Which filter for my Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 2012 4 cyl auto trans Camry...I'll be changing the oil this weekend for the first time (5K miles) and putting Toyota's 0w20 back in. Is there a "best" oil filter I should use? The other question: Is there that much of a difference between filters that you want to avoid one over the other?

Thanks I appreciate the feedback.
Lloyd Hanning

dont use the Fram Orange can....I would say stick with either the OEM Toyota filter or Purolator/WIX/Napa are always good for a 5k change....you could step up to Bosch D+ or Mobil one but at 5k those would be a waste of money

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
A Purolator Pure One is a good choice to start out with.

Sure can't go wrong with one of these! Mine is much older (1995 4 banger). I'm doing 4k OCI and using the Pure Classic with no issues.

Originally Posted By: Lloyd_Hanning
Got a 2012 4 cyl auto trans Camry.

How do you like it so far? The new Camry, particularly with the 4 cylinder, is on my list of possibilities.

Really like it...My '04 4 cyl was totaled by a loser texting, so I got another Camry...Engine is VERY smooth...no vibration what so ever! Lots of pep, and went to FL, which is a two day drive for us and got 34+ MPG. Yep, overall, it's a big change fromt the '04. Interestingly, there's NO trans dipstick. I was on the Toyotanation forum and some others said you check the trans the same way as a standard.....take out the fill plug.
I don't think you can go wrong!....This is our third Camry, they just keep getting better.

Is there a "best" oil filter I should use? ...
Lloyd Hanning

The only way for one to determine what is "best" is to first do a really good job of defining all the criteria of which to measure by.

Size, cost, efficiency, OCI duration, environmental concerns, availability, etc all play into the issue of which is "best".

And frankly, I often don't believe there is a "best", but there are many "better" choices, depending upon the above criteria.

Does a M1 or PureOne filter with greater efficiency that does the OCOD? Sure they will. Does that matter in short OCIs for a vehicle that you may only own for a year or two more? Nope.

"Best" is only applicable to one specific situation as defined by the individual.

And you've not done a good job, so far, of telling the whole story.

As a massive generalization, there are plenty of decent filters that would suffice for "normal" use, at a good price, with good availability. You could spend a lot more money for premium filters, but you'll never find a UOA that will confirm the money was well spent.

If you're going to go 10K on the oci, I'd favor a Bosch Distance plus. If it's the same part number as the 07-11 series, good luck finding one except on Amazon (which is where I buy mine).

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
It's a cartridge. The OEM filter can be had pretty cheap so no reason to look elsewhere.

here's a pic:
2012-06%2F16%2F093802113554.gif

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
dont use the Fram Orange can

Fram is just fine. Educate yourself.

Fram Ultra (if it's available for you app). Best filter on the market today in terms of efficiency and longevity, with the possible exception of the Amsoil, but sold at a price that's just fantastic. It's at least equal to the Bosch D+ and Royal Purple, yet 30-40 percent less money. I'm stocking up and purging my filter stash of anything inferior.

And I almost can't believe I'm saying it, but I no longer fear the orange can. Been studying up for a project and had a little excursion to a test lab yesterday. I wouldn't buy the orange can because it doesn't have the efficiency (though it's best in it's class) or designed longevity I want, but if I was looking for a cheap filter, I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Is there a "best" oil filter I should use? ...
Lloyd Hanning

The only way for one to determine what is "best" is to first do a really good job of defining all the criteria of which to measure by.

Size, cost, efficiency, OCI duration, environmental concerns, availability, etc all play into the issue of which is "best".

And frankly, I often don't believe there is a "best", but there are many "better" choices, depending upon the above criteria.

Does a M1 or PureOne filter with greater efficiency that does the OCOD? Sure they will. Does that matter in short OCIs for a vehicle that you may only own for a year or two more? Nope.

"Best" is only applicable to one specific situation as defined by the individual.

And you've not done a good job, so far, of telling the whole story.

As a massive generalization, there are plenty of decent filters that would suffice for "normal" use, at a good price, with good availability. You could spend a lot more money for premium filters, but you'll never find a UOA that will confirm the money was well spent.

Thanks!...Yes, I probably didn't give enough facts to support what I consider as "best"...I'm doing an initial oil change at 5k, based on what the treads on a Toyota forum had recommended. Then, do 10k changes?...I question that because I'll probably max out at 7k/year...So would that fall under "severe service" and change the oil and filter more often? And, by best, I would want a filter and oil that would help/ensure the engine would last 20(?) years....I'm 66 and not looking to buy another car. So my intent is to "pay a little now (for a "better" filter) and have a long lasting Camry."....Of course there's the diminishing return, where you pay a lot more but only get a marginal increase in filter quality. So, all that being said, I'm looking for a good filter (I've read several places where Toyota 0W20 oil has superior viscosity improvers and stuff in it that make it the better to use than Mobi1e 1) that won't break the bank but keep the car running until my kids dump me in a "home."
Of course the transmission fluid is another subject, but that's in a different forum.

Thanks, I REALLY appreciate the feedback and comments...There's so much good information.

Lloyd Hanning

Loyd:
I'm a year older than you. We have 2 Camrys; '96 & 2010. Both are V-6's. Here's my advice: Change your oil & filter according to the maximum time-line on your maintenance guide, if you only drive 7,000 annual miles (Toyota 0W-20 & Toyota filter), keeping excellent records, until the powertrain warranty expires. Then use whichever filter & oil you think is best...Toyota-Baldwin-Wix-top-line Purolator (all are excellent) Mobil-1 or Toyota oils or Purolator synthetic---doesn't matter.
Now, if you'd gotten a V-6 Camry, in 15 or 20 years when the kids come to cart you off to the old folks home, you could get in it & out-run them...the 4's ain't exactly slow, but the V-6's are little ol' 'pocket-rockets!'

I just bought a 2010 Camry 4-cyl automatic, which uses the same filter (2.5L engine).

I have been using the Mobil 1 cartridge filter on my 2011 Tundra, and also, Mobil 1 can-filter M1-209 on my other vehicles, and have been impressed. So I figured I would try the appropriate Mobil 1 size for the Camry.

I was NOT impressed with this one. It cost $19.99, as do all Mobil 1 cartridge filters, but this one was made in China, and seemed to be not of the same quality as the other Mobil 1 filters. It was stamped with the Mobil 1 logo on it, so I know it was the proper filter, not one that was switched into the Mobil 1 box.

I intend to try the appropriately-sized Amsoil filter for the next change interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back