Who makes Craftsman riding mowers in 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AYP,American Yard Products used to make Craftsman tractors for decades.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
AYP,American Yard Products used to make Craftsman tractors for decades.

Acquisition of gardening operations in Roper Corp in the US, one of the largest producers of lawn mowers, garden tractors and rotary tillers in the American market, with annual sales of about SEK 2,500m. The company's name is changed to American Yard Products. The US becomes the Husqvarna Group's largest market for garden equipment .

Ok, the other BITOG members have made their guesses. Since I work at Sears in Lawn & Garden I will tell you the facts.

If its a 917.xxxxx then Husqvarna. If 247.xxxxx then MTD. This is for riding and push/self propelled mowers.

I was looking at a few at a Sears Outlet. They had several Craftsman tractors and a McCulloch branded one, which looked identical except for the name. They all said Husqvarna on the plate under the seat.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Ok, the other BITOG members have made their guesses. Since I work at Sears in Lawn & Garden I will tell you the facts.

If its a 917.xxxxx then Husqvarna. If 247.xxxxx then MTD. This is for riding and push/self propelled mowers.

An internal source told this to me as well.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I was looking at a few at a Sears Outlet. They had several Craftsman tractors and a McCulloch branded one, which looked identical except for the name. They all said Husqvarna on the plate under the seat.

Yes, like said, the Husqvarna Group makes a bunch of "brands", just like MTD does.

Murray, Dynamark, etc. used to be a name in itself, now it's another MTD product. Same with the low end Toro mowers. They're MTD.

I got slopes. On two out of the three slopes, there is my half of a 100x68' pond at the bottom. Of those two areas one is a strip of steeply sloped grass along the street side of the pond. No likey idea of Scuba-tractor, best stick with my old 22" push mower for that portion.

I looked at that tractor, and ended up with a John Deere D105 for the same money. Doing routine maintenance on the Deere looked to be, and has proven so far, to be easy. I wasn't a fan of the plastic shrouds on the Craftsman that needed to come off to change the oil, and didn't like how the gas tank was under the hood instead of under the seat. The Deere seemed to be better laid out for easy troubleshooting down the road, at the expense of horsepower and features.

Nice thing about a fuel tank under the hood is, they're almost all gravity feed to the carb. No fuel pump needed.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Yes, like said, the Husqvarna Group makes a bunch of "brands", just like MTD does.

Murray, Dynamark, etc. used to be a name in itself, now it's another MTD product. Same with the low end Toro mowers. They're MTD.

Hi, Murray designs and manufacturers their own equipment. They are not affiliated with MTD in any way, they are the parent company. Please check for yourself before posting if you disagree. Sears products manufactured by Murray begin with 502.xxx I believe. Not sure about the past few years but prior Craftsman rear engine riders are mostly Murray products.

Kevin,
Kevin's Small Engine and Tractor Service
South Berwick ME. 03908
www.tinyurl.com/kevinssmallengine.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Nice thing about a fuel tank under the hood is, they're almost all gravity feed to the carb. No fuel pump needed.

Except for the 06 cheapo Troy Bilt we bought used to mow at my wife's old house. Tank is under hood and fuel is fed to the B&S engine with a fuel pump.

My 04 Craftsman DL 3000 has the tank under the seat.

Originally Posted By: kbowley

Hi, Murray designs and manufacturers their own equipment. They are not affiliated with MTD in any way, they are the parent company. Please check for yourself before posting if you disagree. Sears products manufactured by Murray begin with 502.xxx I believe. Not sure about the past few years but prior Craftsman rear engine riders are mostly Murray products.

Kevin,
Kevin's Small Engine and Tractor Service
South Berwick ME. 03908
www.tinyurl.com/kevinssmallengine.

Pretty sure you want to check your "facts" as well my friend. My bad, my apologies on the MTD comment. Briggs and Stratton Power Products owns today's Murray. I had read that some time ago, but totally forgot. Look at the bottom of the screen here: http://www.murray.com/us/en/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back