What is best for leather these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not keept up with leather care products lately. For my car I apply Lexol every few months and my seats look good with no cracking or wear. Is Lexol still one of the better leather car products? Is there something else I should be using? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
yeah Lexol is good stuff. do you use the wipes or the spray?

I use the spray and put it on heavy so it's nice and wet so it soaks in.

What does Lexol smell like? I read on another board some guy complaining that Lexol made his car's interior smell like french fries/old cooking oil.

I thought that Lexol was for "natural" leather, like horse saddles, etc..

Isn't most car leather plastic coated?

My fave are the Zaino leather twins. Ya just can't beat Z9 and Z10, especially the aroma. I get clients who specifically ask me to apply Z10 just for the smell.

I've always liked Mothers leather care products. If you can find their cleaner and conditioner (separate products), they're excellent.

Leatherique is great for deep cleaning and rejuvenating, but I think it's too expensive for regular maintenance. Same with Leather Master, great products but spendy.

I recently bought this:

http://www.ppcbest.com/just_leather.htm

This is one of the things I liked about it:

"Perfect for today’s “new generation” clearcoated leathers found in auto interiors...."

It's been to cold for me to use it yet. Since it's a local company - I found it at my local Ace hardware.

+1 on the Z10 smell!

Last edited:
The recommended care for top coated (protected leather with a urethane coat for color/protection) is more like vinyl. Keep it clean and use a UV protectant like product.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I thought that Lexol was for "natural" leather, like horse saddles, etc..

Isn't most car leather plastic coated?

Lexol has different products in their lineup... some are for vinyl (like leatherette), and others are for real leather.

I am currently driving my first leather equipped vehicle, we always had either cloth or vinyl. The leather is new, in a Jeep. What product would you recommend to protect the leather? It is a gray color and I don't want to discolor it, something I can buy in a store like AAP. Thanks

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I am currently driving my first leather equipped vehicle, we always had either cloth or vinyl. The leather is new, in a Jeep. What product would you recommend to protect the leather? It is a gray color and I don't want to discolor it,something I can buy in a store like AAP. Thanks
Yes, and he'd like to know before the end of the month if possible.
wink.gif
J/K

For a Jeep, because the sun will shine on the leather alot, I would use Lexol cleaner and the Lexol leather conditioner ever one to two months.

The leather on my truck's steering wheel is starting to lose the coating on the outside. I'd say it's about a third of the way gone. I picked up some Turtle Wax leather cleaner and conditioner, and so far it has been working great. The exposed leather is soft, still has a dark black color, and it actually looks better than the parts of the leather that still have the clear coat.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I am currently driving my first leather equipped vehicle, we always had either cloth or vinyl. The leather is new, in a Jeep. What product would you recommend to protect the leather? It is a gray color and I don't want to discolor it, something I can buy in a store like AAP. Thanks

I remember seeing a tag in a new Super Duty with leather seats that said to wipe them down with a damp rag and that was it. This may or may not be the case with your Jeep, but I might hold off on using chemicals for a while.

Anyone use Picards brand leather care? Seems to be really good stuff. I got some with my Harley Davidson leather bags. It's harder to use but really soaks in and protects well. It looks like vasoline. They also have many types of leather care products.

So If I use Lexol every few months my leather seats will stay new looking? Do you know if Volvo uses coated leather? What ever leather they use it is far superior quality then the leather used in my Chevy. The Volvo leather does not seem to have a coating on it but I can't really tell.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I remember seeing a tag in a new Super Duty with leather seats that said to wipe them down with a damp rag and that was it. This may or may not be the case with your Jeep, but I might hold off on using chemicals for a while.

That is exactly what I've been doing, the leather still looks great. Until I'm positive on what to use I'm holding off. If a product goes on it and stains it or discolors it I'm screwed. As I said I never owned a car with leather so I guess I'm being overly cautious.

Cleaning / Care

The important considerations for proper leather care; is as much about (a) the state / condition of the leather you are dealing with (b) methodology used (c) product. Cleaning is a combination of all these

(a) Hydrated - use water-based products and clean surfaces with a damp towel

(b) Clean - as dirt / grit and subsequent friction cause the finish to wear.

(c) Protected - is essential as it will protect the surface finish and makes dirt easier to clean off and an ultra violet protective product (UVR) will preserve the finish.

Remember you are dealing with the finished Polyurethane coating on the leather and not with the leather itself.

Always thoroughly rinse upholstery cleaners and ensure that they are allowed to dry before adding protection or use. Leather however finished, has to allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water- based cleaners and protectors will maintain hydration, which is essential to keeping it in pristine condition.

For many, finding the best leather care product is as simple as using what is the most popular. While popularity can sometimes be a reliable barometer, it isn’t always the correct choice. Some even make their decision based on new car’s leather fragrance alone. My best advise; research other options and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information, not hype or brand loyalty.

After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts? I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back