When I get my timing belt changed (Hyundai)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct that the 4cyl is easy. The V-6 is what I am referring to. I know that on the 2.7 they are a difficult job and I believe the 3.5 is probably similar. All of the 4 cyl cars I have owned have been a piece of cake to change.

Originally Posted By: fisher83
You are correct that the 4cyl is easy. The V-6 is what I am referring to. I know that on the 2.7 they are a difficult job and I believe the 3.5 is probably similar. All of the 4 cyl cars I have owned have been a piece of cake to change.

Yes he said it would be a 7 hour job.

I had the timing belt replaced by my mechanic on my 2005 Kia Sedona V-6 van about 3 weeks ago. He did everything OP listed, including water pump and tensioners, for around $760. Didn't replace drive belt though because I already did that last summer. I was way over due getting this timing belt job done--I bought the Sedona new and it had about 145,000 miles on the original timing belt. I was very lucky the belt didn't go before the replacement because we all know what 'wonderful' things can happen with that in an interference engine...the timing belt is supposed to be replaced at 60,000 miles.

Last edited:
Never skimp on the components of a timing belt job on an interference style engine.

Broken belt = scrapped engine. Ask me how I know...

Same Sigma V6 in my inherited XG300.

It only has about 44,000 miles on it, but it is a 12 year old belt.

Looks too much like doing my Mitsubishi 6G73 2.5 I'm not doing it.

The repair tech next door quoted me $400 labor. I think I'm going to go with the DNJ kit. Belt, tensioner, idlers, seals...

I don't know who the heck DNJ is, but it can't be that much worse than what Hyundai put on it 12 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

The repair tech next door quoted me $400 labor. I think I'm going to go with the DNJ kit. Belt, tensioner, idlers, seals...

I don't know who the heck DNJ is, but it can't be that much worse than what Hyundai put on it 12 years ago.

Stands for "Domestic 'N' Japanese". Seems like a good company but I can't find anything on them. At any rate they are the only brand that I know that sells NEW water pumps, not remanufactured ones.

Have you priced out OEM parts? Search a couple dealerships as they will usually have specials of 10-20% coupons. If it isn't too much more, I'd go OEM then find a labor only mechanic.

Reason why many Hyundais get sold at belt time.

For my Civic's 200k service, I am finding the "extra" stuff is where some of these dealers are trying to whack me. Many have read about the $389 timing belt service at Hamilton Honda in NJ. I called them to see how much adding gaskets, seals, etc. would be. Close to $700 when all was said and done. Still an OK price overall ,but my local dealers can come close to that without a 3 hour drive. Another one went from $450 coupon for a basic t-belt service to $800 after tensioner, seals and gaskets being added. Another dealer said I don't need to replace the tensioner, so didn't include it in the quote. Other places won't respond to emails, and I haven't had time to call a bunch of places.

An indy shop I went to quoted me over $1k for a non-OEM parts set without a tensioner. Last round it cost me about $900 and I didn't do the cam or crank seal.

At 200k, I was going to do the following: T-belt, water pump, tensioner, cam seal, crank seal, valve cover gasket, and drive belts. I'll probably get the radiator hoses replaced too while it is drained. Hopefully there are no surprises.

check out different stealers they all seem to have different prices.. if its under hyundai warranty be careful use a quality belt. Also check out engine shops we are a lot cheaperthan that for most timing belts.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Know I'm asking a lot of questions but I know nothing about the timing in an engine.

The goodyear kit that I want to order says it has the tensioner and the belt in the description. The dayco kit says it has tensioner, idler, and belt. They are in the same category and look very similar parts in the pics.

Technically in the pictures I see of the Goodyear kit I see belt, tensioner and idler. Just like the Dayco. Is it possible they just didn't list it in the descriptions anywhere? I mean why have a "kit" with a tensioner but no idler?

Also I may choose to buy the camshaft and timing cover seals as well as spark plugs. They really get you on those "kit" deals...you can buy them for much cheaper separately.

Also - Pronto Water Pump...any good? I have the choice of Pronto, Gates, AC Delco, or DNJ.

For something this critical, stick with the Genuine Hyundai parts. The aftermarket kits may be made by the same manufacturer as the original supplier, but there's no way to guarantee that the quality is the same since the OEM usually owns exclusive rights to the tooling used for production.

BTW, $75/hr is dirt cheap.

From my experience, $100-$120/hr is quite common for independents.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Sell it and buy a different vehicle

right, thats the thing to do... so we just send more cars to the junkyard and buy new vehicles. whats so wrong with maintaining a vehicle? it happens, you know.

Meh do the timing belt only, do all the rest of the stuff at the 120k interval. Personally, i think 60k for a timing belt is nuts.

I currently own a 2003 XG350L, it has the same 3.5L motor as the santa fe. At 60k miles my uncle and I changed the timing & accessory belts also the spark plugs. It was a PITA to do! We worked on it for 2 days (4hrs to take apart 4 to put it back together)I used Goodyear belts and Autolite XP plugs, flushed and filled with Amsoil coolant.I was told by my local dealer that my water pump was covered under power train warranty to 100K. To replace the 3 spark plugs near the firewall the upper intake plenum must be removed and re installed. The original timing belt (Replacement goodyear was made in korea) looked very good at 60k no cracks just very slight wear, could easily go 90k. The accessory belts were shot as were the O.E.M. (Champion) spark plugs. Been over 6 yrs and 50k miles everything was changed out no issues. Hope this helps.
smile.gif

thank you s walmer. should i order from rockauto or anywhere else online, what "accessory belts" will i be looking for? these would be different from the kit i assume and they probably have a different name than just accessory belts. thanks!

My newer Hyundai Accent has a change interval of 90k while the slightly older ones are 60K.

If your going to change every 60k, I would change the belts only and do the pump/tensioner etc every other belt change.

This has worked well for my mitsubishi and hyundai products.

It has been sometime since I ordered the parts, as memory serves the accessory belts consist of the air conditioner, power steering and alternator belts. They would be a separate purchase from a so called "timing belt kit". I purchased them at autozone or advance auto not sure anymore. rockauto would be a great choice I have used them many times in the past also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back