Which state is the worst state to run a business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
City and state regulators see a business that is profitable and they tax and regulate them to death. Almost like a pack of lions jumping on a deer that is sick.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I owned a Bar for ten years here in California. Everyone has their hand out wanting money from you. I spent thousands in permits and license fees every year. Had to pay the music fees to ASCAP. Can't have bands or a juke box without paying them off. Sales tax alone ran almost $100k a year. I sold it in 2008. I lost interest in owning a business in this state.

How much was your take home pay after all your liabilities ?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: KingCake
I watch a mechanic on youtube based in NY state and the stuff he has to go through is insane.

Is it south main auto? I watch that guy all the time.

Yeah Eric O. is my favorite YT mechanic! NY won't even let him use aftermarket CATs from Rockauto.

I watch a mechanic on youtube based in NY state and the stuff he has to go through is insane.

Yeah Eric O. is my favorite YT mechanic! NY won't even let him use aftermarket CATs from Rockauto.

Not exactly 100% true http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/87411.html

It doesn't matter what state you're in, they get their money one way or another. It's a fee, a tax or some license.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
City and state regulators see a business that is profitable and they tax and regulate them to death. Almost like a pack of lions jumping on a deer that is sick.

I owned a Bar for ten years here in California. Everyone has their hand out wanting money from you. I spent thousands in permits and license fees every year. Had to pay the music fees to ASCAP. Can't have bands or a juke box without paying them off. Sales tax alone ran almost $100k a year. I sold it in 2008. I lost interest in owning a business in this state.

I was doing around $100k take home. Some years less some more. I was also working a full time job at the time. My Wife was doing the books. We would both work long hours. Just not worth it in the end. Between state audits and being sued by the slip and fall experts. Even when You win a lawsuit you lose your discounted insurance rate. The money just isn't worth the head aches.

California is only a problem if you spend the night, spend money, have a bank account, own a residence of some kind, use electricity, flush the toilet or otherwise use water, have a job, own a business, hire people or participate in any of these or any other such undesirable activities.

I was doing around $100k take home. Some years less some more. I was also working a full time job at the time. My Wife was doing the books. We would both work long hours. Just not worth it in the end. Between state audits and being sued by the slip and fall experts. Even when You win a lawsuit you lose your discounted insurance rate. The money just isn't worth the head aches.

ASCAP has nothing to do with the state. It's not legal to steal music for profit in any state.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
California is only a problem if you spend the night, spend money, have a bank account, own a residence of some kind, use electricity, flush the toilet or otherwise use water, have a job, own a business, hire people or participate in any of these or any other such undesirable activities.
I gotta laugh or I will cry. So much truth right here it hurts. Lived here my whole life, fighting the fight. Now if you were a welfare sucking mooch you would do just fine.
frown.gif

ASCAP has nothing to do with the state. It's not legal to steal music for profit in any state.
Right on both counts, But whats their cut? I had others come in and try to fleece me for music genres I didn't even play.

California is the worst, NY is #2, Taxachussets is #3

but in Vermont it's against the law

Basically anywhere you have lots of Democrats

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rsylvstr

Not exactly 100% true http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/87411.html

Indoctrinate someone else I don't have the time.

Originally Posted By: Doog
California is the worst, NY is #2, Taxachussets is #3

but in Vermont it's against the law

Basically anywhere you have lots of Democrats

So what's the excuse in AZ?

income tax - high
sales tax - high
vehicle property tax - high
home property tax - moderately high

They decided to send all the school money down to the border. There's already a fence, border patrol, checkpoints within 85 miles of the border, drones, helicopters. So to make up for the loss in school money, the voters passed a referendum hiking property taxes.

Originally Posted By: horse123
California. California is basically the worst state to anything in.

Agree. CA is the worst state to run any business, big or small.

Small business survey

Connecticut ranked just behind California as worst in the nation for small businesses, at least in this survey. The bottom dozen are probably pretty fluid. Connecticut just ran General Electric corporate headquarters out of town and up to Boston. Connecticut has been losing business and population for many years. If the defense, insurance, and pharmaceutical industries continue get better offers elsewhere, CT will become a ghost town of aging baby boomers. New England and the Northeast in general has a lot of challenges.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
[New England and the Northeast in general has a lot of challenges.

The biggest challenge - weather! Everyone is moving to warmer and sunnier climates without having to deal with snow and ice in the winter.

NY or CA. New York raised some taxes a few years ago and it spurred so many companies to leave that they had a total net loss in annual revenue after the hike. Texas took advantage and advertised in the state for businesses to come. Of course, this draws democrats and ruins their state slowly. Texas can be the next Colorado I guess.

This reminds me of a hilarious advertisement I saw driving across the country. Indiana paid to run a highway billboard ad that said "Illinoid with Taxes, move to Indiana" something like that.

I'm not going to defend high tax states but you do have to look at both sides of the equation. The low tax states such as Mississippi might have low taxes but if your customers have no cash...what's the point. California has high taxes but also rich customers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back