What is your air filter change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have cleaned my AFE ProDry twice in 50K. I just vacuum with my old Electrolux with the brush atttachment. Never really seem dirty. Had a good silicon number on a recent UOA

I only changed MAYBE eight filters in my life of vehicles I maintain(ed) over the years.
One was completely full. About 3/8 inch of soot OVER the pleats.
The rest were from failure.

Always PureOnes where they are made for.

Outside of that, I never change. The MOST I will do is reverse blow out with compresssed air.

Dirt filters dirt filters dirt, just like dirt can filter your drinking water.

Last edited:
I changed mine for the first time at ~65,000 miles. I never even looked at it before then, and it could have gone back in, but for the pain it was to get out, the new one I had on hand went in.

Every 2 years or so. I also use the air compressor to gently reverse blow out the air filters once a year. I also do the K&N filter cleaning dance every 2 years on my BMW motorcycle.
Could I go longer? Maybe......... do I want to? No

JP

Oddly enough our Santa Fe never came installed with a cabin air filter. It went that way for 65,000 miles. I know why, once I decided to tear the glove compartment apart to smash a filter in there. It took half an hour and a drill, screwdriver, allen wrench, duct tape, and a flashlight.

No, I probably won't be taking it out for another 3 years.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Cummins advises against cleaning air filters:

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/SB_LT18727.pdf

**** that is interesting. I read that link, then went to their website and read some more. I find it hard to believe if you gently blow the dust out of an ordinary car air filter that it hurts anything. I wonder if their recommendations are for their more sophisticated diesel air filters? Hmmmmmmmm.
I'm willing to learn if someone wants to educate me on this one.

JP

Originally Posted By: JPP

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/SB_LT18727.pdf

**** that is interesting. I read that link, then went to their website and read some more. I find it hard to believe if you gently blow the dust out of an ordinary car air filter that it hurts anything. I wonder if their recommendations are for their more sophisticated diesel air filters? Hmmmmmmmm.

JP

It's not that you can't successfully clean a filter it's just that you could damage it fairly easily and not even know you did. The other element is that you may damage the sealing materials pulling it in and out and cause a sealing leak. In either case, you are sucking contamination into your engine over a long period and shortening it's life to a large or small degree (depending on how dirty the air is where you drive).

Best idea... install an air filter restriction gauge (google Filter Minder or Donaldson Informer) and don't mess with the filter until the device indicated significant restriction (on gassers 10-15 inches of water). When you install the new filter, make sure the fit and sealing is optimal, close the box and don't tough it again until the restriction gauge trips. It will tell you the OPTIMAL time to change it, whether that be a short period in harsh conditions or a long (or very long) time in easy conditions.

Mmm, I remember a guy posting a UOA here on failed engines that ingested too much dirty air due to blowing the air filters with compressed air. iirc it was with some Oz Nissans. Pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Mmm, I remember a guy posting a UOA here on failed engines that ingested too much dirty air due to blowing the air filters with compressed air. iirc it was with some Oz Nissans. Pretty interesting.

*** I will have to try to find that post. Would be nice to know what kind of filter, how aggressive he was with the air hose, filter on or off of car, etc...... I have only done this to my Fram & Purolator air filters about one time during their life span over the years. My engines have always ran fantastic. Guess until I learn more I will NOT do this anymore! Thanks for the info!

JP

I'd say about every 2 years. However, usually every other oil change I'll remove it,inspect, and try to beat out some of the dust, dirt or whatever contaminants are on or in between the pleats. Mileage wise I'd say about 24K.

A friend of mine is a mech who maintains a fleet of Ford E350 Wheelchair vans that have 6.0 diesels. He tells me that on average he changes air filters anywhere from 100K to 150K miles.

This is reassuring in support of the possibility that most of us (including myself) are changing out our air filters way too soon.

I find it funny that some will run their oil 10k+ miles but by God they will change that air filter every year even if it means they are putting more dirt in the engine. Old habits "ARE HARD" to break.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I find it funny that some will run their oil 10k+ miles but by God they will change that air filter every year even if it means they are putting more dirt in the engine. Old habits "ARE HARD" to break.

ROD

So true.

Originally Posted By: JPP

JP

The warning is because some muppets use a high pressure air line to clean air filters and blow holes in them. Air filters should be checked every OCI and replaced when real dirty only. How long that is just depends on both how dirty the roads and the air are.
Currently my Volvo TDI needs a new air filter every 50K km and a cabin air filter every year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back