Which oil, when you look at the specs ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for a V-twin 27 HP Briggs, I was looking for some ideas, so I come here, and of the most recommended, here's some contenders
Rotella 15w40
Rotella T6 0w40
Whatever 15w40
Mobil 1 High Mileage
Rotella T1 30HD

Unless my uneducated mind has missed something, the specs for these oils show that Mobil 1 HM 5w30 has some pretty darn good specs. Best VI of the bunch, best flash point, and similar kinematics. Add to that, that is has a decent dose of ZDDP and Phos, and it's a winner for air cooled V-twin engines.

Am I missing something? Interpreting the results wrong? This oil should be just as the Briggs manual states, good for the entire temp range, even in the hottest of hot.

From those contenders I like the first two options with option two as my first choice. I think the second is actually 5w-40 not 0w-40 though.

I currently run Amsoil Formula Four Stroke 10w-30/30 Small Engine Oil in a 19.5 HP Briggs single and a 24 HP Briggs twin.

Along the lines of your list I would consider Rotella T5 10w-30.

My tractor/mower engines thrive on Rotella 15W40, remaining clean and bright internally and running for years without any service issues. I favor the 15W40 grades due to a moderate climate on the low end (no worries about <50 F starting temps) but a higher grade to address the varying high temp stresses on air cooled engines.

I'm just saying that other than the increased viscosity at 100C, there's not much difference in the list, and that the Mobil 1 HM beats them all in the other categories. Add to that the trend to use the thinest oil that will handle the temp, and you've got a good argument for 5W30. Just looking at the specs and wondering why all the hype over Diesel oil? I'm no expert, just wondering.

bchannell, congratulations, you are the second smartest man in the universe.

Mobile 1 HM is the best choice for all the reasons you stated. That's why i use it in my van. The reason it has so much ZDDP is because it is dual rated for diesel and gas engines. The only debate here is should you use 5W-30 or 10W-30 for a lawn mower. In my opinion 10W is as thin as you want to go. I even use 10W-30 in Wi for my 10HP snow blower. In the winter pulling the rope on that 10HP engine feels like i am pulling air.

I went with 5w30 got the simple reason that it just happened to coincide with B&S's own recommendation of visc. Having said that, I doubt it matters much, it's a bit of overkill, but the extra protection can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back