What's this all about? Ticket for parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
The San Diego local code 86.08.1 states that

Originally Posted By: 86.08.1
No person driving, or in control of, or in charge of, a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand on any highway unattended when upon any grade exceeding three percent (3%) within any business or residence district without blocking the wheels of said vehicle by turning the front wheels diagonally against the adjacent curb so as to prevent the vehicle from rolling down said grade.

While I personally think it's a bit silly, it's par for the over-regulated coasts and ignorance of the regulations isn't an excuse. If the folks of San Diego feel they need such a regulation on the books, and someone chooses to live there, then it's up to them to know the local regulations. Sometimes that knowledge comes in the form of a $60 lesson.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I would have thought with all the active duty Military stickers [parking etc.] on the vehicle the cop would have had the brains to let it slide, especially on this joke of a hill. I guess not. As already mentioned live and learn.

So, in your opinion, because they are in the military they should be held to lower standards than the rest of the population?

I disagree. The military men and women with whom I'm familiar all hold themselves to a higher standard, and would never think of letting something "slide", and they'd never insinuate that the officer in this case didn't have the "brains" to let it slide.

The city wants money.

I got a parking ticket for parking 25 feet away from a fire hydrant. I'm not sure what the code is, but I'm sure it's less than 25.

Originally Posted By: FoxS
Actually, CA is going to be in surplus thanks to Jerry Brown and a Democrat majority who managed to raise taxes on the wealthy.

Yeah because raising already high taxes is so much better than cutting wasteful spending and operating within a budget and oh my can't have anybody too rich from, you know, working hard and succeeding in life!

People are waking up and fleeing places like California.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I disagree. The military men and women with whom I'm familiar all hold themselves to a higher standard, and would never think of letting something "slide", and they'd never insinuate that the officer in this case didn't have the "brains" to let it slide.

It's certainly your right to disagree. I was waiting for someone to make that comment. Lets see if I opened the flood gates. I think when the car is parked on a slope and it won't roll unless you push it you should cut some slack. We're not talking DWI here, its parking. I have friends who are police and cut fellow officers and Military people slack from time to time. Once again the fine was paid lesson learned. No big deal, I was commenting from my POV and how I operate. I cut young Military personnel breaks in my business its my way of saying thanks. For the record these remarks are mine, not my son's.

I remember they taught us this in Driver's Ed all those decades ago, but never realized it was required by law.

I've never seen anyone parked like this unless the hill was fairly steep, and even then those with automatics usually don't do it even then. I've done it from time to time when I've had older stick-shift cars that I didn't trust the parking brake on, or if the hill was extraordinarily steep.

In my mind, I picture the cop walking down the entire street and ticketing almost every single car there. Its like a machine to print money!

Originally Posted By: css9450

In my mind, I picture the cop walking down the entire street and ticketing almost every single car there. Its like a machine to print money!

That's what I see. End of the month quota, chaaaaa chingggggggg.

A few points: the "parking nazi's" in San Diego are NOT police. They are considered "code enforcement" officers and are not sworn like Peace Officers are. Also, if you want to fight a parking ticket, you go to an administrative hearing, not a court of law. It's a finely-tuned racket to generate revenue for the city.

I was parked in a No-Parking-On-Wednesday-Morning zone (street sweeping), and when the parking Nazi came by, I told him I would move immediately. He said OK, but what he meant was OK, I'm going to give you a ticket anyway. Only he didn't actually give me a ticket, but he recorded it as if he did. I got a notice in the mail that said since I hadn't paid the original ticket, which I never received, I now owed $220. I called them and protested, to no avail. I paid it.

It would be nice to live in the world that Pop-Rivit describes, with all laws and local codes decided by a majority of the citizens, where police show no favoritism, and sparkly-clean military folks never speak ill of public officials. San Diego, unfortunately, is not this Shangri-La.

I hate parking tickets, especially when it comes to arbitrary enforcement of obscure regulations like tire angles and appropriate use of parking lights, but is it really necessary to compare meter maids to Nazis?

Originally Posted By: Stelth

It would be nice to live in the world that Pop-Rivit describes, with all laws and local codes decided by a majority of the citizens, where police show no favoritism, and sparkly-clean military folks never speak ill of public officials. San Diego, unfortunately, is not this Shangri-La.

It would be the perfect place wouldn't it?

Originally Posted By: kb01
I hate parking tickets, especially when it comes to arbitrary enforcement of obscure regulations like tire angles and appropriate use of parking lights, but is it really necessary to compare meter maids to Nazis?

Hm. Well, it clearly connotes the contempt I feel for them. However, I guess I could go with "brown shirts," or "racketeers."

Recently got two parking on street-sweeping days here in SB - on Veterans Day! Holiday for County but not City, so they ticketed a bunch of cars. Fought it. Lost. Twice.

*&(&#*(#

I'd rather donate that $$ to a charity that needs it, not one that will mismanage it.

Need to read up on Cali and their stupid laws. My wife is insisting on going to LA, San Diego and Sacramento when I go to Las Vegas in April. Not looking forward to it.. can't be any worse than Illinois though.

Originally Posted By: kb01

It is called Godwin's Law.

Last edited:
I would have thought with all the active duty Military stickers [parking etc.] on the vehicle the cop would have had the brains to let it slide, especially on this joke of a hill. I guess not. As already mentioned live and learn.

One would think that the driver would of had the brains to obey the law. Guess not.

Do you know all the laws on the books for every state? Especially when you're only living in a state for a short period of time?

Guess again Trajan, the driver has more brains than you, that much I know for sure. You proved it with that stupid remark which was totally uncalled for.

My son called me a bit PO'ed. He moved from Whidbey Island to San Diego when he got his new Military orders back in Sept. Anyway last week his wife got a $60 ticket for Wheel Cramping? The ticket said the car was parked facing down hill and the wheels were not cramped. I know what that means and how to park on a hill, but give me a break. He said the hill was a joke, the car was in park and the parking brake was on. Is this how desperate the state of California is? This is the first this NY'er ever heard of anything like this.

When you exited that vehicle, you never noticed nearby vehicles wheel-cramped? You thought they did it voluntarily? You never bothered to question it either before walking too far away (Or) arriving at your destination?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
My son called me a bit PO'ed. He moved from Whidbey Island to San Diego when he got his new Military orders back in Sept. Anyway last week his wife got a $60 ticket for Wheel Cramping? The ticket said the car was parked facing down hill and the wheels were not cramped. I know what that means and how to park on a hill, but give me a break. He said the hill was a joke, the car was in park and the parking brake was on. Is this how desperate the state of California is? This is the first this NY'er ever heard of anything like this.

When you exited that vehicle, you never noticed nearby vehicles wheel-cramped? You thought they did it voluntarily? You never bothered to question it either before walking too far away (Or) arriving at your destination?

Read the thread carefully, my daughter in law was driving the car. I didn't notice anything I wasn't there. She did say other cars were ticketed as well. Not everyone is as astute as you and Trajan it appears. I guess you both know all the laws in all the states and never made a mistake. Good on the two of you. Oh wait, you missed some fine details in your reading comprehension, addressing your comments to me.

When I moved to California, I quickly learned the law as Pop_Rivit posted. Maybe it's because I'm curious and have an interest in proper motoring. The law is written because of the problem with runaway vehicles and the horrible consequences. Apparently, leaving it in park or in gear, and with the parking brake on isn't enough, or people don't bother with it 100% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back