which oil for my 500hp+ gt3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
on my gt3000 iam going to td05 evo3 turbos which should get me 500+ hp at rear wheels and cant deceide between amsoil or red line. iam currently using red line 5w-30 with phantom turbos but will have a lot more hp ??

Ya know, thin oils might have a bit of a problem protecting the bearings if you end up with detonation or shock loading from something like improper timing.

Having dealt with plenty of turbo road race cars, the only thing that protected the bearings under unfortunate situations was thicker oils.

In this case, the 10-40, and in particuar the Redline oil has a bit more viscosity.

I use M1 15-50 silver cap, or (I think it's better) M1 v-twin 20-50.

Plenty of 400HP Mazda Miatas can't be wrong. By the way a high boost turbo Miata will eat rod bearings using 10-30 syn.

Chris

Dureing the winter I would run Redline 5W40 and if consumption is not an issue stick with that! If you find consumption is an issue go to Redline 10W40 for the warm months!

Is this a 3000GT VR4?

This will go against everyone on here but it's my own experience... With the GN, I've had best luck with dino 20-50 with bearing and ring wear. This is with multiple tear downs that I personally did all the measurements before and after, and 1,000 mile or sooner changes.

Take it for what it's worth. Not sure about your motor, mine is a high torque, high boost, relatively low rpm motor. I think the thicker oil could possibley help if you get a little greedy from time to time with the tuning like I tend to do.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Is this a 3000GT VR4?
The part that throws me off is, that he says hp at the rear wheels, which means for sure not one of the lower two models and I have never heard of someone disabling the AWD for just RWD on a VR4.

M1 v-twin 20-50

I saw this oil at Walmart the other day. I`ve often wondered about it,not to run it,but just curiosity. Bottle looked cool though! Black bottle with "racing" written on the label. But it made me wonder if motorcycle oil was any different than car oil. Me,I don`t intend to run a 20W50,but it just looked interesting.

On your GT,I too was wondering about the "rear wheels". Do those cars (VR4`s) put more usable power to the rear wheels or does it evenly distribute to all 4 wheels wherever it`s needed?

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Plenty of 400HP Mazda Miatas can't be wrong. By the way a high boost turbo Miata will eat rod bearings using 10-30 syn.

Chris
It's because most 30wts shear down quickly in a turbo engine. But it makes for a great qualifying/dragrace oil
whistle.gif

A 40wt would keep the bearings, turbo, and (hla or solid) lifters happier.

I'd use 5W40 HDEO at a minimum, ACEA A3/B3/B4 stuff. Shell Rotella has been showing good wear numbers. RLI 5W40 (Audi RS4 veggie oil) has been even better. Amsoil or Redline 40wt? Joe Gibbs?
I think a 50wt would be too thick unless it was summer or you had large bearing clearances.
A UOA would be a good idea too http://www.dysonanalysis.com

Originally Posted By: mcshooter
on my gt3000 iam going to td05 evo3 turbos which should get me 500+ hp at rear wheels and cant deceide between amsoil or red line. iam currently using red line 5w-30 with phantom turbos but will have a lot more hp ??

While 500 sounds like a lot HP (it is!), there are enough good old USA NA engines with huge displacement pushing well over 500 hp. I think what pushes the oil here are the turbos and the tightness of lubricated clearances. (which I assume you aren't changing). What are others using with success?

That said - the only oils I would consider in the SAE 30 cSt @ 100°C range are straight SAE 30's or more specifically only an oil with no VII. If you want to step up in viscosity then some oils with small amounts of VII's may be acceptable. I also assume you won't be starting this engine in the dead of winter?

Amsoil ACD SAE 30

Amsoil AME 15W-40

Amsoil TRO 20W-50 Racing oil

I would use Redline. Redline uses no VII's and is excellent for turbo use. Mobil 1 V-TWIN 20w-50 is also excellent.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: mcshooter

While 500 sounds like a lot HP (it is!), there are enough good old USA NA engines with huge displacement pushing well over 500 hp. I think what pushes the oil here are the turbos and the tightness of lubricated clearances. (which I assume you aren't changing). What are others using with success?

The main difference is the 500hp is spread out over only 6 cylinders so there's a little more load on each cylinder. Still, I see your point, there are plenty of 700+hp V8s that live a normal healthy life.

Originally Posted By: e36'n
You're in Ohio, I'd say it's a no brainer to get a RLI Biosyn oil, possibly the 5w40.

I'd agree. Give Bill Garmier over at Renewable Lubricants a call.

to answer some comments, yes it is a gt3000 vr4 twin turbo and hp is 500 on all wheel drive and i also replaced the squitters during rebuild. i never thought about a higher viscosity oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back