When to put snows on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Does it need the sensors for anything? Or just piece of mind?

I definitely want the sensors to be working just for my own peace of mind, not sure if there would be a state inspection issue due to the light. Anybody ever had that keep them from getting a tag?
So many people say to put a piece of electrical tape over the light if it bothers you, but that's just not me. I remember the first time I had the TPMS light pop on, it drove me crazy until I figured out it was the full size spare in the ugly blister on the back of the RAV4...

In NH it should not cause a fail. However, you might have to argue with the inspection station about it. I had a dealership tell me that they would fail a vehicle with the TPMS light on; I decided it was not worth arguing about. Local garage said they could care less about the light.

Here in NY it doesn't matter. I use the little screw on valve stem things. It's nice to just take a quick walk around and look. Quick check for bead leaks.

they're not very accurate though. Might be worthwile if you're running runflats without proper TPMS so you can seethey're not flat

Last edited:
Snow tires? What are those?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
grin2.gif

Ha, you must see lots of canucks in winter down there though, rocking the steelies and snow tires. My CRV was down there for a month last winter when it was my parents.

You know, now that I think about it, I did have the diff rebuilt right after putting the LTX's on. I had the alignment checked just prior (fine), and the procedure for the diff doesn't seem to indicate any suspension is messed with (unless if I'm missing it). I would not expect it to be out so soon.

I also can feel the same shoulder wear on the inside of the tire.

I guess I'll have to look into an alignment. Maybe I can take a half-day off from work and get the inspection done at the same time, two birds with one stone. Hopefully they don't gripe about the front pads, those are getting thin, but I was going to wait on those.

Originally Posted By: cat843
On one vehicle I have M&S tires year round. A little noisy, but no keeping extra tires hanging around.

M&S rating is commonly seen on all seasons. That's not the same as actual snow tires.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Originally Posted By: cat843
On one vehicle I have M&S tires year round. A little noisy, but no keeping extra tires hanging around.

M&S rating is commonly seen on all seasons. That's not the same as actual snow tires.
Yes, true snowtires perform a lot better in snow and under cold conditions than do M+S tires. Real snowtires sport the mountain with a snowflake symbol.

Winter-Tire-Mountain-Snowflake-Symbol-140x160.jpg

Early to mid December here in Iowa. Rarely snows before then and need to make sure the temps are down. Hate to drive the wintr tires on a warm, sunny 60 degree day and imagine the soft rubber grinding away.

I think most winter tires caution against driving when the temp is over 50 or 60 (?). Just like high performance summer rubber shouldn't drive in the cold.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
grin2.gif

Exactly. But, you're in Arizona. I've been through Connecticut winters since 1980, have yet to own a snow tire. Some of those first winters were on bias ply AS tires. I did a 100 mile round trip commute for 17 years....never once missed a day or was more than 15 min late due to any type of snow storm. I'm sure I'd be more cautious if I lived in New Hampshire or North Dakota. Connecticut is good at keeping the major roads cleared.

When to put snows on?
For me that would have been yesterday. Not because I wanted to but a large piece of metal lodged in my side wall on my summer tires forced me into it.
I usually wait until snow is in the forecast, than go out in the cold and wet and change them just so I can feel like a man. LOL

Looks like we're in the 30s and 40s next week, so it's looking like Saturday
frown.gif
Sad to put the PSS up for the winter, but I was sliding around everywhere and traction was really really awful last Friday when it was 34 and we had some mild snow sprinkles.

--Matt

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
I wait until the last possible minute. Mine are mounted, so I Put them on myself.

Word. Dedicated wheel tire sets are the only way to do it for me. The wife's car has em too. It's so convenient to have them on hand as soon as they're needed, and to have a second set available when the road is unfriendly.

Originally Posted By: mkosem
Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
I wait until the last possible minute. Mine are mounted, so I Put them on myself.

Word. Dedicated wheel tire sets are the only way to do it for me. The wife's car has em too. It's so convenient to have them on hand as soon as they're needed, and to have a second set available when the road is unfriendly.

Same here. DT is late with my wheels, but luckily I already put on my wife's car winter set so we were mobile today, while apparently 99% of Colorado Springs stayed home.

Probably when it gets around to snowing. The Fit needs another set of snows. The old Blizzak LM-25's are hard as rock despite having enough tread to get through another season. So away they go, probably for XI3's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back