Which filter oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who use foam filters, what kind of oil do you use?
confused.gif

I'm sure most high-performance foam air filters come with their own "special" oil, but what about those which don't? What happens if you run out of that oil?

For my K&N gauze filter, I use their red spray oil. I have plenty of it and won't be using anything else ... ever.

But, for all the foam filters I have (mostly for lawn & garden equipment) I wondered what the best stuff to use would be. The manuals I have usually say to use 30 weight motor oil. This is probably fine but I decided instead to use Poulan chain & bar lube (for chainsaws). I figured the great deal of tack additive in this stuff would trap dirt even better. When I service these filters, there is a GREAT DEAL of fine dirt and dust in them. I hose them down with Simple Green and rinse generously with water. Dry, and then re-oil.

--- Bror Jace

I don't use a foam filter on my car, but I just wanted to say that I came across an article about an analysis of these "special" oils and they were found to be basically ordinary oil.

I don't know how well foams would stand up to ordinary motor oil (maybe they fall apart after a while?) but the oiled filter ads almost always caution against using motor oil. It may just be that they want you to buy their special oil to make more money.

However, it occurred to me that using a synthetic motor oil would have advantages in that it wouldn't get so thick in cold weather that it wouldn't be "sticky" anymore, nor would it evaporate easily in hot weather and contaminate MAF or other sensors (one of the reasons given for using the special oils.)

Anyone know more about this?

Bror Jace: AMSOIL MAKES A FOAM FILTER OIL AND IT IS KINDA TACKY. ALSO IF YOU GO TO ANY MOTORCYCLE DIRT BIKE SHOP MANY MANUFACTURES OF THE MOTORCYCLE LUBE MARKETS MAKE FOAM FILTER OILS TO. ONE SHOP NEAR ME HAD 6 DIFFERENT MANUFACTURES OF FOAM FILTER OILS. MIKEYOINUTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back