine was engines. He is in the process of opening a general repair/trans shop.

Originally Posted By: corndogzombie
I was told that Mobil 1 was known for producing high iron counts in uoas

I thought that was only true in 4.0/2.5L Jeeps.

Can honestly say I've never used M1 5w30 in anything.

I heard about the high Iron with Mobil 1 but that may not be true anymore but i don't know for sure.. I will find out soon my brother and son decided this is their new go to synthetic oil and i may follow my next few oil changes and pull a blackstone report. My brother is opening a new shop very shortly and my son will be working there so im going with the oil they like because they will be changing my oil all the time...LOL
Im sure that won't last long ..lol

I heard about the high Iron with Mobil 1 but that may not be true anymore but i don't know for sure.. I will find out soon my brother and son decided this is their new go to synthetic oil and i may follow my next few oil changes and pull a blackstone report. My brother is opening a new shop very shortly and my son will be working there so im going with the oil they like because they will be changing my oil all the time...LOL

The UOA's showing high iron with Mobil 1 seems to be mainly the SM Mobil 1. Once Mobil 1 was changed to SN, the reports seem to be better. The SN versions produce UOA's similar to other oils, if not better. The high iron in certain UOA's was in certain engines, jeeps and GM, mainly, now was it Mobil 1 or something to do with those particular engines?
Honda and Toyota engines produce low iron counts with Mobil 1, but they use really good metals to start with.

You have to watch your prices at wal mart they are not always the cheapest... Even on oil sometimes there are better deals..
They had a good deal on Mobil 1 5w30 advanced full synthetic my brother and son just bought a few jugs each there is a rebate from Mobil i think its $12.00 a jug but im not sure..

Yes, after rebate you can buy M1 through end of October for $2.17/qt or $10.85/jug. I don't know if WM charges more for "advanced FS." The QSUD will cost more even after their $7 rebate through Dec 31st. M1 tends to have a stronger viscosity than the PP/QSUD in the 30 grades. M1 20/30 grades get you a higher magnesium add package. The SOPUS products are high calcium/no magnesium. Pick your option.

I prefer the non-magnesium/non-sodium oils so that means PP/QSUD/M1 0w-40. Mobil 1 does alter the add package for their 0w-40 to match/exceed the PP/PU add packs. My 1999 Camaro has been on M1 since 1999. I haven't seen any issues at all. I run the M1 0w-40. I used to run the M1 5w-30. Until there's more definitive word on the benefits of magnesium or sodium add packs...I'll stick with the high calcium ones. Castrol Edge used to have a heavy magnesium oil but switched back to the Calcium add pack in 2015.

Originally Posted By: njohnson

The UOA's showing high iron with Mobil 1 seems to be mainly the SM Mobil 1. Once Mobil 1 was changed to SN, the reports seem to be better. The SN versions produce UOA's similar to other oils, if not better. The high iron in certain UOA's was in certain engines, jeeps and GM, mainly, now was it Mobil 1 or something to do with those particular engines?
Honda and Toyota engines produce low iron counts with Mobil 1, but they use really good metals to start with.

GM and Nissan engines typically show higher numbers, but that doesn't reflect in reduced engine longevity.

The regular Mobil 1 has better viscosity numbers as compared to Advanced. I noticed more burn off with Advance in my sister's Cruze turbo. Went back to regular mobil 1, problem solved.

Would be interesting to see if there is a correlation to block construction - for example my GM V8 is an aluminum block with cast iron sleeves in the cylinder where some vehicles don't have the sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back