Trying to bring back to lifr a good condition leather seat that was exposed to extended rain

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Found two 2004 Lincoln Navigator seats. Driver seat in excellent condition. Passenger seat WAS in excellent condition, but the Navigator was in a accident at the passenger right side. Water fell and sat on the seat for an extended amount of time, causing the letter to be dirty and hard. Leather is also not coming clean with basic cleaning.

Decided to soak the leather in Lexol conditioner. Hoping the Lexol soaks into the leather and softens the leather up. For the past two days, first thing in the morning I apply a excess amount of Lexol. By the next morning, the Lexol has been absorbed. At this time the softness to the leather has not returned. I am hopeful after a few more days this method may work- but I have no idea.

PXL_20220129_112122943.jpg

I'd try dipping a damp rag in baking soda and using the paste to lightly scrub the area.

Laundry detergent diluted in a bucket of warm water and applied with a soft brush does wonders on carpet, mats and cloth seats.

I'm a fan of using stuff that's already in the house.

Reactions: GON
I think it will work. I think that Lexol is good stuff. Cleaning that mold off is going to be a whole different issue and the above suggestions are all good.

Try goop - it cleans well, has lanolin in it and doenst dry out the leather.

Had a sunroof leak in a Jetta that leaked on to the drivers seat cushion for a few months. One day I go to fix the leak and put my knee on the seat. Get a big tear in the leather. I'm guessing over time water will deteriorate the leather so badly that it loses any strength.

• Wow
The best leather cleaner I've ever used was "Dawn Liquid" mixed with water, at a rate of about 1 part soap and 6 parts hot water. Then use a microfiber square and scrub a 2 inch section at a time with thumb pressure. No big sweeping motions, just concentrated high pressure on a small section. Clean the microfiber regularly in the solution. You can also use a toothbrush, which is great for seams.

Looking at the picture, it seems the "large sweeping" method was used. Try to keep the area very small, and use very hard single fingertip pressure.

In the video below, the guy uses "Woolite" detergent and a toothbrush.

Last edited:
Have not tried them yet but in a last ditch effort they make paint that goes on leather furniture.
Been thinking of doing this to a great couch that turned out to be fake leather peeling off 1 year after purchase,
Warranty doesn't cover peeling leather go figure. High end $3,500 "leather" sectional from Rooms To Go. Do not buy from them.

IMO it's dead and your time would be better spent replacing the cover.
My tjought also...with all the cracks, I'd send it to Katzkin or another house to have it redone. Plus the edge of the seat's padding looks like it has collapsed.

Applied another heavy coat of Lexol conditioner this morning. The leather may be softening up a bit, but it could all be in my mind. The Lexol conditioner is going somewhere- every morning it is gone. It is pretty cold in the garage, go I don't think it is "running off", but may be being absorbed by the leather.

I am going to try this for a week. I understand it is highly unlikely to work. I have the time, the method is not labor intensive, and a bottle of Lexol is $6. At the seat shop, a lower replacement cover is $225, upper cover is $250. So I might as well try this method and learn what can and can't be done.

I appreciated the video CUjet posted. Seems generic Woolite is a decent interior cleaner that is not overly harmful and super low cost.

Earlier today I applied a final coat of Lexol. Returned home at lunch, and decided to try to oxi-clean.

Seat is found better, but appears the leather dye is worn off in some sections. The strength of the leather appears ok..

PXL_20220131_095933651.jpg
PXL_20220131_100046147.jpg
PXL_20220131_163903732.jpg
PXL_20220131_163912740.jpg

Try some saddle soap GON. Should be able to find at a farm supply store, or place that sells quality leather boots, etc.

It did pretty good on a couple holsters that I neglected. They should also carry a leather preservative to apply after cleaning.

Best of luck!

Back