What is the best motor oil for me???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zeus103363
No where did I say that he had to run synthetic motor oil to get another 150k out of his vehicle. I only recomended synthetic because..it is better. Tell me, why isnt it recomended to run synthetic during the break in of a new motor? Because synthetic offers maximum protection! I do not care what you say, synthetic is a superior product to dino, and no, I am not a shade tree mechanic.

Synthetic not recommended for break in by whom? I will quote you again. "My thinkin on that is a high milage engine may have good life left in it but you need the very best in protection so you can add another 150k on the clock."

Synthetic is the best at what exactly? Does synthetic bases typically handle higher than normal temperatures than a Chrysler 4.7 typically produces? Yes. Does synthetic flow "easier" in extreme cold as the same viscosity conventional? Yes. Do some synthetic PCMO's handle extended drains better than "conventional" PCMO that is very depended on the synthetic PCMO. There is no such thing as best protection. Every PCMO has trade offs that makes compromises, I am sorry I have far too many miles on "conventional" oils in conditions that people for some reason believe it is not possible for a very well formulated "conventional" oil to protect. This includes towing for hours in 100F+ degree heat, off roading for hours, hauling, mountain driving, cold weather starts in the mountains, a 7K OCI's. My engine still starts every-time I turn the key, and my UOA's show wear that is equal to or less than synthetics with the same OCI and there is enough TBN I could go further. So unless I am attempting extend my OCI's further than 7K which I am not. Have a turbocharged engine which I do not have. Operate my truck in the arctic circle in the winter, I am not. So excuse me but there is nothing you can say that synthetics are superior. Am I anti-synthetic no. But most applications do not require it nor is it a requirement for long engine life. So if someone is able to acquire synthetic oil for less than conventional use it all the time. If you have a engine design that requires synthetic oils to meet warranty requirements use it every time. If you are trying a extended OCI that is beyond the factory recommend interval obtain a UOA before attempting unless the oil is guaranteed to preform for the interval you are attempting(IE Amsoil).

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Zeus103363
No where did I say that he had to run synthetic motor oil to get another 150k out of his vehicle. I only recomended synthetic because..it is better. Tell me, why isnt it recomended to run synthetic during the break in of a new motor? Because synthetic offers maximum protection! I do not care what you say, synthetic is a superior product to dino, and no, I am not a shade tree mechanic.

Synthetic not recommended for break in by whom? I will quote you again. "My thinkin on that is a high milage engine may have good life left in it but you need the very best in protection so you can add another 150k on the clock."

Synthetic is the best at what exactly? Does synthetic bases typically handle higher than normal temperatures than a Chrysler 4.7 typically produces? Yes. Does synthetic flow "easier" in extreme cold as the same viscosity conventional? Yes. Do some synthetic PCMO's handle extended drains better than "conventional" PCMO that is very depended on the synthetic PCMO. There is no such thing as best protection. Every PCMO has trade offs that makes compromises, I am sorry I have far too many miles on "conventional" oils in conditions that people for some reason believe it is not possible for a very well formulated "conventional" oil to protect. This includes towing for hours in 100F+ degree heat, off roading for hours, hauling, mountain driving, cold weather starts in the mountains, a 7K OCI's. My engine still starts every-time I turn the key, and my UOA's show wear that is equal to or less than synthetics with the same OCI and there is enough TBN I could go further. So unless I am attempting extend my OCI's further than 7K which I am not. Have a turbocharged engine which I do not have. Operate my truck in the arctic circle in the winter, I am not. So excuse me but there is nothing you can say that synthetics are superior. Am I anti-synthetic no. But most applications do not require it nor is it a requirement for long engine life. So if someone is able to acquire synthetic oil for less than conventional use it all the time. If you have a engine design that requires synthetic oils to meet warranty requirements use it every time. If you are trying a extended OCI that is beyond the factory recommend interval obtain a UOA before attempting unless the oil is guaranteed to preform for the interval you are attempting(IE Amsoil).

Very well said, sir!
thumbsup2.gif

This whole "synthetic protects better" hoopla is getting ridiculous. I've seen people recommend 0WXX oil just because the temps dip below freezing sometimes.
I think this myth is equivalent to Pennzoil causing sludge tales.

Not trying to make the OP's question into another syn vs. Dino debate again. I believe synthetic pcmo, made from superior base oils and is a superior product to dino and I stand by my recomendation of the use of synthetics. That is my opinion. The back of a bottle of dino says it meets api specs, synthetic exceds them. Sounds like you are getting excellent service out of dino oils and I hope you always do. I never have had good results from any dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back