Who Owns A Beater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your E46's front control arms consist of two ball joints and a replaceable bushing. You need new control arms; I said this in your last thread.

You may also need new bushings in the rear, since your steering wheel angles at speed.

My beater is made by GE and we use it mainly for mixing cake batter . Has held up well.

96 Crown Vic 4.6 with over 300,000 miles!
thumbsup2.gif

We drive it to work and back home every day! It's going to be replaced this summer with a much newer vehicle
wink.gif

Stay tuned!

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Beater?

I think that our 2002 Honda Civic that we bought new back in late 2001 and that I affectionately refer to as the "battle civic" qualifies.

My wife drove it for the first five years and put 100k on it. Then it went through three teenagers who learned to drive a stick in it. Amazingly with 241k it still has the original clutch.

At this point I can't sell it because it starts every time, has cold air, gets 35mpg no matter how hard I thrash it and the radio still works.

The interior is still in pretty good shape but the exterior has lots of dings and dents. I don't need a third car but it does come in handy sometimes and it only costs me a few hundred bucks a year to keep it insured. I sometimes want to sell it but always come to the conclusion that it is worth more to me than the $600 that I could sell it for.

Here are a few pics from over the years...
Thanksgiving%202009%20014-XL.jpg

007-XL.jpg

013-XL.jpg

IMG_20140613_060513741-X2.jpg

I'd give you a lot more than $600 for that car, and I think a lot of others would too. BTW, as you've seen the clutch on that generation civic is practically indestructible. 300k on mine driving up and down mountains for 11 years and it's still as strong as ever.

I think both of our Cavaliers qualify...

The 1999 has over 225k on it, leaks about a quart every 5k miles, and the goats destroyed the front paint before we penned them up. That said, everything works (though I've fixed the A/C twice), it gets driven every day, has never left us stranded (except for the one time a wire broke off under the hood).

The 2000 has broken A/C, no battery, and needs 3 tires. We took the tires and battery to keep the 1999 running, and haven't gotten around to replacing them yet. Doesn't matter, as we're getting a 2012 Tacoma this weekend (yay, something relevant to this decade) and have no use for a third vehicle at the moment.

I just gave my beater away in April.

1996 Saturn SL2 5 speed - 308,000KM

No A/C
No headliner
2 perpetually failed front wheel bearings (loud to drive)
Brake fluid leak somewhere never found it
Burned a quart of oil about every 2 weeks
crack in the front subframe caused knocks on dry steering

But the engine and transmission were awesome and it never let me down.

So I just bought a $250 2001 SL for a station car.

Headliner is held up with staples.

Plastic was all cracked up, I fished metal behind it and reassembled with pop_rivets.

I paid for it with a dead battery so I never heard it run. It turns out it needed an exhaust flexpipe ($20 weld-in) and a clutch ($85, ebay.)

Needed two tie rod ends (under $5 on rock auto) and a wheel bearing to pass inspection.

I also tricked it into passing all its emissions I/M monitors with cardboard over the radiator. I've since put a proper thermostat in it, but the challenge upon me at the time was to get it legal, cheap.
wink.gif

The AC is dead. I suspect since it's missing all of its undercarriage plastic, and even the dopey bottom part of the bumper, that the condenser took a stone.

The rear was covered with stupid bumper stickers (Coexist, etc) that I scraped off with a hair dryer and razor blade. I still have "goo" which I hope gasoline will dissolve.

190k and it runs like a raped ape.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I just gave my beater away in April.

1996 Saturn SL2 5 speed - 308,000KM

No A/C
No headliner
2 perpetually failed front wheel bearings (loud to drive)
Brake fluid leak somewhere never found it
Burned a quart of oil about every 2 weeks
crack in the front subframe caused knocks on dry steering

But the engine and transmission were awesome and it never let me down.

Goo is gone!
lol.gif

Nothing but 2 cents worth of unleaded 87, a few paper towels, razor blade, and a little elbow grease.

The black spots are plastic showing through; the paint came off with the bumper stickers.

Just replaced one beater with another. Civic with 300k, overdue for timing belt and developing numerous suspension problems,cracked exhaust manifold, no functioning door locks and many interior pieces facing off, and plenty of rust. New beater is 2003 Civic with 165k, timing belt and water pump, and transmission fluid recently changed, like new interior, a few scratches and dings but absolutely no rust. The "upgrade" cost me $1000. Hopefully I made a good change.

My 2012 Impreza is slowly turning into a beater. At first I tried to keep the paint nice, parked away from people to stop it from getting dents. Then at some point you realize it's pointless on a daily driver and stop caring.

Originally Posted By: horse123
My 2012 Impreza is slowly turning into a beater. At first I tried to keep the paint nice, parked away from people to stop it from getting dents. Then at some point you realize it's pointless on a daily driver and stop caring.

Yep, my Camry is like that. One busted headlight (shimmed in place with a block of wood), a number of scrapes and dents from parking lots. Rock chips in the hood and roof. A few stains in the interior. Whatever. Buy it new with the options you want, rack up 10yr/200k+, trade off. Lather rinse repeat.

1993 Accord SE 2dr @ 430K KM's

- driver side door lock broken (idjits breaking into car)
- TCU resistors / caps gone so trans fully manual; Reverse, 2nd and 4th available.
- Windshield broken; leaks water internally

Looking for replacement soon and this one will be off to the crusher.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
'00 VW GTI 293K miles.
Ripped leather driver's seat
Broken center armrest
Broken glovebox hinge
Flaking paint
Leaking oil & power steering fluid
Shocks/Struts shot
Headliner disintegrating
Cracks in windshield

Wow, still driving that thing.

Status