What oil for a nissan titan 5.6 with scratched cylinder

You could do that and then some one rear ends out at a red light.

Why not get another 2 or 3 or 4 years? Maybe he trades the truck before it quits?
This^

I can't see 1 scored liner being detrimental enough to keep it from going another 5+ years. It'll just burn some oil. I would drive it until it's sold or something happens. Him being in Louisiana as with me being in Houston this hurricane season could put an end to our trucks if it feels like it.

Picking up a used 2017 Titan for a very very good price. I had the cylinders scoped, and cylinder 7 had the notorious vertical scratches in it from the factory.

The engine itself has 130,000 mi, runs perfectly, and has excellent maintenance records all the way back so original in-service date.

It is also very likely going to start knocking sooner rather than later.
So how does some vertical scratches in a cylinder manifest itself into causing the engine to start knocking when it's been running perfect for 130K miles? Knocking caused by what?

Picking up a used 2017 Titan for a very very good price. I had the cylinders scoped, and cylinder 7 had the notorious vertical scratches in it from the factory.

The engine itself has 130,000 mi, runs perfectly, and has excellent maintenance records all the way back so original in-service date.

It is also very likely going to start knocking sooner rather than later. The truck will not see any heavy towing, it will mainly be used as a daily Highway commuter and spend most of its life at 2300 RPM.

I already have the money set aside for the replacement engine and installation since I never have time to do anything fun anymore, but I'm curious which oil would be the choice given the situation.

Nissan originally spec'd a 5W30 for this bottom end, and it has slowly gotten thinner with time to 0w-20

In my vq40 setup, I have always run 0w 40 or 5w40 at 10,000 miles intervals. With 307,000 Mi on the clock, it pulls just as hard to redline as it always has. And it's run to Red Line countless times a day.
I run M1 Euro 0-40 in our 2014 Armada 5.6, these engines are hard on oil though and i wouldn't recommend going to 10K. I'll post some UOA I did while trying to figure out an OCI after I dig them up.

Not knocking as in a bad rad rod. Knocking as in it sounds like a Smurf in your engine trying to get out. It doesn't sound like piston slap. It's an odd sound.

Youtube nissan titan knock for the sound.

Inadequate oiling on cylinder 7.

I switched over to M1 Euro 0-40 after these UOA, got another UOA (which I can't find now) and could have gone to 10K on that oil fine, probably 12K, but I ended up settling on the M110 filter and M1 E 0-40 at 6K OCIs and all has been well.

When I pulled the head on my F150 to replace a water leak into cylinder #4, the cylinder had vertical scratches. I crossed my fingers and buttoned it up with a new head gasket. That was in 2003 and 100k miles ago. No noises or oil usage. Runs fine.

Not knocking as in a bad rad rod. Knocking as in it sounds like a Smurf in your engine trying to get out. It doesn't sound like piston slap. It's an odd sound.

Youtube nissan titan knock for the sound.

Inadequate oiling on cylinder 7.

Is it a machining problem causing a scratch in one cylinder - or an oiling problem?

If it were mine I'd leak it down and see exactly what Im dealing with. Maybe just bunch of nothing.

I run filtermags and a gold plug and always look for whats left behind and since breaking in there hasn't been much even with brutal towing, if I suspected a problem I might cut an inspect a filter twice in an OCI just to look.

It was a machining problem. It was only cylinder 7 and it was only some of them - since there were multiple honing machines - supposedly 1 had an issue or something. Its not lines - its scuffing on the cylinder wall - essentially its uneven cylinder wear before the engine is put into service. On inspection you can't see any crosshatch.

Many had a terrible knock in warranty. I think they extended the warranty to 100K or something.

Given your at 130K miles without the knock, I would just run and drive it as normal. It may never become an issue, the scoring might not be that bad. Just because it looks bad doesn't necessarily mean its deep. Like I said most showed up by now. When / if it does - deal with it then.

Mobil1 EP seems to work in my VQ's. I am in the thicker is better club.

It was a machining problem. It was only cylinder 7 and it was only some of them - since there were multiple honing machines - supposedly 1 had an issue or something. Its not lines - its scuffing on the cylinder wall - essentially its uneven cylinder wear before the engine is put into service. On inspection you can't see any crosshatch.

Many had a terrible knock in warranty. I think they extended the warranty to 100K or something.

Given your at 130K miles without the knock, I would just run and drive it as normal. It may never become an issue, the scoring might not be that bad. Just because it looks bad doesn't necessarily mean its deep. Like I said most showed up by now. When / if it does - deal with it then.

Mobil1 EP seems to work in my VQ's. I am in the thicker is better club.
Running 5qts of M1 5W40 and 2 qts of M1 15W50.

Seems marginally quieter

Can I ask what years had this defect ? I had looked at Titans, prior to the Pandemic.
TY

It was fixed at some point in 2019.

From that point on, the gas burner trucks are probably the most reliable trucks being made. The kinks are worked out. They don't have cylinder shut off. Traditional V8 column shifter. Made here in the US.

It's direct injection, but a simple air oil seperator takes about 5 minutes to install.

It's a shame they ruined their reputation with bad CVTs in crossovers and poorly handled recalls right about the time they put it all together

I'll probably get a low mileage 23 in a year or two and then keep it indefinitely.

Truck has been flawless for the last 2600 miles.

Search NTB19-057a

2017 to 2019 according to it. Wouldn’t surprise me if it went a little further but hard to say.

Perfect candidate for Restore or Rislone Compression Repair

Rislone Compression Repair with Ring Seal works by freeing sticky rings and filling gaps and scratches in cylinder walls, eliminating blow-by and compression loss while also reducing friction and wear.

Brace yourself, the frantic howls of "snake oil" is about to commence, but tune them out. These products are for very limited applications but yours is one where they would benefit. Can't hurt, very well might help, and super cheap to try. (Higher viscosity oil is not a "fix").

If it's not burning oil, simply use a synthetic 5W-40, like Rotella T6 or Mobil 1, 5W-40 TDT. Adequate MOFT/HTHS for protection of an engine with a few flaws.

As a general rule, a few scores in a cylinder can sometimes be a non issue and cause no problems.
In fact, there are engines with deliberate grooves to reduce compression for easier starting.
Not that I doubt you, but would you be kind enough to provide some examples? I never heard of such a thing

I've Been using chevron delo xsp 15w40 during the summer and 5w40 for winter in my 2018 titan to help with the engine knock problem. It has made the knock almost impossible to hear and more MOFT is a plus too.

ÌL Perfect candidate for Restore or Rislone Compression Repair

Rislone Compression Repair with Ring Seal works by freeing sticky rings and filling gaps and scratches in cylinder walls, eliminating blow-by and compression loss while also reducing friction and wear.

Brace yourself, the frantic howls of "snake oil" is about to commence, but tune them out. These products are for very limited applications but yours is one where they would benefit. Can't hurt, very well might help, and super cheap to try. (Higher viscosity oil is not a "fix").
Can't hurt? Dumping a ton of wear metals into your engine will always hurt.

I made an addition of tungsten disulfide powder for the hell of it.

Can't hurt? Dumping a ton of wear metals into your engine will always hurt.
Can you produce one shred of evidence? I didn't think so.

When used as directed, those products are completely safe. They have been on the market for years.

You asked for suggestions, I gave you one. If you don't like it, just live with your truck as is. I don't care what you do.

Back