What is happening with Propane right now?

I just topped of our LP tank at $1.80/gal last week. We only use ~150 gallons a year with our water heater, clothes drier and what limited time the furnace runs. We heat with wood, so the furnace only runs when we are gone for numerous days.

Here is the situation with propane storage. Normally there is 100 million bbls in storage at this time of year. This year there is only 70 million bbls. Why? The USA exported too much of it. Whoops.

261425A6-79A9-49CA-9B55-16F486A2513C.png

For those burning propane in a forced air furnace, please look at an air to air heat pump. After the installation cost, it is about half the price of burning propane ( with variations due to electric and propane cost.) Also, check out if there are grants for a heat pump installation available.

I find generally heat pumps can’t compete well with natural gas, but they certainly do with propane.

I fully understand you might want propane because you don’t trust the grid, but you can get the systems wired to kick in the propane furnace if the power fails and you have a generator. My system uses a propane fired boiler and heat exchanger for that.

For those burning propane in a forced air furnace, please look at an air to air heat pump. After the installation cost, it is about half the price of burning propane ( with variations due to electric and propane cost.) Also, check out if there are grants for a heat pump installation available.

I find generally heat pumps can’t compete well with natural gas, but they certainly do with propane.

I fully understand you might want propane because you don’t trust the grid, but you can get the systems wired to kick in the propane furnace if the power fails and you have a generator. My system uses a propane fired boiler and heat exchanger for that.
I have a hybrid system and killed the heat pump. Here in MD. I prefer oil or propane plus they don't run non stop. I run in aux mode.

I just ordered propane for my 500 gallon tank that is 35% full. The lady at the order desk was kind enough to lock it in at $0.80 CDN a liter which is about $2.40 per US gallon. That’s a 30% bump for me.

With the recent upswing in propane cost and the carbon tax ( can’t talk about that), for the first time, propane here is as expensive as electrical resistance heating. However, on the horizon is the new hydro dam called Site C that is massively over budget. Once it’s producing power, the costs will be going up on electricity again.

I have a 1000 gallon tank. I own it. Filled up a year ago in September for .89 a gallon. Filled tank yesterday @ $2.05 a gallon. I usually fill up in August or September when the price is at it's lowest. This year no drop! Was quoted $1.90 per gallon in August.

I have a 1000 gallon tank. I own it. Filled up a year ago in September for .89 a gallon. Filled tank yesterday @ $2.05 a gallon. I usually fill up in August or September when the price is at it's lowest. This year no drop! Was quoted $1.90 per gallon in August.
Same here but its up to around $2.19+ now.
I installed a new hvac system and went with 99% efficiency propane furnaces... Cause it could get expensive real fast. I'm hearing $5 plus a gallon.
I got heating oil for another house and it was $3.50

Last edited:
our old friend Pop Rivit always used to say that it was important to stock up on propane in the summer…
I have 10 years of data and never saw significant fluctuations seasonally for residential propane.. The chemical industry up here dominates. Since our propane is primarily a natural gas byproduct, it is also highly dependent on the number of well completions. We also now export 60,000 bbls per day of propane which threw a wrench it it. :)

our old friend Pop Rivit always used to say that it was important to stock up on propane in the summer…
With a friend like him, who needs enemies? If he said that about propane, then he was right one time in his life. Propane is traditionally lowest in June and spikes up in the winter. Traditionally, but not always. Anyway, I contracted all my winter propane and I’m glad I did as it’s about $.60/gallon higher now than what I contracted for.
I’ve got a 1000 gallon tank that I own and can purchase propane from any supplier.

With the recent upswing in propane cost and the carbon tax ( can’t talk about that), for the first time, propane here is as expensive as electrical resistance heating. However, on the horizon is the new hydro dam called Site C that is massively over budget. Once it’s producing power, the costs will be going up on electricity again.
Now that got me thinking.
My electric bill is around $80/Month. If I had installed a resistance electric forced air furnace, it would add about $320 dollars a month to the electric bill.

My first fill of my "500" cost me a little over 500, and the next fill I expect to be $900+(next fill might be in Feb. if I can't make it last all winter) so heating with propane still would cost $1,400 vs Nov-Apr resistance heat which would be around $1,600.

An outdoor wood furnace, a log splitter and chainsaw is looking better and better! Heck you can buy a truckload of firewood for 50 bucks if you don't have the woods.

So I filled my tank(at 15%, 500 gallon) to 80% max fill and it cost me 500 back in June. A neighbor just had his tank filled today, $900 baby!
My propane fill of 500 gal tank was a little over $625 at $2.09/gallon. I only use it for hot water and gas fireplace. I can go 2-3 years on a full.

Had propane furnace but now heat pump.

I have propane to power my furnace, stove and dryer. My home is fairly new and quite energy efficient. Because the Southern California Edison company shut down the electricity for 10-12 hours at a time while they were doing powerline maintenance and tree trimming in my area about 10 times in the last few months, my Generac generator kicked in and ran so I consumed an unusual amount of propane these last few months.

My propane supplier topped off my tank last week and when I checked the bill, the rate was close to 30% higher than last year. The cost was $789.
I will be wearing longjohns and sweats around the house and burning the firewood from the tree trimming that was done last year and should be well seasoned by now.

With a friend like him, who needs enemies? If he said that about propane, then he was right one time in his life. Propane is traditionally lowest in June and spikes up in the winter. Traditionally, but not always. Anyway, I contracted all my winter propane and I’m glad I did as it’s about $.60/gallon higher now than what I contracted for.
I’ve got a 1000 gallon tank that I own and can purchase propane from any supplier.
🤣🤣🤣

Still ~$15 for a 20lb tank exchange at Walmart (Blue Rhino). Same price as it was this spring. Ignore the "out of stock" on their webpage. They have them in my area.

That certainly is much cheaper than in my area and a great price. The cheapest exchange places in my area were at $20. a year or two ago. The higher ones were $23. I just noticed this week that the current price at one of the cheaper sources is now $26. I did get one filled at a hardware store a month ago for $13. That used to be $8. to $10.

Back