What to store oil sample in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
while waiting for the sample bottles to arrive?

I may be changine the oil this weekend and want to take a sample to see how the Syntec did in my engine on a 7500 miles run, but the sample bottle may not arrive in time.

Any particular types of bottles to use or not use to temporarily hold the sample?

I'd say a urine specimen cup ..but that will be just as hard to find.

Glass will be innocuous. I'd say any plastic bottle with a lid ..but if you don't clean it good enough ..and it had vitamins in it ..imagine the elemental infusion that it could lead to. A through Zinc
laugh.gif

From Blackstone Labs faq:

Any clean and dry container with a screw-on cap should be okay. Bad choices for the mail include Tupperware, film canisters, pickle jars, and aspirin bottles

I just went to Superstore and bought a bunch of those plastic drinking bottles, the ones that have the flip up spout. Got them for .99 each, use once and toss.

Just use a super clean mason jar. Wash 3 times, rinse 3 times with DI water. Rinse with 99% IPA. Dry and cover opening. Get new lid and ring. Sample 1/2-3/4 full and cover. When sample bottle arrives, agitate a bit and fill sample bottle.

One time I had to wait a long time for mine to arrive. I waited a couple of weeks and wondered what took so long, so I e-mailed them and they apparently forgot to send them, and sent me another one. Came within a few days after that.

Another question.

I now have the sample, but it's still in the temporary container in the shed. It's going to drop below freezing tonight.

Is it safe to store it outside in the shed or should I bring it indoors? Will the sample be affected by temperature fluctuations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back