Wheel weights

Found several adhesive wheel weights on my asphalt driveway. At first I thought they were mosaic tiles. After putting glasses on I realized they were adhesive wheel weights that had fallen off.

My F250 has nice Ford factory wheels. Not steelies with hub caps.

I was under the impression that if you had nice wheels they used adhesive wheel weights vs pounding in weights at the edge of the rim and scratching up the rim.

The truck vibrated a lot today also. Obviously going to get the wheel balanced. Do I ask for regular wheel weights or adhesive ones?

Tape weight on the outside of the wheel and clip-ons on the inside. Often a wheel can be balanced with one single tape weight placed between the inside and outside depending on the position. of the spokes. Over the last 10 years, I have gotten many tires that barely needed any weights. Accuracy and precision in manufacturing have improved.

Depending on the construction type of the aluminum alloy wheel, I prefer installing adhesive weights to both inboard and outboard sides; especially a newer wheel.

I use stick-on weights mounted on the inside of aluminum wheels. Regular clip-on weights will scratch the clearcoat and you will see black corrosion and peeling clearcoat under the weight after a while.

Found several adhesive wheel weights on my asphalt driveway. At first I thought they were mosaic tiles. After putting glasses on I realized they were adhesive wheel weights that had fallen off.

My F250 has nice Ford factory wheels. Not steelies with hub caps.

I was under the impression that if you had nice wheels they used adhesive wheel weights vs pounding in weights at the edge of the rim and scratching up the rim.

The truck vibrated a lot today also. Obviously going to get the wheel balanced. Do I ask for regular wheel weights or adhesive ones?
I have steelies on my dually and had nothing but trouble with the hammered on old style wheel weights.. finally told the goodyear dealer to use the stick on weights.. no problems since.. its possible they didn't clean your wheel before applying the weights would be my thought.

If the wheel has provisions for clip on weights on the outside we generally use clip ons vs stick ons. That said most aluminum wheels dont have provisions for clip on wheel weights on the outside.

Ok. I thought you could pound on the clip on weights to any rim.
No, there has to be a ledge for the weight to clip onto. There are also 8 different profiles for clip on weights for the different wheel styles. There are shops that have switched solely to stick on weights to not have to stock so many different weights.

No, there has to be a ledge for the weight to clip onto. There are also 8 different profiles for clip on weights for the different wheel styles. There are shops that have switched solely to stick on weights to not have to stock so many different weights.
Will the stick on weights stay weights stay on until removed?

I've seen tires/wheels treated with silicone spray foam dressing have problems with stick on weights. Both getting them to stick initially and coming loose later on. Problems getting them to stick initially makes sense but coming off later I don't know if the tire dressing attacks the adhesive or what.

I've seen tires/wheels treated with silicone spray foam dressing have problems with stick on weights. Both getting them to stick initially and coming loose later on. Problems getting them to stick initially makes sense but coming off later I don't know if the tire dressing attacks the adhesive or what.

Silicone around tires is always an issue. The stuff is very slippery and difficult to remove. It doesn't dissolve the adhesive - it prevents the adhesive from working!

Back