What's more important: oil or filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil filter is barely needed. It will catch the rare larger than normal particle that may come from a chain tensioner, carbon/sludge from blow by which is extremely rare especially when the proper OCI is followed, or metal which is not normal. It's there "just in case".

With that said, I run a $16 Royal Purple filter on all my cars. The reason being I don't want the filter ever becoming the source of debris or choking off the oil supply. It has a much thicker can than most, good gasket, silicone ADBV, good pressure relief valve, wire backed synthetic media, and metal end caps. These features increase reliability and the synthetic media can flow well while filtering well, you don't have to choose one or the other. In other words, the filter is there for the rare time it's needed (and it does filter some stuff but unlikely it will ever get loaded) but it doesn't get in the way and cause more harm than it's worth.

I've found the RP ADBV works very well which is the biggest reason for this filter. Also, the bypass is also set to a higher psi than most which lessens the chance of unfiltered oil getting to the engine, not that it would be the end of the world. The bypass setting is a function of the media's ability to withstand the pressure differential and little else.

I do 2 OCIs of 4-5k each on one filter. At this point the media is not even close to being full and like all filters, it will filter finer and finer as its used, up until it becomes restrictive.

The air filter is a different story. Extremely important in reducing cylinder wall and ring wear, depending on the operating conditions. I use OEM which for the Acura is extremely high quality and run it up to 60,000 miles sometimes. The air filter will filter better the longer it's in service and the only downside if it becomes restrictive is a slight loss in power and only under heavy/full throttle. No, it does not affect mpg, a plugged air filter can't hurt mileage on a fuel injected car.

I had an 80,000 mile car in last year, that NEVER had another filter in it's life. No oil filter, no cabin filter, no air filter and no diesel filter.

The diesel filter housing wasstraining under the pressure from the in tank pump though, and I put the car up-to-date with it's maintenance.

The oil filter (paper) didn't look blocked, but the media came apart as a crumbled cooky when I removed it (cartridge).

No oil changes were registered either, but it must have at the very least had top-ups as the level was fine. The car was sold on, and still drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back