Which filter for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 Purolator 14610s in my collection (1 Classic & 1 Pureone)for my Civic. Since the classic has a nitrile anti drainback would it be better to wait until warmer weather to use it? I'm probably going with M1, Castrol Edge, or a similar synthetic for around a 5-6k oci. I've read that some nitrile adbv's are not as good in colder weather.

The classic has less efficiency, so it should have better flow. Oil being thicker in cold weather, I would use the classic.

The difference in flow would be negligible between the two Puros. Only a full synthetic filter might flow a noticeably better. The thought about the two ADBVs would be valid in an extremely cold environment. In the great state of Tennessee, if that's where you are, I don't see much difference because it doesn't get cold enough to matter much. But... the silicon valve still gets the nod.

The more important choice from the cold standpoint the is viscosity of the oil. The right choice there ensures good flow regardless of the filter used.

Not much difference, but theoretically the silicone adbv is better in cold weather so I would use the P1 for the winter. Though I have not noticed any problems with Motorcrafts (similar to the Classic) I have used with nitrile valves over the winter.

Thanks everyone. I think it really doesn't matter either, just wanted some extra opinions. It usually only gets into the the teens during winter here in upper east TN. & I forgot to add I like to run 5w-20 year round.

Might as well use the PureOne for winter, no reason not to take advantage of the silicone valve during the cold months.

Yep ... go with PureOne for the colder weather because of the silicone ADBV. As others have said, the difference in flow between the two is hair splitting. Oil weight in winger is much more important. No use using the Classic in winter and PureOne in summer if you have the choice.

KevGuy??
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
The difference in flow would be negligible between the two Puros. Only a full synthetic filter might flow a noticeably better. The thought about the two ADBVs would be valid in an extremely cold environment. In the great state of Tennessee, if that's where you are, I don't see much difference because it doesn't get cold enough to matter much. But... the silicon valve still gets the nod.

The more important choice from the cold standpoint the is viscosity of the oil. The right choice there ensures good flow regardless of the filter used.

+1.....I didn't know there were 'winter and summer' oil filters. I guess I must have missed something. Duh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back