What is the optimum mileage for switching to synth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that there are lots of different opinions out there, but I’d like to hear when and why.

I normally switch to synthetic oil around 5000 miles, but with this new 2011 Hyundai Elantra, I’m thinking about doing it earlier. It will be getting its first oil change at the 1000 mile mark in 2 weeks and I’m wondering if I should make the switch then.

I understand the theory of breaking in the vehicle first, but as we know, some premium cars come with synthetic in new.

Plenty of Hyundai s out there with many miles all on any bulk oil just doing fine.

So I'd say any mileage would be okay for changing. Whenever you would like to.

In the end I really doubt it will matter.

Keep us informed on MPG with the rig and how you like it. I'm personally interested.

Thanks, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Plenty of Hyundai s out there with many miles all on any bulk oil just doing fine.

So I'd say any mileage would be okay for changing. Whenever you would like to.

In the end I really doubt it will matter.

Keep us informed on MPG with the rig and how you like it. I'm personally interested.

Thanks, Bill

Here's something that will back up Bill's point... On my Grand Marquis, it got synthetic for the first time at around 162,000 miles.

I guess it all boils down to what you, the owner, are comfortable with.

There are a lot of posters with new vehicles that just use Dino for the first few oil changes because they use a few short OCI on the new vehicle to make sure that can get out as much of any contaminants in the new engine. Some stay with Dino and then some switch to Synthetic. There appears to be a lot of posters who use the frequent OCI with Dino because using synthetic early on to cleanse the engine is a waste of hard earned money.

So I guess it all boils down to what makes the owner of the vehicle comfortable.

I agree with Mongo. I'd rather run dino the first few OCI because I'll be doing runs of 3K or less and it would be a waste to dump synthetic that soon.

So, my answer to the OP's question is, somewhere between 10 and 20K. In my current vehicle, first synthetic run was at 24K.

I would do at least 3K on dino before I switched. I would probably have changed it twice in that time as well.

I would say the biggest thing is whether the engine will break in completely on a syn if you switched too soon. I know Amsoil has mentioned 10 + years ago that no break in was required when using their oil. They then did an about face and said not to break in with their oil.

Conventional logic remains to break in on dino. In the end it might not matter, for if someone drives like they stole it vs someone who babies their car might really make a bigger difference.
I know one thing I've been reading about break in type articles for decades and the info is ever changing.

That being said I broke a pro rebuilt trans in my Dad's Caravan on Amsoil trans fluid and was amazed at how little debris was in the pan when I changed the fluid 85K later. I had never broke in anything on a fluid/oil and ran it that long. It was very clean. I could eat dinner off the pan.

I'd say the first OCI. Hyundai has "break in" procedures? For my 07 and 08 Kias, they didn't give me any "specific" directions to "break in" either vehicle....and believe me, they were my first and second vehicles, I read the manuals to a "T"
smile.gif

Personally, just stick with whatever the manual calls for. Likely API/SAE 5W-30/5W-20 rated ILSAC GF-4.GF-5 oil.

If your favorite synthetic meets or exceeds those requirements, sure ahead, go with it.

As long as you follow the owner's manual and/or dealer instructions, you're "within the lines" if there were need to be oil related engine problems down the road.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
I know that there are lots of different opinions out there, but I’d like to hear when and why.

I normally switch to synthetic oil around 5000 miles, but with this new 2011 Hyundai Elantra, I’m thinking about doing it earlier. It will be getting its first oil change at the 1000 mile mark in 2 weeks and I’m wondering if I should make the switch then.

I understand the theory of breaking in the vehicle first, but as we know, some premium cars come with synthetic in new.

No need to switch to synth for a while. In a California-driven Elantra, the main benefit would be extended OC's but since this car is under warranty, you shouldn't do that. So I'd wait until the warranty is up

Whenever.

I had a 2.5L I4 (Lima engine) Ranger that I switched to synthetic at about 70K miles. It burned slightly more oil during the first OCI, but that leveled off. After a couple OCIs it was back to burning maybe half a quart in 5000 miles, and that was with a lot of high RPM running. No leaks at all on this truck.

I switched my current 3.0 V6 Ranger at about 85K miles. Again, it burned a little more during the first OCI, but that seemed to go away. Last OCI was from 98K to almost 105K miles and I didn't have to add any oil. It burned only enough oil to drop the level down about 1.5 cm on the dipstick if that, which is probably less than half a quart in this engine. The engine has had a light oil film around the valve covers and rear main seal since probably 25K miles. It hasn't become any worse with the synthetic. The only way a Vulcan isn't going to have a light film is if it just got pressure washed anyway.

Both trucks ran the same as before after switching to synthetic. I feel a little more comfortable going with longer OCIs, but that's not based on an actual oil analysis of my particular engines, just speculation.

I didn't choose when I switched based on any actual reason. Both times the decision was brought on by an impulse buy of synthetic oil. I switched the 3.0 because one day I noticed Pep Boys had Kendall Full Synthetic and I had never seen it before.

I was told specifically by Honda not to do the first oil change until the Oil Life monitor reached close to 10%.....that will probably be close to 7 or 8 or even 10k miles...first oil change is on the dealer so I will have them do it.....so if and when I go to synth it probably won't be until close to 20K
shocked.gif

What kind of mpg have you been getting with the Elantra? I looked at them before I decided on the Fit...so far with 1900 miles on the clock been the mpg has been decent...over all close to 36 mpg, right now on this tank I'm at about 40 mpg

Goose

The only advantage you'd get from using syn oil is an extended OCI. I wouldn't do that while the car is under warranty. I think you're throwing your money away on synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I was told specifically by Honda not to do the first oil change until the Oil Life monitor reached close to 10%.....that will probably be close to 7 or 8 or even 10k miles...first oil change is on the dealer so I will have them do it.....so if and when I go to synth it probably won't be until close to 20K
shocked.gif

Goose

You do know that your car doesn't know whether you are running synthetic or not, right? Your OLM will register 10% regardless of whether you use synthetic or dino oil.

If I was living in a temperate climate, I don't think I would use synthetic oil...save your money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
shocked.gif

Goose

You do know that your car doesn't know whether you are running synthetic or not, right? Your OLM will register 10% regardless of whether you use synthetic or dino oil.

If I was living in a temperate climate, I don't think I would use synthetic oil...save your money.

Yep sure do know that
smile.gif
Honda is just saying that they want to keep the oil that came in the car in for 1st oil change...not going to go against what they say for the 1st oil change while under warranty.
smile.gif

I'm just pointing out that if I want to go to synth it may not be until after the 2nd oil change as I'm getting a freebie from the dealer.

I think I'm going to switch over to 0W20 at that time as well as that is what Honda is recommending for 2011 Fits now...here in NH we see quite a range in temps...can hit over 100 and be hot and humid for a bit and also be below for some stretches

Goose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back