Who steals a Kia ?

I had never heard about them being easy to steal, until today.
Killing a thief should get you an award, and gift certificate to your favorite store, for a job well done.

I don't like my stuff being stolen but death of the thief seems a bit harsh. It's only an object, and I have insurance for anything worth it.

They should go to jail for sure, but I pity people who wound up in a place in life where they feel they need to do this, or lack the morals and/or common sense to not do things just because they see it on social media.

If I had a Kia, which would make me pity myself for having ;), I'd pick a vital circuit and put in a hidden kill switch. Starter interrupt seems like one of the safer circuits, in case something goes wrong later, you don't want fuel injectors or something else imperative for driving to shut down while you are.

Taking ours in on Wednesday for the security update. We got our free steering wheel lock from our local PD in the meantime. There was one unsuccesful attempt to break into it last year on Father's Day but I'm not sure if they were trying to take the whole car or just the bag my wife left out in the open.

I don't like my stuff being stolen but death of the thief seems a bit harsh. It's only an object, and I have insurance for anything worth it.

They should go to jail for sure,
but I pity people who wound up in a place in life where they feel they need to do this, or lack the morals and/or common sense to not do things just because they see it on social media.

If I had a Kia, which would make me pity myself for having ;), I'd pick a vital circuit and put in a hidden kill switch. Starter interrupt seems like one of the safer circuits, in case something goes wrong later, you don't want fuel injectors or something else imperative for driving to shut down while you are.
Yup...it's just a thing...

I had never heard about them being easy to steal, until today.
Killing a thief should get you an award, and gift certificate to your favorite store, for a job well done.
Can't we just cut off some hands and feet? Seems a little extreme and no, punishment by death isn't any more of a deterrent than a long prison sentence, it's just vigilantism and collectively chaos in a society when the masses take justice into their own hands.

One might just as well ask "Who drives a Kia"?
People drive what they can afford and if a Kia is it then that's what they buy.
The tragedy in this is that the punks who steal these cars are robbing a typically lower income family of their essential transportation to get to work, to get their kids to school or day care and to shop.
Those doing the stealing are probably too young and dumb to reflect upon the consequences their actions will have.

They should go to jail for sure, but I pity people who wound up in a place in life where they feel they need to do this, or lack the morals and/or common sense to not do things just because they see it on social media.

And this is why crime has exploded in this country. Also why the insurance you have, and pay for, costs a fortune just like mine.
Sad that a Kia is such a disgrace to you that you would "pity yourself." Perhaps that's what people can afford. Or ya know, maybe they like the car. I suspect you have a Bentley and a Rolls in the garage?

There was a time in this country if you stole a horse or someone's livestock, you could be shot or hanged. Obviously, we are more civilized today. But from my POV in the current legal environment there is no strong deterrent that keeps these miserable examples from doing what they do. That has to change.
Your observation is correct...even violent crimes seem to be unpunishable these days....especially for gov't favored groups.

And this is why crime has exploded in this country. Also why the insurance you have, and pay for, costs a fortune just like mine.
Sad that a Kia is such a disgrace to you that you would "pity yourself." Perhaps that's what people can afford. Or ya know, maybe they like the car. I suspect you have a Bentley and a Rolls in the garage?
No but Kias self-destruct. Bentley? No way I'd want one. It's not about price, rather about long term headaches.

It is not why crime has exploded. It has risen because of the decline of the middle class and social unrest. Thank the internet, fake news, shenanigans between our political parties, etc. Keep telling people they are disadvantaged and they start exercising the wrong kind of self-help. This is getting off topic so that's all I have to state about it.

No but Kias self-destruct. Bentley? No way I'd want one. It's not about price, rather about long term headaches.

It is not why crime has exploded. It has risen because of the decline of the middle class and social unrest. Thank the internet, fake news, shenanigans between our political parties, etc. Keep telling people they are disadvantaged and they start exercising the wrong kind of self-help. This is getting off topic so that's all I have to state about it.
Excellent response. I agree with some of what you said.
But as far as Kia's "self-destructing" I must be lucky as I have numerous family and friends, as well as myself, who've owned them without any issues. Anecdotal evidence of course but if it's worked for me I'm good with it.
At my age I've owned most of the "known" brands of cars. Chevys and Fords that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, to the biggest POS running that was the best car I ever owned. I even owned a Yugo in the late 80s. There is no bigger POS that has ever been built but I loved that car. Probably still own it if I wasn't T-boned as a kid.
My point is that one mans POS is another mans gem.
As far as the crime issue. I agree to an extent. My point is that crime increases when there are no repercussions. Make a show by "cutting off some heads" in the legal sense and crime generally decreases.

Reactions: pbm
My parents 2015 Sonata had the update and it was stolen a week later.
Something about that doesn't add up
I don't want to marginalize your experience, but did anyone test the functionality after it came back from the dealer?

Supposedly you have to double click the lock button (hearing the horn honk) for it to activate

I'm sorry to hear about your loss nonetheless

You ever tried a hacksaw on a Club? It's case hardened. Worked in a machine shop when I was in the military and we took a Club apart and used different methods to cut it apart. It's definitely possible to cut but a hacksaw was the least effective and took forever. Takes a typical blade, some coolant or lube of some sort, and a lot of time. All of which I'm thinking these Kia Boyz idiots don't have. Most effective way we found, other than a machine or fire, was a bolt cutter. BUT, it took alot of pressure and rather large cutter because of the case hardening; which again, I doubt these morons have. Cutting the steering wheel is the easiest way but they are "smash and grab." If they can't get in, rip it open and drive off with little or no effort, chances are they will move on. Maybe make a mess first but move on.
The steel is so hard, a can of R'12 refrigerant can get it cold enough you can snap it in half.

While I agree with you about the decline of the middle class... look at who "keeps telling people they are disadvantaged". It's the most advantaged people in America pushing that narrative. It's called "Divide and Conquer".

Last edited:
Poor people do NOT own cars.

They walk, ride a pedal bike, or take a bus.

Saying someone is disadvantaged because they drive a Kia is actually comical.
They are not cheap to buy, insurance, maintenance, gas, parking, etc.
Not driving a Ferrari, doesn't mean that a person is poor.

People who read more than you. j/k
My retarded uncle could read but had enough common sense not to steal a car

My guess is the thieves are far less intelligent given they think stealing a vehicle will only result in great things

So the ability to watch a moronic video doesn’t make the thief any less subhuman or any less of a mindless crackhead.

You could work minimum wage and still have a better chance at take home pay.

Back