whats a good bottle jack ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a shorty or low profile.
Just for my autos, so doesn't need to be too many tons.
Say a little over 6" tall.
Whats a good brand?
Where to buy?
Thanks

Unless you need a bottle jack, I'd spend the money on a Harbor Freight low-profile 2-ton floor jack (it's made of orange-painted steel, not an aluminum racing jack) instead. It's a better Chinese product for your dollars. Mine The problem with many bottle jacks is that they don't lift high enough to be of any use underneath a car.

Last edited:
Any jack should make you nervous. But my 6 ton (cummins) bottle jack makes me a lot less nervous than my 2 ton Goodwrench floor jack. Before I had jack stands, I'd sometimes use both (as a backup).

Originally Posted By: dparm
The jack only gets the car in the air, you are using jack stands once it's up so who cares....

Yeah, but do you want your car to fall off the jack on the way up?

I prefer the wide stance of a floor jack over a bottle jack any day. Which is why I believe others are suggesting it.

I'm not up on the latest bottle jacks, but they also seem to high for my liking.

Thanks for all the replies/ advise.
I have a floor jack. Floor jack takes up too much room under car.
I need a jack when changing oil on my car. Just needs to be jacked up enough to access oil filter + drain plug.
All 4 wheels still on the ground
I will use a block of wood as a jack stand.

I found this on amazon... what do you all think? Price looks OK? Quality?

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Tool-Desi...2250&sr=8-1

Lifts a little over 6" to about 10 1/2"
Has good review too.

Last edited:
If you have a floor jack why not just jack up on the pinch seams? I do that on our econo boxes just jacking on the side closest to the oil pan. I also put an old rag in between to protect the paint.

Jack out of the way and car just high enough with 4 wheels on the ground.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
If you have a floor jack why not just jack up on the pinch seams? I do that on our econo boxes just jacking on the side closest to the oil pan. I also put an old rag in between to protect the paint.

+1, that is what I do with our Vibe. Harbor freight 2 ton floor jack on the pinch weld area. Works great and that little jack cannot get much smaller for a floor jack. It's got a carry handle on the darned thing it is so light. Great buy for 20 bucks.

Originally Posted By: stevekk
This the jack you are talking about?
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-compact-floor-jack-66725.html

Yep, that is the one. I've had it two years and changed the oil and other things with it and it works slick. I love how small it is and it is well made for the price. I'd buy another one. It just disappears next to the wall in the garage because of its skinny profile.

My wife can lift it by its handle one handed, that is how light it is.

Before I got this one, I used a very heavy floor jack that was overkill for changing oil and took up a bunch of room.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gomes512

That's what I do too. But some must like doing things the hard way.
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back