What would cause inconsistent oil consumption?

I have a 2014 Accord, with just under 120,000 miles. It had begun to use about a quart every OCI (7500-9000 miles, based upon the Maintenance Minder hitting 15% remaining). Changed PVC. Still losing a bit. Put in HPL's Euro version of 0w20, and it lost about half-way down on the dipstick and stopped. Been holding at about 1/2 quart low now for a few thousand miles. Perhaps it cleaned the rings so that they rotate slowly like they are supposed to do. Watching closely to see if it continues to hold here...if so, it's either a coincidence or something changed for the better.

engines burn different amounts of oil during different operation.

From memory: the 2013 outback would burn a quart in 1500 miles with high speed driving.
nearly nothing in around town and relaxed driving.
averaged 1qt 1800-3000 miles.

If you are using different brands/types of oils between changes, some will be more volatile than others. A different mix of driving (city vs high speed highway) can increase or decrease consumption, as well.

All that said, I would not consider needing a half to a full quart every 2000 miles a problem at all. Think of it as a chance to replenish the additives in the oil a bit between oil changes.

So I have a 2013 Accord Sport with about 149,000 miles and I realized around 100k that my engine was consuming a decent amount of oil. Maybe half a liter or so in between oil changes. It's slightly gone up over the years but here is when things get weird...

I've had times where I check the oil level at 2,000 miles and I'm at the minimum line and there are times where I check the oil level at 2500 and have barely lost any oil. What would cause it to be inconsistent like this? No oil leaks under the car for the record...
Do you sometimes take long highway drives at elevated RPMs? And other times mostly city driving with lower RPMs? My Subarus have always seen a little more drop when I've put 25%+ of the miles on at speeds above 75MPH, since they're turning over 3k RPM. If I essentially drive all city/local highways with speeds less than 65 for the duration of the OCI, the level never changes.

Those Accords are notorious oil burners, my mom has a 2015 and goes through at least 2 qts between changes which isn't too bad compared to others, I'd be using at least 5w30 but the dealer uses 0w20. She never checks her oil, waits until it's already making noise and then asks me to look at it and it's always 1-1/2 to 2 qts low by then, it was rattling last time I looked at it so I topped it off whatever I had lying around that had already been opened and I got it to in between the marks, she was going to have the oil changed anyways so I didn't want to waste opening a fresh bottle on it.

I changed the oil in it the previous time and used Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w20 which may have helped who knows but at least it made me feel better.

So I have a 2013 Accord Sport with about 149,000 miles and I realized around 100k that my engine was consuming a decent amount of oil. Maybe half a liter or so in between oil changes. It's slightly gone up over the years but here is when things get weird...

I've had times where I check the oil level at 2,000 miles and I'm at the minimum line and there are times where I check the oil level at 2500 and have barely lost any oil. What would cause it to be inconsistent like this? No oil leaks under the car for the record...
This thread is getting into discussion on Noack which can relate to oil consumption … the idea of the 30 is better ring seal and protection of the higher mileage engine …

Some engines don't like being a quart low of oil. Every quart low could raise the temp of your oil. Never wait to 2000+ miles to finally check your oil level.

Good thing you didn't buy a 2013 Theta II four cylinder turbo HyunKia product. That engine would probably had overcooked & died by 100K.

Do you mind quickly explaining your reasoning behind recommending these oils? What’s the benefit of running something slightly more viscous and why conventional? Also, what’s the difference between the T1 and the T4?
Usually a thicker oil helps with burning , depending on the cause . And using an Heavy Duty Motor Oil (HDEO) has more detergents than a Passenger Car Motor Oil ( PCMO ) and should clean a sticking piston ring . If that doesnt help I would try a piston soak next .

From my personal experience, both Kirkland and Supertech (same oil) showed increased oil burn rates compared to other synth oils I tried. As it was mentioned above, you can use xW-30 oil and semi-synth or even conventional oil will do its job well as long as you don't run extended OCIs.

From my personal experience, both Kirkland and Supertech (same oil) showed increased oil burn rates compared to other synth oils I tried. As it was mentioned above, you can use xW-30 oil and semi-synth or even conventional oil will do its job well as long as you don't run extended OCIs.
Regarding the semi synth or conventional oils, do you recommend those at the recommended 0w 20? Or something else?

Well, most of 0w-20 oils if not all are semi synth or synth. Some other oils are semi synth too even if sold as conventional. For example - Valvoline Daily Protection oil in 5w-30 and 5w-20 are blends.
Imho, if engine doesn't burn or very little and there is no fuel delusion - go with recommended viscosity. If it burns and you get fuel in oil - go with a little thicker oil.

Back