What's this all about? Ticket for parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
When I moved to California, I quickly learned the law as Pop_Rivit posted. Maybe it's because I'm curious and have an interest in proper motoring. The law is written because of the problem with runaway vehicles and the horrible consequences. Apparently, leaving it in park or in gear, and with the parking brake on isn't enough, or people don't bother with it 100% of the time.

As I mentioned it was a small hill, and a lesson learned for my daughter in law. No big deal, the fine was paid, it's over. The reason for me posting about it was 1. A rant, and 2. Maybe someone would benefit from her mistake.

I have no issues with taking a little heat on the site, but when someone insinuates that a family member lacks brains, that's not good. But then again look who the stupid comment came from. Or is attacking family members OK too? I sure hope not.

BTW I have no problem with you, your comments were perfect for what I had to say here. Thanks for giving me the opportunity!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I have no issues with taking a little heat on the site, but when someone insinuates that a family member lacks brains, that's not good. But then again look who the stupid comment came from. Or is attacking family members OK too? I sure hope not.

Unfortunately it seems it goes with the territory, kind of gutless imo to attack someone that can't respond for themselves. But, at least it was on the board for all to see and make a judgement about the comment and the poster, not hidden in some really gutless covert pm personal attack. Having experienced the latter I can empathize with your feelings here.

To the topic, while it would be ideal to know all the local parking laws immediately after moving to an area, sometimes understandably it's not exactly at the top of the list of priorities. And there's nothing particularly illuminating about the reason for parking front wheels in facing down a hill, and out facing up. Learned that in drivers ed class decades ago. The difference is between best practice parking and knowing it's a ticketable offense.

Yea it goes with territory, and some people aren't so bright so its to be expected.

We all hopefully learned how to park on a hill in drivers ed, anyone who I taught how to drive learned it because I drive stick. Parking her automatic transmission car on a "slight hill" or any place for that matter with the brake set is something she instinctively does. She didn't think this slight hill would matter. Ironically when she got back to the car hadn't rolled an inch. Oh well. Again lesson learned.

Oh the arrogance. One who thinks that a family member should be above the law because they are in the military. Doesn't say much for them.

Funny how one attacks a cop who can't respond to such a gutless attack, yet whines when it is pointed out that another also lacks the brains to learn the law. Then again, look who it's coming from.

At least it's on the board for all to see and make a judgement about the arrogance and the poster of said stupid arrogance.

Guess arrogance is genetic.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
So, in your opinion, because they are in the military they should be held to lower standards than the rest of the population?

I disagree. The military men and women with whom I'm familiar all hold themselves to a higher standard, and would never think of letting something "slide", and they'd never insinuate that the officer in this case didn't have the "brains" to let it slide.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Oh the arrogance. One who thinks that a family member should be above the law because they are in the military. Doesn't say much for them.

Funny how one attacks a cop who can't respond to such a gutless attack, yet whines when it is pointed out that another also lacks the brains to learn the law. Then again, look who it's coming from.

At least it's on the board for all to see and make a judgement about the arrogance and the poster of said stupid arrogance.

Guess arrogance is genetic.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

So, in your opinion, because they are in the military they should be held to lower standards than the rest of the population?

I disagree. The military men and women with whom I'm familiar all hold themselves to a higher standard, and would never think of letting something "slide", and they'd never insinuate that the officer in this case didn't have the "brains" to let it slide.

LOL you really are a fool, is that genetic too? Where did I say there was a discussion with the person ticketing the car? The girl walked back to her car to find the ticket. Around here the Police look out for one another, and the Military for minor things like parking tickets. I guess reading between the lines is another one of your weak points.

Do you carry a PBA card,or have a sticker from the PBA on a window? Oh wait no you'd never do something like that would you?

Last edited:
I have Trajan on Ignore but after what demarpaint wrote I went ahead and read what Trajan said. I think that attacks on family members should not be allowed here.

A very intelligent person could be in a different state and not know all of the laws in that state. And I for one have respect for people who are serving their country.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I have Trajan on Ignore but after what demarpaint wrote I went ahead and read what Trajan said. I think that attacks on family members should not be allowed here.

A very intelligent person could be in a different state and not know all of the laws in that state. And I for one have respect for people who are serving their country.

Ignoring Trajan is a wise decision, I can't though, because he always manages to amuse and entertain me.

I'd like to know how far we can go with the family insults and name calling. I could have a field day here, but don't want to break any rules. It seems Trajan is testing the limits with the stupid comments. Can we kick it up a notch?

I agree with Demarpaint.

I do think that our military people deserve some courtesy.

PS: If there are no signs announcing the 'law' a visitor can not be expected to be familiar with such inane laws...I'd fight it on principle....It's clearly a revenue grab....

Originally Posted By: pbm
I agree with Demarpaint.

PS: If there are no signs announcing the 'law' a visitor can not be expected to be familiar with such inane laws...I'd fight it on principle....It's clearly a revenue grab....

Thanks! Like I said they paid it, lesson learned. His wife is recovering from surgery, and fighting it wasn't in the cards.

Yet another reason our country would be better off if CA slid into the ocean and sank.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Yet another reason our country would be better off if CA slid into the ocean and sank.

and there is no parking tickets in any other major city in the US?

Originally Posted By: css9450
I remember they taught us this in Driver's Ed all those decades ago, but never realized it was required by law.

I've never seen anyone parked like this unless the hill was fairly steep, and even then those with automatics usually don't do it even then. I've done it from time to time when I've had older stick-shift cars that I didn't trust the parking brake on, or if the hill was extraordinarily steep. . . .

It must not have been a law in Colorado when I lived there 1997-2001, or maybe they didn't enforce it. People parked without doing this on the semi-steep hills in Golden (yes, the town with the Coors plant) and in Denver. I, the expatriate flatlander, was the only one I saw who cramped his wheels into the curb on the downslope, and out from the curb on the upslope.

I learned my lession about parking with the wheels turned in the appropriate direction. At my old job, I used to just drive in the parking lot and yank the parking brake and put it in first gear.

One day I was late for an appointment and had to grab a few servers. I backed the car up to the building, put it in 2nd gear (with no parking brake) and hopped out to run in the building. I got just inside when the car started to roll away.

I park on a hill where I live. Unless I park the car in 2nd gear, it doesn't like to shift. So I make sure that the wheels are turned and the parking brake is set.

I agree with Demarpaint.

They do get courtesy.

Breaking or being ignorant or thinking that they are above the law is not a courtesy.

It is arrogance. Whether learned, or taught. And in case anyone forgot, it was the *wife* who got the ticket. Guess she felt above the law too.

Probably thinks that using parking for the physically handicapped is OK too.

Last edited:
Courtesy is letting someone ahead of you in line, or holding the door for someone.

It is also parking your car in a way to keep it from rolling into the street to cause an accident or into the car ahead of it.

Since this thread is still on-going, I'll pitch in. Let's just step back and look at the facts of the case.

Demarpaint - tell your son, thank you for his service. If I could ask, what's he do in the USN?

One of the challenges in that service is moving frequently, and learning all the new laws that go with the new state/city/county into which you've moved. I've moved 8 times in 27 years, and I'm on the low side...

The cop who wrote the ticket was enforcing the law. That law exists in San Diego (and San Francisco) because of the steep hills and the hazard that an improperly parked car (including wheels turned) can present to the public.

So this is not the cop over-reaching.

That cop had no way of knowing that she was new in town. Those base stickers and the out of state plate could have belonged to a sailor who had been living in CA for a decade. Soldiers/sailors can remain residents of their home state or a previous state when they are transferred (ref: soldiers and sailors civil relief act).

So this is not the cop being unfair to military.

My advice would be to chalk it up to experience...you could go to court and plead the points you have made (new in town, etc.) but the judge is likely to state that she should have done a bit of homework on her new town and let the ticket stand. Even if the judge were sympathetic, she still loses hours of her time over a $60 ticket that isn't going to affect her insurance.

Live and learn.

Last edited:
I agree with Demarpaint.

And if I turn right on red in NYC, in ignorance of the law while I am visiting, then I can expect that the cops there will grant me the same proposed courtesy?

I have a hard time picturing that, "Sir, I see you're from Virginia, so you must not be familiar with our law prohibiting right on red in this fair city, please allow me to familiarize you with our rules in lieu of citing you for your clear moving violation"...

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I received a jay walking ticket there. I was in the cross walk but didn't have the walk light. No traffic visible so I crossed. As I walked down the street I saw some officers standing there and received a $100 ticket. I told the lady at the hotel about this making small talk and she said she received one also. She never paid it and after a few years it skyrocketed to $1200.

Reminded me of Harold and Kumar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXF7_0CAAdo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back