Who Owns A Beater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I've had a number of old, high-mileage cars. But try as I might, I just can't treat a machine as a "beater." If something breaks, I fix it. Even my old Satellite with 430,000+ miles, and my not nearly as old 2001 Cherokee I bought for next to nothing. Heck, I sold the Cherokee in better shape than I bought it and never really spent big bucks, just took care of the little neglected stuff.

Wow, haven't heard much about a Satellite in a long time. I drove my parents' old 68 through college. It had about 130k on it when I graduated and was pretty well used up, although it still ran. They gave it away to somebody. Man, that thing really drank the gas (and oil). 430k on one is incredible.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
My 05 Civic went from decent car to beater over this past winter. Stands at just over 300k miles. I think its about done. Can't lock either door with the key or the key will stick in the lock. The pull tab for the hood release broke so have to use pliers to pull the cable. Front bumper dented by a hit and run in parking lot. Deer did a faceplant into the side of it this winter and basically dented in the whole passenger side of the car. It also caused the paint from a previous repair to crack and it is now rusting, has some decent amount of rusting in other areas too. Thing is the engine and clutch and transmission are still strong. Now its developed some kind of whining noise that I need to track down and its due for timing belt replacement. It also has a crack in the exhaust manifold that I am able to temporarily patch for a few months at a time, after which it cracks through again and I have to clean it all off and repatch. Definitely a beater. Most all of this stuff happened in the last six months. The car seems to be wearing out all at once, which is good in a way I guess instead of slowly nickel and diming me. I'll hate to see it go, it was basically flawless until all of this happened at once.
If you buy another car, maybe make this one the winter beater, uninsure in the summer and reinsure in the winter.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: dlayman
My 05 Civic went from decent car to beater over this past winter. Stands at just over 300k miles. I think its about done. Can't lock either door with the key or the key will stick in the lock. The pull tab for the hood release broke so have to use pliers to pull the cable. Front bumper dented by a hit and run in parking lot. Deer did a faceplant into the side of it this winter and basically dented in the whole passenger side of the car. It also caused the paint from a previous repair to crack and it is now rusting, has some decent amount of rusting in other areas too. Thing is the engine and clutch and transmission are still strong. Now its developed some kind of whining noise that I need to track down and its due for timing belt replacement. It also has a crack in the exhaust manifold that I am able to temporarily patch for a few months at a time, after which it cracks through again and I have to clean it all off and repatch. Definitely a beater. Most all of this stuff happened in the last six months. The car seems to be wearing out all at once, which is good in a way I guess instead of slowly nickel and diming me. I'll hate to see it go, it was basically flawless until all of this happened at once.
If you buy another car, maybe make this one the winter beater, uninsure in the summer and reinsure in the winter.

I do have another car, a 2015 civic that is my driver in non-winter months. The 05 is for winter driving. If it sits too long without being driven though, the brakes tend to get noisy / sticky and the tires flat spot so I drive it once a week or so the rest of year. Even though our winter was so mild this year I really didn't need to drive this vehicle (has snow tires) much at all, but I was having so many close calls with deer, I ended up driving it every day, not wanting to have the new one smashed. Ended up having one ram me, so I'm glad I followed that choice.

My mom's 1994 Ford Explorer has reached beater status. It's a 2 door model. The door hinges are worn out and the doors sag. The passenger door barely closes at all. It's impossible to close while sitting in the passenger seat; you must close it from the outside, lifting the door up while simultaneously pushing it closed with your hip. My mom travels alone 99% of the time, so she just avoids opening the passenger door altogether. On the rare occasion she has a passenger (usually me), it's generally easier to climb in through the driver's side and slide over the center console to the passenger seat.

The gas gauge and cruise control haven't worked in over a decade. Just use the trip odometer instead and she doesn't use cruise control anyway.

ABS light is on about 70% of the time, but comes and goes.

Engine has slight lower intake gasket leak, just add a few ounces of coolant once a week.

Rocker panels are rusted out, but it's mostly hidden by plastic moldings. Front and rear bumpers have heavy surface rust. Paint looks good from 10 feet away, but is faded and chipping off on the roof. Also has a patch of surface rust on the rear liftgate.

Rear bumper is a little crooked and pushed in from being rear-ended twice, both times the damage was never fixed.

Half of the instrument cluster lights are burnt out.

It has 206k miles and still runs great and is still very reliable.

As far as my vehicles go, I don't consider any of them to be a beater. The Accord is old, but it's in fantastic shape. No rust or dents, mechanically excellent condition, all accessories still work, etc. Not a beater yet. The Bronco I guess could be considered a beater, but hopefully not for long, as I'm trying to restore it. Therefore it does not get treated as a beater.

I don't really have what I would call "beaters"

The HL and Focus get driven Daily. I plan on keeping them until repairs cost more than the worth. I just replaced the waterpump on the HL after 178k. It started leaving drips on the garage floor. I also just replaced the spark plugs for the second time since we bought it @ 72k miles. It is the family car and has scrapes, dents, etc. The interior is so/so because of the kids. I figure we have about 10k total worth in all 3 vehicles, if that!

I'll chime in...my DD/beater is a 97 Volvo V90...last of the rear wheel drive Volvos. shiny black paint that I wax a couple of times a year, taupe leather in good shape that gets wiped down with Lexol conditioner quarterly, 4 almost new BFG Touring T/A tires. Now for the not-so-good:
1. coolant oozing/leaks, worse in cold weather
2. numerous suspension noises, more than I can count
3. A/C compressor overheats on hot days and stops blowing cold, intermittently
4. turn signals/emergency flashers sometimes don't blink, have to smack the switch on the dash and they will spring back to life for a couple of days
5. electrical gremlins in the taillamp wiring and sockets...keep melting sockets so the brake lights don't always work, except the one in the tailgate which always works

It has 205xxx miles and will likely still be running when I got bored with it, or my wife decrees that it's too ugly to park in front of the house.

I sold my beater back in September, but it was a 2004 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 4 A/T.

249,000 miles.

Issues:
AC didn't work
A few bad bushings upfront
HG leaked oil
Valve cover gasket leak
Transmission had seen better days(but worked)
Rear axle clunking
Check engine came on every 750 miles due to a fuel purge valve issue.

Granted if the car wasn't so rusty and it didn't have 249,000 miles I would have fixed it up and kept it. But it was quickly becoming a money pit.

When I was a kid, you could still find giant, solid land-yacht cars for a few hundred dollars and keep them running without much trouble or cost. I'm talking pre-computerized-everything kinda cars. When "roll down the window" actually meant something. The ones where you could bump into stuff and it didn't cost $1500 to fix a fender. They were easy to work on (I could sleep a family of five in the engine bay of my '78 truck) and roomy as [censored]. We won't talk about gas mileage tho. Now, sadly, those cars have been long-since lost to rust, or turned into "investment purchases".

Originally Posted By: JennyHemi
When "roll down the window" actually meant something.

Haha what's funny is that I still use that expression :p I always hated how the back windows would only roll halfway down. My first car was a '74 Cutlass Supreme with no power anything and only an AM radio. I remember back then (early 80s) Chief Auto Parts carried a line of replacement parts called "Help" and they made replacement window crank handles.

Originally Posted By: Turbo_Lemming
Any time I own a beater, I turn it in to a great car.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Turbo_Lemming
Define "beater."

Originally Posted By: Red91
A car that isn't all that nice, but is somewhat reliable and you drive it anyway.

Then my daily driver definitely qualifies.

Saab 900 turbo 16, bought in feb 2008 in a hurry - my trusty Merc 300d would be excluded from driving in Berlin or Munich due to totally [censored] up emissions regulation*. So I was in a hurry for a petrol engined car with catalytic converter. It had to be a classic (for style reasons), it had to be cheap, and it had to offer enough comfort for my long distance weekend commutes. I preferred Saab, Mercedes or BMW of the 80s or early 90s, because I had some experience with these and felt competent enough to judge them propperly befor I buy.

Found this offer, a white flatnose sedan with just 300.000km on the clock, just 200km away. Phoned the seller, and 3 hours later I had inspected and test driven and bought it. I knew it was screwed up mechanically: head gasked leaked (only externally, coolant looked and smelled ok, as did oil), the car accelerated sluggish and did not respond well to the throttle and the suspension was very mushy. The paint was shot, but the body was structurally very solid. And it was cheap - a tad over 1000 euros. I figured I might need another 2500€ to get her back into working order.
The car was then called Schneewittchen - "snow white", as she was pale, beautiful and nearly dead.
cool.gif

My estimate of initial repair bills was met nearly perfectly (and left room to improve the suspension a bit, including fitting of front and rear stabilizers), and since then the car has been my daily driver. Last week, the odometer crossed 580.000km.
Over the years, I spent a fortune at my mechanics - something around 27k€ (!) and the car still looks like [censored]. But I have driven 280.000km in the last 8 years, with total costs of just 25ct/km. That is significantly lower than what the tax autorities estimate (and which in turn is a lot lower than what most modern cars cost). So no complaints about that.

Significant repairs included nearly the entire chassis/suspension, some parts twice (bushings, shocks...), an engine rebuild at 410.000km (lost a piston ring due to a faulty Bosch LH-Jet controller which did not enrich enough under boost - rest of the engine looked like new...), new power steering and new alternator around 500.000, and a transmission rebuild at 534.000km. The trans repair is also the reason why the car has only run 580k - it sat still for eleven months until we sourced all parts. (Saab redesigned the gearbox several times, parts for earlier versions are getting very scarce.)
Oh, and the underside has been welded several times. Even though the car got rust-proofed with fluid film products repeatedly. The new salts they spray on the autobahn are absurdly aggressive, and the poor car does 30.000km every winter, immersed in this salt spray...

The left side is completely ugly. An Audi A6 took my right of way and crashed into the driver side, leaving the Audi with a ripped of front and the Saab with some impressions on both doors. Metal is bent sharply around the side impact protection structures, no point in repairing it, the doors are scrap and beyond repair. So I stopped bothering about corrosion protection/removal in them... Opponents insurance paid me quickly, but the problem ist to find rustfree doors. I have finally managed to source two; will have to drive to Austria to collect them, though.

The right side looks much better.
cool.gif

* Cities were given the power to ban cars with petrol engines without catalytic converters and diesel engines without particulate filters within their boundaries in a vain attempt to compl with EU regulations concerning particulates in the air. Problem is, the majority of particulate emissions is from industry and house heating. Only 1/3rd of total particulate emissions stem from traffic, of which 2/3rd came from commercial trucks/buses. The remaining 1/3rd of 1/3rd is from cars. 2/3rd of particulate emissions from cars is actually tyre and brake wear and does not get tracked by emissions regulations/test (and would still be there, regardless of wehether you ban some vehicles and repalce them with "cleaner" designs or not).So we have 1/3rd of 1/3rd of 1/3rd total particulate emission due to cars exhaust gases. Even if they banned ALL combustion engined cars particulate emissions would drop by a mere 1/27th. Oviously not all combustion engined cars were banned, only a very small minority of older ones, about 5% of total, if I recall correctly. So they reduced particulate emissions by 5% of 1/27th... which zero for all practical purposes. As expected, air quality measurably did not improve. Yeah, this regulation was for health and environmetal reasons, not to spur new car sales. Totally.

Last edited:
When the time comes and we upgrade from the TB I will get a beater for work purposes. I don't need a fancy ride or expensive insurance for a vehicle that drives me to work at the start of my shifts and home at the end of the block. I have been eyeing a number of rez rockets out in these parts and have found a few possibilities. One is a 98 Saturn 4dr, base model with a 5spd. 330,000km off a friend. Down right sexy it is.

Beater?

I think that our 2002 Honda Civic that we bought new back in late 2001 and that I affectionately refer to as the "battle civic" qualifies.

My wife drove it for the first five years and put 100k on it. Then it went through three teenagers who learned to drive a stick in it. Amazingly with 241k it still has the original clutch.

At this point I can't sell it because it starts every time, has cold air, gets 35mpg no matter how hard I thrash it and the radio still works.

The interior is still in pretty good shape but the exterior has lots of dings and dents. I don't need a third car but it does come in handy sometimes and it only costs me a few hundred bucks a year to keep it insured. I sometimes want to sell it but always come to the conclusion that it is worth more to me than the $600 that I could sell it for.

Here are a few pics from over the years...
Thanksgiving%202009%20014-XL.jpg

007-XL.jpg

013-XL.jpg

IMG_20140613_060513741-X2.jpg

I gave my beater away last month. Had a 96 Saturn SL2 5MT. Was a great little car but ate front wheel bearings at an alarming rate. It was reliable in a sense that it never left me stranded though. Had 307KM on it and running great when I gave it to the new owner. That car got fantastic gas mileage all throughout it's life too.

1994 Mercury Cougar, bought used in 1999 when it had 80,000 mi. The odometer gear broke at 125,825 mi. 15 years ago, estimate it has 300,000 plus, as it has been used by 3 college kids and thereafter in different parts of the country since then. When they were done with it, I started using it. The wife won't drive it to work, hee, hee.

Has had the springs replaced at various times, front suspension, fuel pump,etc. Trans rebuilt at 119k miles.

It's got the 4.6 sohc, used synthetic and now synthetic blend. Only smokes after idling hot for awhile, probably due to the notoriously bad valve seals on those early 4.6 motors. It runs good and actually sounds good after cutting the mufflers off. Had a couple of old Tbird turbocoupe tail pipes that matched up perfectly. A friend repainted some of the upper surfaces with acrylic enamel a year ago. Looks decent,everything works but the odometer but is showing a little rust on the rocker panel. It is the most comfortable car to drive that we have.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
- Steering wheel shakes on the highway between 65-70 MPH

My BMW the past year, except it shakes past 70 MPH as well.
mad.gif

At least I am running the best oil/filter combo for it though.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

My BMW the past year, except it shakes past 70 MPH as well. :mad

You probably already know it, but that's characteristic of worn thrust arm bushings.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

My BMW the past year, except it shakes past 70 MPH as well. :mad

You probably already know it, but that's characteristic of worn thrust arm bushings.

It might also be a characteristic of Meyle HD bushings. I will swap them out soon and see what happens.

On my old 530i, I put in Meyle HD thrust arms about three years ago due to the lower overall cost and the fact that I didn't have to press the bushings in myself. About a year or year and a half later I got a knocking or snapping noise from the suspension that I traced to the Meyle arm's ball joint. The bushing was fine but the ball joints were dry and creaking. So maybe they have the bushing part down but I didn't see it for the ball joints.

I ended up buying Lemforder arms and BMW bushings and putting those in. It's been about the same amount of time and so far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back