Affordable Lightweight Jack Suggestion

Hey all,
Looking for some advice.

I'm looking for a floor jack that is light enough to move around with ease but sturdy enough for a full-size SUV. I had a nice PowerTorque 3.5-ton jack (PT34795) but it was TOO HEAVY!

According to the specs that one weighed 101lbs.

I sold it to my coworker and now I'm on the hunt for something that I can move more easily. I am 130-140lbs, moving that 100lbs jack sucked especially trying to lift it in and out of a vehicle.

I will mainly be using it for smaller cars like my Volt, partner's Kicks, or mom's Accord, but I have friends with full-size trucks and SUVs that I'd like to be able to work on (for example, a 2007 Expedition).

Price wise I'd like to spend under $300.

I found this, do you think this will be good enough?

How heavy and high is the SUV?

I’m not a big HF fan, but their lightweight Al jacks are really good. Even the mini one (1.5ton?) which I got hooked on borrowing from a neighbor. It was so light and easy to carry. So now I own a couple. I’ve had them to lift my Dodge Ram 2500 CTD but it was pretty stressed.

Even the biggest one isn’t very heavy, but the smallest one was so light it really impressed me. I’d probably go up as far as your budget and arm muscles allow, within reason. Or based upon lift height.

Slightly over your budget, but this Arcan floor jack has very good reviews:

ARCAN Aluminum 3 Ton Jack

If you decide to go with the Harbor Freight Aluminum Jack you linked above, be sure to sign up for the HF Inside Track Membership as the $40 discount will offset the $30 ITM cost.

Last edited:
I have the 2.5 HF aluminum for garage and driveway work, and a 2.0 HF to bring whenever towing trailers. They are reasonably lightweight.

I believe I've purchased 3 of the little Pittsburgh aluminum jacks. Of course they are backed up with jack stands, but they throw into the pickup bed like nuthin'.
I do keep a little jack oil on hand for when they get old and squishy...

I imagine the bigger Pittsburgh will be every bit as useful.

If I could go back in time a few years I would have bought the 3 ton aluminum harbor freight @ about 60lbs. The 3 ton HF freight jack I bought on sale was something like 125$ but weighs about a hundred lbs, it's $289 right now. Degenerative disc now relegates that fudger 100% to my garage. Great jack, not so much portable. I'll end up buying a lighter jack eventually - probably die with that 100+ lb monster in my garage.

Just looked at HF site - the 2.5 ton - which honestly is enough unless you are jacking up the pumpkin, and even then it's really enough..... is 54 lbs, and is @$179

I used a 2.5 ton Craftsman for 30 years before I went up to the 3 ton.

The HF jacks are a great value. I have had the 3 ton low-profile steel jack for about 5 years and it has been great. According to the HF site it weighs about 78 lbs and $159. The aluminum 3 ton version is listed at 63.3 lbs and $259. Whether the 15 lb difference is worth the price difference is debatable, but the lighter-duty aluminum versions are more affordable and weigh less.

Thank you all for your input. I ended up just getting a cheap little jack for the small cars and I cleaned out my storage and found a big bottle jack I can use on larger vehicles.

Back