Who steals a Kia ?

I get a laugh out of all the Kia bashers. I guess the Telluride and Stinger and their Genesis cousins are garbage too. H/K makes some very nice vehicles. Having said that, H/K hurt themselves by not fixing the issues with a couple of their engines sooner (2.4 in particular). I'm still not sure if they have those issues under control and that's why I advised my daughter to buy her Mazda CX-30 over the Kona/ Steltos that we were looking at. Our 2008 Elantra was an excellent vehicle and is still running for its new owner with over 150k. PS: I do believe our 'criminal justice' system is broken.

Last edited:
I get a laugh out of all the Kia bashers. I guess the Telluride and Stinger and their Genesis cousins are garbage too. H/K makes some very nice vehicles. Having said that, H/K hurt themselves by not fixing the issues with a couple of their engines sooner (2.4 in particular). I'm still not sure if they have those issues under control and that's why I advised my daughter to buy her Mazda CX-30 over the Kona/ Steltos that we were looking at. Our 2008 Elantra was an excellent vehicle and is still running for its new owner with over 150k. PS: I do believe our 'criminal justice' system is broken.
No different than me being a regular here and owning the two you don’t like - and they get bashed here all the time …
Most everything and everyone get bashed here …
(look at the Tesla and Musk threads) …

We bought our Kia because it was the car my wife liked most in that class. So far we have had 1 minor warranty issue which was some sort of bearing in the steering column causing a noise. Was replaced without issue and they gave us a loaner car. We had the security update done this week. Been a great car, but thieves don't usually steal a car based on how cool it is or isn't. More of a crime of opportunity.

The issue is the thieves are gangs of 13 year old boys, and they're too "innocent" to prprosecute.Maybe t
Maybe they should prosecute the parents for 'failing to supervise' their kids. I grew up with 4 brothers in the 'inner city' of NYC and our father used to say "If the cops bring you home...don't come home." Same with school...if the teacher said we misbehaved...my parents believed the teacher. Nowadays there are too many parents saying "not my boy...he's a good boy".

Maybe they should prosecute the parents for 'failing to supervise' their kids. I grew up with 4 brothers in the 'inner city' of NYC and our father used to say "If the cops bring you home...don't come home." Same with school...if the teacher said we misbehaved...my parents believed the teacher. Nowadays there are too many parents saying "not my boy...he's a good boy
Our parents shared the same sentiment.

Reactions: pbm
Maybe they should prosecute the parents for 'failing to supervise' their kids. I grew up with 4 brothers in the 'inner city' of NYC and our father used to say "If the cops bring you home...don't come home." Same with school...if the teacher said we misbehaved...my parents believed the teacher. Nowadays there are too many parents saying "not my boy...he's a good boy".
I was born in East NY, moved to Queens then L.I. My father, God Bless him, had zero tolerance for BS, liars, disrespectful children, and poor parenting. If my brother and/or I was wrong, we'd have hell to pay. Some of these kids and their parents today need a good lesson from parents like ours. ;)

We bought our Kia because it was the car my wife liked most in that class. So far we have had 1 minor warranty issue which was some sort of bearing in the steering column causing a noise. Was replaced without issue and they gave us a loaner car. We had the security update done this week. Been a great car, but thieves don't usually steal a car based on how cool it is or isn't. More of a crime of opportunity.
Same here. Wife found a 2020 Soul X-line that she loves. I didn't know anything about the "Kia Boyz" thing happening and honestly I'm not sure if it would have effected our decision to buy it??? Maybe? Anyway, really a fun little car and she loves it. We haven't had the security update done yet because of a remote starter incompatibility issue. Anyway, we use a steering wheel lock that "ties" the wheel to the seat belt latch when we are out. I'm aware that the steering wheel is the weak link in any mechanical lock but it seems that these "Kia Boys" morons are more smash and grab and aren't looking to put time and effort into the vehicle thefts. My mother-in-law has a Sorento that is really an amazing car as well.

Would I be touching the political 3rd rail if I said Uncle Sam makes a lousy father? Thank God all my non-immobilizer vehicles have manual transmissions... (And, H/K builds a decent car if you don't have a 2.4 Theta, nor keep it forever-I would likely buy a Soul if they still built a non-turbo manual!)

Our parents shared the same sentiment.
100% correct. I grew up with just as much fear of my neighbors as my parents because it was understood that they could "discipline" me just as well as my parents. I question if charging parents would have much of an effect though. Willing to bet that a good majority of these "kids" don't know who their fathers are and mothers really couldn't care less. Start locking up the kids in juvi for longer than a day and a half and see if that has an impact?

A little humorous aside....when my 2 daughters were young they would sometimes argue and one would tell the other..."get out of my room". I pointed out that I couldn't tell my brothers that because the 5 of us shared the same room (sets of bunk beds) and 1 bathroom for the family of 7 on the 3rd floor of a 5 story tenement. My kids also couldn't believe that teachers could and often did hit us (Catholic School). I wouldn't tell my parents or I'd get whacked again.. PS: I wasn't 'traumatized' by those whacks...but it did teach manners. I think Dr. Spock's theory is a failure.

Last edited:
A little humorous aside....when my 2 daughters were young they would sometimes argue and one would tell the other..."get out of my room". I pointed out that I couldn't tell my brothers that because the 5 of us shared the same room (sets of bunk beds) and 1 bathroom for the family of 7 on the 3rd floor of a 5 story tenement. My kids also couldn't believe that teachers could and often did hit us (Catholic School). I wouldn't tell my parents or I'd get whacked again.. PS: I wasn't 'traumatized' by those whacks...but it did teach manners. I think Dr. Spock's theory is a failure. (I think he was the one that pushed the anti corporal punishment agenda.)
Ha! I am also a "survivor" of Catholic School from grade 6-12. Sister Justine was absolutely deadly with a yard stick! Pretty sure she was an Olympic level fencer or learned it from some Martial Arts master or something.

While I agree with you about the decline of the middle class... look at who "keeps telling people they are disadvantaged". It's the most advantaged people in America pushing that narrative. It's called "Divide and Conquer".
To some extend that's true. Here, the local news station spends an hour a day telling people they are disadvantaged with "uplifting" stories of achievement and social awareness.

Personally, I'd get a year older Honda or Toyota if it came down to that vs same X amount of money to buy a Kia.

Last edited:
Poor people do NOT own cars.

They walk, ride a pedal bike, or take a bus.
You'll find cars in all run down neighborhoods, apartments, and public housing. Some run, some don't. Certainly I'd call these residents poor. You don't have to live large to be wealthy but there is a certain minimum standard of living that people choose unless they have no other choice.

100% correct. I grew up with just as much fear of my neighbors as my parents because it was understood that they could "discipline" me just as well as my parents. I question if charging parents would have much of an effect though. Willing to bet that a good majority of these "kids" don't know who their fathers are and mothers really couldn't care less. Start locking up the kids in juvi for longer than a day and a half and see if that has an impact?
Absolutely 100% in step. My neighbors were just an extension of my parents.

Know why the Club is excellent? Cops can hassle you for having a bat in your car, even with a ball and glove. Can't say anything about the Club.
I always found this interesting, or an old "wive's tale." I'm a retired cop and I've never once, nor do I know of any other cop, who has ever hassled anyone for a bat in their car. I've seen just about everything possible in vehicles I had pulled over or involved in accidents, a bat was never a concern.

I always found this interesting, or an old "wive's tale." I'm a retired cop and I've never once, nor do I know of any other cop, who has ever hassled anyone for a bat in their car. I've seen just about everything possible in vehicles I had pulled over or involved in accidents, a bat was never a concern.
On Long Island it was. That's how everyone learned the ball and glove trick.

On Long Island it was. That's how everyone learned the ball and glove trick.
Interesting.
Officer: Is that a bat in your car?
Driver: Yes.
Officer: Why do you have a bat in your car?
Driver: Because I want it there.

Encounter over.
Always amazed me that people never tell cops no. I've always told my wife and daughter, if a cop ever asks to search you, your car, or your belongings, the answer is no. Period.

Back