Which 2014 cars are without VVT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: meep

I never knew that. In fact, I thought they were all the same since the designs were so similar..

They're only similar in displacement. I think we totalled up the actual parts that interchanged between a Chevy 350, Olds 350, and Buick 350 one time. HEI module and distributor rotor were about it. Heck the Buick even has the distributor in front and tilted like a Mopar does (other side, though if I recall). And the Olds 350 isn't even really a smallblock, its a low-deck version of the block that the 403 and 455 were built in.

GM never really let go of divisional engines. in the 70s they had three (count 'em!) 455 cubic inch v8s that didn't swap parts (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) plus a 454 (Chevy) and a 472 (Cadillac). Same with 350s, and there were several completely different engines around 400 CID too (Pontiac 400, Olds 403, and TWO Chevies counting the 396/"400"/402 big block and 400 smallblock). Even in the 90s and early Y2Ks, different divisions just became responsible for different engine sizes types so the crazy overlap was gone. Buick made the big v6 (3800), Chevy made the smaller ones (3100, 3400), and the LT series v8s that Holden and Pontiac also used, Cadillac did its own thing (Northstar). The Ecotec and LS series are probably the closest to "corporate" engines.

That General. He do some strange things...

laugh.gif

4 350s: Chevrolet (L), Pontiac (P), Buick (X), and Olds (R)
all unique engines. Maybe worse than Ford having 3 351s and a 352. AMC and Chrysler? You get a 360 or a 360. (Also different engines)

I never really understood the 229 either. They were already using the Buick 231 in the Monte Carlo and continued to use the 231 in the Landau alongside the 229 in other models. The 231 was used in California model Camaros. The only reason I can think of is that the 229 was less expensive to produce.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
So you want unnecessary complexity, yet you are interested in luxury brands? I'm having a hard time believing you're serious.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You've got to be kidding. VVT would be the least of my worries when it comes to the cars you listed above.

Luxury cars are more problematic than regular cars? I had no idea. That's why I like starting these threads, there's no telling what I might dig up. What did Forest Gump say about the box of chocolates?
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
So you want unnecessary complexity, yet you are interested in luxury brands? I'm having a hard time believing you're serious.

You've got to be kidding. VVT would be the least of my worries when it comes to the cars you listed above.

Luxury cars are more problematic than regular cars? I had no idea. That's why I like starting these threads, there's no telling what I might dig up. What did Forest Gump say about the box of chocolates?
56.gif

+1 on the FG reference. You take a chance on every car. I have learned that if you get a trouble free one...and it has no leaks...drive it to at least 200k. Several times I have traded a reliable car or truck on a new one that turned out to be a lemon. Wow...talk about kicking yourself in the a$$.
33.gif

Luxury cars are more problematic than regular cars? I had no idea.

Luxury cars come with more features, bells and whistles, electronic gizmos, etc. The more parts you have, and the more complex the design, the higher the chance that something will break.

Although statistically, I think Lexus is a lot less problematic than a BMW.

I have had 2 that both went over 150k and no issues.

Originally Posted By: Doog

I have had 2 that both went over 150k and no issues.

2 what? Lexus or BMW?
smile.gif
Or one of each?

Luxury cars are more problematic than regular cars? I had no idea.

Luxury cars come with more features, bells and whistles, electronic gizmos, etc. The more parts you have, and the more complex the design, the higher the chance that something will break.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Isn't Lexus a Toyota product or is it Nissan?
Either way even if Lexus was less problems I'd still buy the bimmer. It's called the ultimate driving machine

Originally Posted By: Clevy
It's called the ultimate driving machine

Yeah, don't let their marketing cloud your vision. Some M cars could be called that. Most regular new BMWs on the other hand - not really. BMW has been softening the rides lately, making the ride less engaging. At least that's what I've been hearing. I haven't driven anything current to verify. As is always the case - best is to drive all the contenders yourself to determine which one brings the biggest smile to your face.

One thing the 283 experienced was that it was never tested or prototyped. It went straight from paper to tooling in efforts to compete with Ford. Ford had a "Chevy killer" coming to market and the execs at chevy knew it. they knew they had to build it and chance it. if they didn't, they feared they were done. if the engine failed, well they tried. So that little 8 came right off the engineer's sketch pad and went to tooling. and it did really well. Pretty impressive, so much of what the engineers got right.

283 or 265? 265 came out first, in '55; it was punched out to 283 in '57. The earliest 265's had some ring sealing problems that I recall reading about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_small-block_engine

Quote:
The 265 cu in (4.3 L) V8 was the first Chevrolet small block. Designed by Ed Cole's group at Chevrolet to provide a more powerful engine for the 1955 Corvette than the model's original "stove bolt" in-line six, the 165 hp (123 kW)[2] 2-barrel debut version went from drawings to production in just 15 weeks.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Yeah the Germans can't figure out how to build a window regulator or a reliable AC system.

Would you believe that in 10 year's time I've had one window come off its track and zero a/c issues? The window cost nothing to fix too (remove door skin, put back into track, tighten bolt).

I have had the blower resistor pop the thermal fuse (replaced fuse) and the blower motor needs periodic oiling. This past summer the lever on the mixer flap broke. I leave the console off now so I can pop it back into place when it falls down; to do a proper repair would probably be 10+ hours to rip out the heater core. Not happening any time soon.

Now from day 1 the a/c has blown <40F air yet requires an hour to cool the interior. That's a different problem...

^^^good point^^^ yes I think it was the 265. good catch! the 283 was just an opened up version....

The whole Lexus/BMW thing cracks me up. Having owned both, and appreciated both for their own unique traits, I always preferred BMW for myself and Lexus for my wife. I want to drive and feel everything, the older Lexus' felt like driving a perfect, powerful, silent coffin.

Now Lexus is adding roadfeel, stiffening up the suspension and looking aggressive.

BMW is softening everything, isolating you from the road. Two totally different cars are becoming one.

I don't think there has ever been any question that the average Lexus (Toyota) is more reliable than the average BMW, but at least BMW's used to be much more fun to drive.

Infiniti is doing the same thing - they are making their cars more mercedes/lexus like which is really turning me off to their newer cars. They used to be an affordable and reasonably and reliable, if quirky alternative to a BMW, now they are expensive, heavier and not nearly so sporty.

I have had two G35's and an FX45 and I can't say that I desire any of the newer Vehicles. As someone mentioned earlier, the M6 Gran sport really appeals to me, but I could never spend that much money on a car, and wouldn't want people to think I spent that much on a car even if I could get my hands on one.

What was the topic again?

Right VVT - Other than a few MFG's with cam phaser issues, Variable valve timing and variable valve timing and lift have been pretty reliable. Some designs seem to be hard on oil when pushed hard (Infiniti!)

^^^good point^^^ yes I think it was the 265. good catch! the 283 was just an opened up version....

I used to be a Chevy nut. A lot of the info is slipping out of my mind, but I still remember a few things. Not that I'd ever double check using wikipedia though...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Yeah the Germans can't figure out how to build a window regulator or a reliable AC system.

Aside from my 1973 Bavaria, over 31 years of BMW ownership the only A/C issue I've had with my other eight A?C equipped Bimmers was an auxiliary fan that went south on my E28 535is. My BMWs from 1995 up have had no HVAC issues whatsoever.
And so far I've only replaced two window regulators- one on the Bavaria and one on my wife's E39 528i...

.... BMW has been softening the rides lately, making the ride less engaging. At least that's what I've been hearing. .....

Don't they use electronic suspension, so you get what you need, the instant you need it?

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Volkswagen Jetta S 2 point slow. SOHC 8 valve. No bells, no whistles, same 115 hp it's been for years.

That's all I got. Can't think of anything else

I looked through midsize cars on edmunds and almost clicked on the Jetta, just thinking they are normally pretty sparse of anything, but didn't. This must be the only midsize fairly basic engine available new... well it's not quite 3k lbs, but I still wouldn't call it a compact.

Looking at what others are paying for the base 5spd Jetta in my area, looks like it's running around 14.7k. Not too bad. I wonder how reliable it would be?

Now you have cars with variable valve lift and timing even the lowly (but really nice!) 2014 Corolla has it so that adds another pound of complication into the valvetrain.

I dunno if I'm missing out but all of my vehicles don't have VVT, VVL, DoD, etc.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
The whole Lexus/BMW thing cracks me up. Having owned both, and appreciated both for their own unique traits, I always preferred BMW for myself and Lexus for my wife. I want to drive and feel everything, the older Lexus' felt like driving a perfect, powerful, silent coffin.

Now Lexus is adding roadfeel, stiffening up the suspension and looking aggressive.

BMW is softening everything, isolating you from the road. Two totally different cars are becoming one.

I don't think there has ever been any question that the average Lexus (Toyota) is more reliable than the average BMW, but at least BMW's used to be much more fun to drive.

Infiniti is doing the same thing - they are making their cars more mercedes/lexus like which is really turning me off to their newer cars. They used to be an affordable and reasonably and reliable, if quirky alternative to a BMW, now they are expensive, heavier and not nearly so sporty.

I have had two G35's and an FX45 and I can't say that I desire any of the newer Vehicles. As someone mentioned earlier, the M6 Gran sport really appeals to me, but I could never spend that much money on a car, and wouldn't want people to think I spent that much on a car even if I could get my hands on one.

What was the topic again?

Right VVT - Other than a few MFG's with cam phaser issues, Variable valve timing and variable valve timing and lift have been pretty reliable. Some designs seem to be hard on oil when pushed hard (Infiniti!)

Believe it or not your post sounds like a Cadillac commercial! CTS Vsport FTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back