Where's the documented proof ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
ZeeOSix, you still gotta 1% chance of a 20 micron sized particle getting thru and destroying a bearing.
grin2.gif

The Fram Ultra is 99%+, so technically its LESS than 1%!

ZeeOSix, you still gotta 1% chance of a 20 micron sized particle getting thru and destroying a bearing.
grin2.gif

I'll take the 1% change over the 50% chance any day.
grin.gif

This thread is beyond comical.

Is it possible to create a media with a mesh size or pore volume of a fairly consistent (narrow distribution)? Yes.

Is it possible to narrow that distribution such that statistics will dictate that practically speaking, no particle above such a size will pass? Yes.

Can that be easily done with straightforward analytical tools in most any particle science lab? Yes.

Further, I've seen no practical evidence that air or oil filters build a cake and filter in the true sense of the term. In other words, mass loading is quite low.

Anyone who has ever done the slightest bit of fine particle processing knows that one can readily select the filtration media pore size and play the trades between first pass and subsequent fines retention (how dense the cake sets up) versus liquid flow rate/vertical head/back-pressure.

It's actually not rocket science at all...

Ill just add in some common sense.

The XP efficiency doesn't seem to be anything to brag about: If it was, they would have bragged about it already. Locally they seem to be very pricey for no more than you get, plus you have to hunt to find them.

In reference to my 3 examples, the Ultra is the obvious winner.

grin2.gif

And he also has a 99+% chance it will get trapped in the media during its next run around..

Documented proof?

OK here I go. I am going to buy 100 gm of 25 micron unicorn dust. I will pour in to my engine after installing the filter under the test. I will drive my vehicle for the OCI and when I remove the filter, I will open it up and measure the weight of all the captured unicorn dust. I will use high precision weighing machine and will publish the weight in grams up to two digits.

Would you consider that as a documented proof?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Documented proof?

OK here I go. I am going to buy 100 gm of 25 micron unicorn dust. I will pour in to my engine after installing the filter under the test. I will drive my vehicle for the OCI and when I remove the filter, I will open it up and measure the weight of all the captured unicorn dust. I will use high precision weighing machine and will publish the weight in grams up to two digits.

I believe the commonly accepted media is now Pixie dust, as the black-market unicorn dust trade is now frowned upon by the ASPCA and PETA ...
grin2.gif

Last edited:
But is my approach correct? Since the filter is supposed to capture 20 micron particles, the 25 micron pixie dust should all be captured by the filter, correct?

I just ran in to a snag here though. How would I be able to account for dry weight vs wet weight of the filter? I need to be able to compute the weight of the caught pixie dust.

Please provide solution to this problem.

Documented proof?

What dust doesn't get stuck in the pan and valve covers will get stuck in a filter that gets 99% @ >20 microns, like a Fram ToughGuard or Ultra for example. ... I'd love to know if great oil filtration could have saved this engine (compared to other Land Rovers on the expedition), one with the normal oil filter as shown in the picture at the bottom of the web page http://longitudediscovery.com/TheGreatMobilHoax/index.htm , one with a bypass setup, and one more with a high-efficiency Ultra or TG, maybe dual-parallel. Lots of dust getting in thru the air filter past the rings.

But is my approach correct? Since the filter is supposed to capture 20 micron particles, the 25 micron pixie dust should all be captured by the filter, correct?

I just ran in to a snag here though. How would I be able to account for dry weight vs wet weight of the filter? I need to be able to compute the weight of the caught pixie dust.

Buy all the lab equipment to test oil filters per ISO 4548-12, or pay some independent lab $5,000 per filter to have the ISO 4548-12 ran.

Where's the documented proof that the FRAM Ultra is 100% efficient at 20 microns ?

Where's the documented proof that the WIX XP is 50% efficient at 20 microns ?

Let's get down to the nitty-gritty !

I have both original reports that are proof. However, they are sealed in a mayonnaise jar and buried in my back yard. So, forget it.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Where's the documented proof that the FRAM Ultra is 100% efficient at 20 microns ?

Where's the documented proof that the WIX XP is 50% efficient at 20 microns ?

Let's get down to the nitty-gritty !

I have both original reports that are proof. However, they are sealed in a mayonnaise jar and buried in my back yard. So, forget it.

The original reports were once uncovered as an X-File back when Mulder & Scully were hittin' it.

Pre fill the filter and make sure it is full when you weigh it both before and after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back