What’s your favorite hand cleaner?

I picked up some Permatex Fast Orange with no pumice. I might be dropping a oil pan soon and like to have a break now and again without going through a major hand wash. This can be used with water or without.

8266917F-87E5-43B3-A98C-DD6B7435D4FE.jpeg

I have used GOOP 1 gallon citrus pumice , Clea Nature Grit (at work), Tarkelp orange hand soap & Gojo Green (at work)

Out of all of them I currently use GOOP and Tarkelp and WD40 pumice bar soap in my personal garage. I like them all evenly but for the price the 1 gallon GOOP Orange can be had for cheap at harbor freight and maybe last a whole year.

The worse soap for the shop is Clea Nature Grit, the older formula was the bees knees and loved it a lot at work. Then they moved to a newer formula aka waterless, the pumice would fall off suspension to the bottom of the container, causing little of it to pump out making very ineffective hand cleaner for shop use, it felt more like a soap and lotion combination which felt very poor to clean greased up hands. Woke EPA formulation on the Clea Nature Grit ruined the product and now we're using Gojo Green which is miles better and generously has good amount of pumice, can clean very dirty hands with one or two pumps vs 5-10 pumps from the Clea Nature Grit.

Another honorable mention is IC Hand Cleaner, this stuff is some real industrial grade crystal based pumice hand cleaner I had a few times using when doing work on a offset printing press project where inks can become permanent stains. This stuff is expensive but is by far the most effective hand cleaner ever used. Even small amounts can get the most dirty hands very clean. This is something I would look for if money is not a concern.

Last edited:
I've gravitated toward using disposable gloves a lot of the time, and when I don't, I prefer a non-pumice orange cleaner in combination with a brush.

And sometimes, washing hands with the gloves on can get them back to a pretty decently clean state, instead of donning another pair.

Back