when there is no vw 508…

508 is a mid/low saps low HTHS lubricant other than its LL properties, possibly cleaning and stay in grade - close to an ILSAC R.C. Lube.

Are some VAG 508 00/509 00 choices a true iv/v synthetic ? Possibly, though I do not recall at this moment.
Probably Ravenol VSE. but it's something that you won't find when you're in a bind. You would have to order it from Blauparts or Amazon

To start with it may not have been 1/3 Qt low. Like I said above, The dipstick on my Tiguan is always in the middle of the safe zone. In fact, the owners manual says that is fine. Did VW make a mistake with the dipstick?
Was the six quarts supposed to be six liters? Whatever! The manual says six quarts. I keep it in the middle of the safe zone because, that’s where six quarts and a new filter takes it every time. To really know for sure, change the oil and filter yourself and make note of what the dipstick reads and keep it at that level.
My manual also states that any oil that may need to be added can be SAE 0W20 or 0W40 502.00/505.00.
By doing your own oil changes and following the manual, you get to know about the dipstick readings.

To start with it may not have been 1/3 Qt low. Like I said above, The dipstick on my Tiguan is always in the middle of the safe zone. In fact, the owners manual says that is fine. Did VW make a mistake with the dipstick?
Was the six quarts supposed to be six liters? Whatever! The manual says six quarts. I keep it in the middle of the safe zone because, that’s where six quarts and a new filter takes it every time. To really know for sure, change the oil and filter yourself and make note of what the dipstick reads and keep it at that level.
My manual also states that any oil that may need to be added can be SAE 0W20 or 0W40 502.00/505.00.
By doing your own oil changes and following the manual, you get to know about the dipstick readings.
Warm your engine oil to 194f after your next oil change, you will see the level move from half when cold to just about full at 194f.

508 is not reverse compatible with 502 504 etc specs. It is, roughly, a 0w20 ACEA C5.

If VW 508 00 isn't available, I'd pick in this order:

1. VW 504 00 (0/5W-30)
2. VW 511 00 (0/5W-40)
3. VW 502 00 (0W-30 - 5W-40; probably easiest to find in NA)
4. BMW LL-01, LL-04, MB 229.5, MB 229.51/52, Porsche A40, C40
5. anything else (everything's better than no oil)

Thicker oil is a non-issue. Thinner (lower HTHS) than what
is specced for this engine could more so a potential issue.

Btw, I use to take 1 l oil with me on any longer trip. Ask me why.

True, you shouldn't use 508 in 502/504 specced engines, HOWEVER, you CAN (and maybe seriously consider) using a 502/504 in ones calling for 508. Won't get started on the reasons 508 exists, we all know those :rolleyes:.
There is really bad advice and then there is this....:cautious:

What's wrong with it? In technical terms.

I mean you said it was not only bad advice but on the scale of bad advice it is notably bad. Why?
Of all the hype surrounding why 508.00 exists and it's reasons. I find nothing wrong with it surviving the OCI and don't see it detrimental to the health of the engine. What I find more detrimental is substandard fuel keeping the injectors clean, and certain driving styles(wife put put). I've come into circumstances where it was an immediate effect on drivability. The multiple UOA's from new don't really show a 508 oil as being a problem even when pushed slightly past the OCI limit. Granted I am one person and one vehicle so my sample size is tiny. 😀

Of all the hype surrounding why 508.00 exists and it's reasons. I find nothing wrong with it surviving the OCI and don't see it detrimental to the health of the engine. What I find more detrimental is substandard fuel keeping the injectors clean, and certain driving styles(wife put put). I've come into circumstances where it was an immediate effect on drivability. The multiple UOA's from new don't really show a 508 oil as being a problem even when pushed slightly past the OCI limit. Granted I am one person and one vehicle so my sample size is tiny. 😀
All right, but none of that makes shortyb's advice bad, nor notably bad as you stated. A bit of extra HT/HS is not detrimental and can be beneficial.

No doubt shortyB is fully correct.

1. My own GTI's as well as others manuals say both VW 508 00 and 504 00 as well as 502 00 are allowed. IF your manual actually calls for 'VW 508 00 only', there is one single reason for it: CAFE. Just to reduce CO2 by using a thinner oil. Thinner oil reduces drag, so resulting less consumption and CO2.

2. It's supported by both physics and common sense, a thicker oil doesn't harm (provided same quality such as using VW 504 00), while running thinner oil (VW 508 00 in cars requiring VW 504 00 or 502 00) could perhaps cause issues.

3. The forementioned is consensus on Bitog for several years.

All right, but none of that makes shortyb's advice bad, nor notably bad as you stated. A bit of extra HT/HS is not detrimental and can be beneficial.
Ya and it doesn't make using 508 wrong either especially in a 100% stock engine. Going against the required oil standard for a vehicle under warranty is always bad advice IMO.

No doubt shortyB is fully correct.

1. My own GTI's as well as others manuals say both VW 508 00 and 504 00 as well as 502 00 are allowed. IF your manual actually calls for 'VW 508 00 only', there is one single reason for it: CAFE. Just to reduce CO2 by using a thinner oil. Thinner oil reduces drag, so resulting less consumption and CO2.

2. It's supported by both physics and common sense, a thicker oil doesn't harm (provided same quality such as using VW 504 00), while running thinner oil (VW 508 00 in cars requiring VW 504 00 or 502 00) could perhaps cause issues.

3. The forementioned is consensus on Bitog for several years.
Ah CAFE...everyone loves to blame it. 0/5w20 will ruin your engine!

Thicker oil can and will harm a engine if it relies on it as a hydraulic fluid like in cam phasers. There is no benefit from running a thicker oil then necessary unless you are modifying the engine.

BITOG is all about opinions and feelings, facts just get in the way.

Last edited:

I did not tell that at all. Nobody told that. I'd suggest to stick with this particular topic.

Thicker oil can and will harm a engine if it relies on it as a hydraulic fluid like in cam phasers. There is no benefit from running a thicker oil then necessary unless you are modifying the engine.

Absurd. Cam phasers still run at -20°F when any oil is significantly is thicker compared to operating temperature, probably 500 or so times thicker!

BITOG is all about opinions which are always taken with a grain of salt.

I tried to be factual. Please don't try to muddy this discussion with opinions.

BITOG is all about opinions and feelings, facts just get in the way.
Nope, more nonsense from the Internet.

And from what I'm seeing only your posts here are about opinions and feelings. You're the one ignoring facts.

Back