What is the preferred 5W 20 or even 0W20 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched and read countless threads on 5W 20 oils. However they have centered on nissan/toyota's and modular ford v8's. My question is what is the preferred choice for a 3.5 6cyl in a ford fusion, 5W 20 or 0W 20? And which brand. Before finding this site with so many SME's on oil I had run MC 5W 20 syn blend for the first 100K and then switched to Valovoline MaxLife thereafter. For a syn blend MC 5W 20 appears to be a smart selection. In looking to step up to a sythetic, what synthetic would be the best choice. I'm in the Tampa FL area so it gets very warm in the summer months. And thank you for your input.

Why would you switch since you had such success with MC? For my modular V8 I am using QS 5W-20 at the moment. For my wife's Focus I will try PZ 5W-20.

Since you didnt say Im assuming you are still under warranty.

A lot of people would point to the Honda 0W20 if you can source it a reasonable price...

In reality at department stores its difficult to find anything other than Mobil 1 in 0W20...

If you can get it all else being equal I would likely buy Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 considering you still have to stick to 7500 miles for warranty.
If not I would buy PP 5W20. As a matter of fact given its low volatility Im not sure I wouldnt prefer the 5W20 in FL.

I dont really see anything wrong with your previous way of doing things although 100,000 seems pretty early for a High Mileage Oil.

Last edited:
No compelling reason to use 0W-20. 5W-20 would be fine for your temps. Any synthetic 5W-20 would do. I have not seen any inferior 5W-20 oils. Go with the sale or rebate. For example, pick up 5qts Quaker State full syn at WM for about 18.50, then get the $10 rebate. Oil has to be purchased by end of July. If money is no object and you tend to extend oil changes to 10k miles or longer, then pick up some 5W-20 Pennzoil Ultra, which is a really good oil. Pennzoil Platinum is good, Valvoline Synpower is good.

I generally do not use High Mileage oils unless seals are starting to leak or has much higher mileage than yours. But it would not hurt anything either.

Dave1251-Why would you switch since you had such success with MC? For my modular V8 I am using QS 5W-20 at the moment. For my wife's Focus I will try PZ 5W-20.
After reading the Dr Haas article and start up wear, I thought the synthetic would be better.

GeneK - Yes the car is new and under warranty, 150 miles on it. I have the typical WM selection of oils. Went High mileage at 100K for no solid reason.

bmwtechguy - With MC 5W20 I changed the oil at 4K, and was expecting to change Syn at 5K. Still getting "used" to extended philosophy.

In all honesty you could use any quality 5W-20 and a reasonable OCI and you will get rid of your ride before your engine would give out.

For 5k mile oil changes the MC 5W-20 will be plenty good. I cannot see any real benefit to paying for full syn with 5k mile oil change intervals. Now if it would help you sleep better at night, then go for it (full syn). Everyone needs a good night's rest!

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Anyone know if Mobil 1 0w-20 is sold in a 5qt? I have only seen the 0w-30 in a 5qt and the 0w-20 in a 1qt.

M1 0W20 and 0W40 are available in quarts only.

any name brand should be fine. I'm currently going with PP in my Mustang. I have some QS UD in stock as well that I'll either use next or when my stash of PP runs out.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
For 5k mile oil changes the MC 5W-20 will be plenty good. I cannot see any real benefit to paying for full syn with 5k mile oil change intervals. Now if it would help you sleep better at night, then go for it (full syn). Everyone needs a good night's rest!

I agree with this...For 5K mile OCI's 5w20 Motorcraft Blend is awesome...It holds up well in Miami jungle heat...We use in all our cars...We have been using it since it first came out.

Since the performance of all the 0W20's and 5W20's are all pretty close (all good), I use the HT/HS figures as a deciding factor (the higher, the better). Consider:

For Example,
HT/HS
2.7 - Mobil 1 5W20EP, Kendall 5W20 Full Synthetic w/Titanium,
Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic

2.8 - Amsoil 0W20

3.3 - Red Line 5W20

The upcoming GF-5 standards may change some of these numbers. But for right now, for my money, it is hard to see any benefits in using anything more expensive than that Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic. It's durability tested by Ford and you will tire of that Fusion, before you wear the engine out (if properly maintained). I recently, raided the Advance Autoparts around here to buy about 35 qts of it @ between $1.50 - $2/qt (clearance price). Using it on a 2010 Ford Focus.

Best F100 - What is the HT/HS on the MC 5W20 Syn blend? Saw MC 5W20 full syn for 5.99 a qt at parts depot. WM has the MC 5W20 syn blend for 12.00 for 5 qt jug. How similar is Kendall w/titanium to the MC formulas....connection in that CP produces both. Last time I lucky to enough to find a deal like that was at Murray's(now O'Rielly's?)Auto.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Since the performance of all the 0W20's and 5W20's are all pretty close (all good), I use the HT/HS figures as a deciding factor (the higher, the better). Consider:

For Example,
HT/HS
2.7 - Mobil 1 5W20EP, Kendall 5W20 Full Synthetic w/Titanium,
Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic

2.8 - Amsoil 0W20

3.3 - Red Line 5W20

The upcoming GF-5 standards may change some of these numbers. But for right now, for my money, it is hard to see any benefits in using anything more expensive than that Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic. It's durability tested by Ford and you will tire of that Fusion, before you wear the engine out (if properly maintained). I recently, raided the Advance Autoparts around here to buy about 35 qts of it @ between $1.50 - $2/qt (clearance price). Using it on a 2010 Ford Focus.

A higher HTHS vis is not better, it simply means the oil has a higher operational viscosity which you usually don't want in a vehicle spec'd for a 20wt oil. Additionally, the higher the HTHS vis (all things being equal) the lower the fuel economy.

All vehicle manufacturers that spec' a 20wt oil expect the HTHS vis to be in the 2.6 cP to 2.7 cP range with the vast majority being closer to 2.6 cP.

For the OP, I also believe all 5W-20 and 0W-20 grade oils are good.
The advantage of the ultra-light 0W-20's from Honda, Toyota, ENEOS, and Edge is that the start-up viscosity is very low even at room temperature. This further minimizes wear and maximizes fuel economy.

I have to qualify my statement for Cateham's behalf:

From an engine durabiltiy and longevity stand point, the higher the better, HT/HS figure. Some manufacturers even recommend going to a 5W30 for their performance engine of the same model (Honda, 2011 Ford Flex with Ecoboost engine), over a 5W20.

From a fuel economy stand point (and engine start up stand point) for a 20 wt oil, a lower cst@ 40C and 100C is better.

kbmag 1, so consequently, I picked Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic
because it had the low viscosity ( 45.9 cst@ 40C, 8.3 cst@ 100C) combined with the higher 2.7 HT/HS figure.

I will add that Kendall 5W20 Full Synthetic w/ Liquid Titanium is rumored to be same product as the Motorcraft (with the addition of Liquid Titanium). All the other product data numbers are identical for both products. Motorcraft 5W20 Blend has a HT/HS of 2.6.

I dream of the day that Fuchs Titan 0w20 zinc free oil comes to the USA. That oil looks amazing from what little UOAs we have seen.

Since that oil won't be available anytime soon, for extended OCIs:
1a) Amsoil 0w20
1b) RP 5w20
3) Pennzoil Ultra 5w20
4) Pennzoil Platinum 5w20
5) Schaeffer's 7000 5w20

For regular OCIs, it really doesnt matter. Whatever is cheapest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back