What in HPL oil helps reduce chance of LSPI?

Calcium concentration is by far the largest factor. If an oil is low enough in calcium (say, <1000-1200 ppm), it will generally perform well on an LSPI test, regardless of what's in the rest of the formulation.

Oils with moderately high calcium (say, around 1200-1500 ppm) can still sometimes perform well enough in LSPI tests if they contain high concentrations of moly and/or ZDDP, but it takes a lot of these additives to make up for a modest increase in calcium. Within the 600-800 ppm phosphorus range required for API SP oils, there won't be much difference in LSPI reduction from the ZDDP.

Oils with very high calcium (say, >2000 ppm) will not pass an LSPI test regardless of how much moly or ZDDP is added to the oil, at reasonable concentrations.

HPL's passenger car oils tend to be in the 900-1200 ppm Ca range as far as I've seen, so I'd expect them to perform well, even if they aren't actually subject to the API or Dexos tests.

Keeping oil out of the intake manifold eliminates LSPI, keeps the cylinders and pistons clean.

LSPI is over hyped don't ya think?
Hallelujah! I said a few weeks ago that there’s a huge dearth of evidence that LSPI is easily recreated in the real world, and that there are about 174,925,647 posts worrying about LSPI for every post that has some actual verified evidence that LSPI damaged an engine.

It’s a once-mentioned boogeyman, that because of the scare tactic pictures that were posted about LSPi, have invaded the minds of many, while never appearing in 99.999% of instances.

I’ve been running my tuned & bolt-on 3.5EB for over 55k miles now first on Ravenol DXG, then HPL PCEO then No VII for the past 29k miles with an pump gas “E30” tune, and video-verified data of a 10.64 second 0-100 run on an unprepared surface, and 22.6-23.1psi of boost depending on temps. I think my truck’s a pretty good candidate that if LSPI were really an issue, I’d already have a windowed block with twisted rods and shattered pistons by now. Instead, I’m over 80k miles and the truck still knocks down 22+ mpg on rural highway driving and about 20.8 on freeways. LSPI is nowhere near as prevalent as public perception!

Back