Which Syn GL-5 for MT Where Front Diff Shares Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
The Redline 75-090 NS is unusual in that it is one of the best hypoid gear lubes that is reasonable for shifting.
That is it's claim to fame.

Agreed, on paper it appears to be the perfect lube for Subaru 5mt's. However, in practice is seems to disappoint. I haven't tried it so I'm only speaking on behalf if what I've read on the subaruforester.org forums from other forester owners who have tried it.

Has anyone here tried it in a subie 5mt?

A quick scan of the Subaru owner sites and you relize how picky these manual transmissions can be. Many guys who try expensive synthetics report grinding, first gear lock out and poor shifting. After spending alot of money most of these guys go back to the stock fluid which is Valvoline 75w-90. Now that my transmission is broken in and shifts fine I will most likely stick to Valvoline dino changed at sane intervals.

Originally Posted By: Steelers
A quick scan of the Subaru owner sites and you relize how picky these manual transmissions can be. Many guys who try expensive synthetics report grinding, first gear lock out and poor shifting. After spending alot of money most of these guys go back to the stock fluid which is Valvoline 75w-90. Now that my transmission is broken in and shifts fine I will most likely stick to Valvoline dino changed at sane intervals.

Some work, some don't, hence why there is such a controversy about the subaru 5mt. I'm using Motul Gear 300 with 1 quart of RL Shockproof Light and it shifts great even after 25k miles. The FF fluid was terrible in the winter for the first 20 minutes of driving.

As far as Valvoline being the FF (or OEM fluid), I'm not sure that's true. Fuji Heavy Industries produces Extra-S 75w90 which is the official 'stock' fluid. Please provide the links if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: webfors
For the record, Valvoline 75w90 is synthetic. The dino based lube is 80w90:

http://valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/grease-gear-oil/gear-oil/61

I would still love to hear reports/links from people who have used this gear oil!?

Who Valvoline gear oil its good stuff I use it in my truck no problems. My truck is old she don't need all that fancy stuff just some good old Valvoline.

I heard Valvoline come up as being the OE gear oil on some subie forum I was looking at, when researching trying to educate myself on what gear oil to use. I think it was a Legacy site. Never was confirmed though.

On Valvoline's website it says the Valvoline High Performance Gear Oil for conventional and limited slip diff's, so would this mean it contains the LS friction modifiers that we don't want in the subie gearbox?

Autozone sells it:

Valvoline 75W90 @ Autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back