What's up with Fuel Prices ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not that aware as some of you guys are....can anyone shed some light what's up with fuel prices.

Over the last 6 weeks.....fuel prices seem to go have gone up on average about 10 cents a gallon.

Our increase here has been about $0.43/gallon.

On 2/26/07 I paid $2.259 for a gallon of regular unleaded.
On 4/5/07 I paid $2.689 gallon.

Probably still less than you've paid in NY.

look for gas to drop over next month and diesel to rise as summer changeover occurs at refineries....JP4 demand jumps cutting into diesel production just as diesel demands are climbing for summer

Supply/demand! Quit wasting it and you won't have to worry about fuel prices.

Also, the oil companies know that the rest of the world where people can afford private (often multiple) car ownership can pay even more than twice compared to what we here in the US currently pay. By bravely troopering on and consuming as liberally as we want or can (it's not the same thing!), we signal the oil companies our willingness to pay more that we already are and practically ask them to help themselves to our money. What the market will bear determines the price to a large degree.

My response to rising gas costs: I still buy gas for the same amount as always, but I drive less. I combine running errands and take my bike more often. I also switch immediately gas stations and never pay with plastic, but pay only cash (It's no market researcher's business when where and how much I spend). Rising gas cost also immediately results in me becoming a bad consumer. I stop buying any any stuff that I really don't need. I do that not out of need, but out of principle.

Quote:

what do you think will be the high this summer $3.50/gallon?

Regular hit $4 here in SF last week, and this was reported as the highest local gas price ever. Average for Regular is now $3.40 or so in the city. I wouldn't be surprised if we hit $5 a gallon some time this year and $6 next year.

Quote:

My response to rising gas costs: I still buy gas for the same amount as always, but I drive less. I combine running errands and take my bike more often.

Thats about all we can do.
Gasoline demand is high and inventories are down. In response to that wholesale gasoline has gone from around $1.40 to $2.12 in the last 3 months. Bottom line.. People are not cutting back..look for prices to go higher.

Spending money that one doesn't have is easy, possibly easier than spending money one has -- depending on one's state of mind. We'll run out of fossil fuel before we run out of people who'll pay for that fuel.

Seriously...isnt it funny (see deja vu)...here we are in a gasoline/fuel situation again...and Detroit is cranking out the muscle cars again....just like 30+ years ago
smile.gif

Price of a barrel of oil went up about $10 in the last month or so.

Actually, I'm not complaining at all about fuel prices. I'm simply reporting my data point.

Both of my cars get about 30 MPG, give or take. One is paid for, the other inexpensive.

Only in the paid-for car is fuel, even at $3.00/gallon a significant cost of ownership.

Currently the 94 Prizm is $0.129/mile to drive. If I get only 30MPG and pay $3/gallon, that is $0.10/mile.

For most folks, buying a $20K car and keeping it 100K miles costs them $0.20/mile before they buy a drop of gas. So gas is cheap when compared to the total cost of ownership for most cars.

I really don't understand why people who can afford to buy $40K SUV's complain about the cost of fuel. It's such a small part of their ownership costs.

Quote:

I really don't understand why people who can afford to buy $40K SUV's complain about the cost of fuel. It's such a small part of their ownership costs.

Well, of course, not all of them complain. But, there are apparently a very large number of them that really have a hard time affording to fund fueling their choice of vehicle. Too bad for them. I've said for years that the "Gotta have a Hemi to go to the grocery store" crowd (or whatever label you want to invent) wouldn't change their preference until gas hit at least 5.00 per gallon. Maybe I was wrong, maybe it will take gas at 7.00 per gallon. It's just too cheap now to make a significant impact on consumption.

Even Starbucks sells coffee at much higher prices than gas. Bottled water, too, for that matter...and people still buy. We're spoiled rotten rich, that's why. The poorest of us are typing on computers!

In the near term, what's driving the current "spike" is Middle East tension, and.... and... our country's mandate to make all sorts of special blends of fuel for many individual markets. Lately, it seems to happen every year at this time. I wish the media would do some digging here. It goes up because the refineries need to start making special blends, not to mention the distribution of it all.

Guess what, the same group of people who control or oil and gas are now the same group of people who own most of our newspapers and television stations. There will be no serious digging

In the last 3 weeks we have gone from $1.94 to $2.72!

Glad my last tank was 44.08 mpg but still has not slowed any one down..

Bill

The weather folks are predicting a had hurricane season this summer in the Gulf and East Coast.

If one slams into the oil storage and refineries in the Gulf, fuel prices will be at record levels.

Even with higher prices now, seems that traffic is heavy? I look for prices going much higher this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back