What tools to use to lift off 1'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to lift a car off all 4 corner to about 1' off ground and stay leveled. Wheels can touch ground but I need to slide under it safely.

What do you recommend? I'm not sure how to do it at home with just a 2 ton jack and 4 jack stands.

Should I gradually lift it up and prop it on bricks tiles? The biggest car I have is a Ford Taurus (about 3500 lb). I'm thinking rearing up a ramp, then hand brake it, then jack the front up high enough, and put another set of ramp in the opposite direction. Finally put wedges on the front and rear to avoid roll off.

I'm a bit nervous. Only 30 and still have hopefully another 60+ years ahead.

i have used the jack stand method for many years and have been very safe with it.

that being said one still has to use common sense you can pull the car off the jack stands with a huge pipe wrench and a cheater bar,
they sink into asphalt etc. you can ask me how i know some of this!

The jacking point and stand support points on my Civic make this work out nice and easy. I jack up the front, put the stands in, then jack up the rear and put in two more stands. I've done this plenty of times so far, getting it high enough that the wheels are off the ground for a tire rotation.

Just make sure to try and shake the car before getting under it.

The reason I want it flat is to add differential/tranny fluid to it through a fill hole toward the back. Otherwise I can drive it up a ramp to fix the rest of the stuff. I've had a few incidents in the past lifting the car up on both wheels on the front via 2 scissors jacks, and the front collapse the jack. Good thing my common sense tell me never get under the car when on a jack (jack stand is ok).

Someone should invent a portable shop lift that people can rent home and return after the job is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back