What makes SN so special??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my matrix today. Decided I wanted to give PYB a try. Walmart had SN for 5L jug $20 and the SM 5L jug for $13 (I know...canadian oil prices are stupid). Why the $7 price difference?? Is it worth it?

Better deposit control, longer catalyst life and possibly improved fuel economy.

So yes.

Not a chance. Time to stock up in my book. The prices are going up. Wal-Mart here has bumped up all the prices across the board.

PP is now $24.50. Mobil 1 normal is $26, EP is $30 something. Mobil 5000 is $13.20, Castrol GTX $16.80, QS is $14, PYB is $15, Valvoline is $15.50, Maxlife $17 something.

I found the Pennzoil HM oil to be cheaper than the PYB. It was only $14 for the jug. All prices above are for 5 qt jugs BTW.

Interesting that QS went from $8 to $14 and Pennzoil from $12 a week ago to $15. Glad that my paycheck went up as well...

Also glad that there is no inflation... Another lie us sheepeople are being fed.

Back to your SM vs SN. No way would I pay the $7 for SN. Get the SM and more!

Bill

I agreed that it isnt worth it...maybe it's $7 more cause it has 40% more marketing...er...i mean...cleaning ability?
wink.gif

No way would I pay that difference....

Don't waste you hard earned cash grab the SM spec, save big and know your engine will be just fine!

You should have stocked up a couple of weeks ago when Walmart Canada had 5qt jugs of the new SN PYB for only $11.88!

Originally Posted By: Patman
You should have stocked up a couple of weeks ago when Walmart Canada had 5qt jugs of the new SN PYB for only $11.88!

Heck yes! I did exactly that. 6 jugs for $11.88 each. The fact that it was SN was nice because of the pretty new bottles, but that's about it
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Not a chance. Time to stock up in my book. The prices are going up. Wal-Mart here has bumped up all the prices across the board.

I did stock up my reserve over several years whenever there was a sale with rebate(s). My stash consists of 10 quarts M1, 15 quarts PP, 12 quarts PU, more than 40 quarts Synpower and 12 quarts Delo. Most of them was less than $1/qt and some was between $1 and $2/qt.

I'm not willing to pay more than $1/qt for conventional or more than $2-2.50/qt for synthetic before tax.

Originally Posted By: MatrixMulisha
Changed the oil in my matrix today. Decided I wanted to give PYB a try. Walmart had SN for 5L jug $20 and the SM 5L jug for $13 (I know...canadian oil prices are stupid). Why the $7 price difference?? Is it worth it?

Shouldn't the bar codes be the same? SN or SM it shouldn't matter. In the Walmart computers its still PYB 5W-30. I have not yet seen SN other than PYB and PP 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: MatrixMulisha

Shouldn't the bar codes be the same? SN or SM it shouldn't matter. In the Walmart computers its still PYB 5W-30. I have not yet seen SN other than PYB and PP 5W-30.

In my store in the midwest, I specifically looked at the barcodes on both and they were the same, so they should ring up the same.

Hi,
MatrixMulisha - You ask:
"What makes SN so special??"

IMO ACEA has forced the US Oil Industry to lift its game via the API. This has been going on now since the early very 1980s but the formation of ACEA and their first published Quality Standards in 1996 raised the ante!

The API's progression up the "S" and "C" Quality "tree" has produced some very good Quality Standards - they were reluctant starters and are still followers in some respects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back