What I did to the new car yesterday..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like they've changed the oil filter position. My wife's 05 is right at the front of the engine under the bumper same as her 96 was. That heat from the exhaust is gong to make that tiny filters job a lot harder.

I saw one of those valve on a car in the shop that hit something. The pan was bent and the valve pushed back but nothing leaked and the owner is leaving it as is.

Don't hit a piece of a truck tire laying on the road.
You won't believe how much damage can be done it will tear that valve right off

Quote:

I get the large sheets from my local sams club and keep them under the cars when changing oil.

The ones that come on the pallet with the toilet paper?
shocked.gif

I do the exact same thing.
thumbsup.gif

The ST7317 is a slightly larger version of the st6607 and may be a better choice. I just have no faith in those itty bitty filters. I think the only thing that would have enough force to damage the valve would be something big enough to see. So, you should be able to avoid it if you can see it. Right?

Quote:

I saw one of those valve on a car in the shop that hit something. The pan was bent and the valve pushed back but nothing leaked and the owner is leaving it as is.

Nice...
smirk.gif

Not good news.

Quote:

Don't hit a piece of a truck tire laying on the road.
You won't believe how much damage can be done it will tear that valve right off

Have you ever seen one ripped off personally?

I agree that a semi-recap would do some damage, but I think the above with bending the pan would be closer to actual damage.
dunno.gif

Who knows..

Quote:

The ones that come on the pallet with the toilet paper?

I do the exact same thing.

You got it! Works well does it not? Simple and easy..

My life goals.
fruit.gif

Quote:

So, you should be able to avoid it if you can see it. Right?

Look above, see that its my WIFE who drives it most of the time..
shocked.gif

No comment on her driving skills.
pat2.gif

Also the ST 7317 is a little longer, but I really do have a problem with the smaller filters. Todays engines plus our excellent oils really don't need that much of a filter IMO. We will see.
cheers.gif

Thanks all for the replies!
bowdown2.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

Bill,

We're in the same part of the country so you might enjoy this (or not). My wife took the Mazda out, taking one of the girls to a camp in southern Idaho near Preston. She ended up on a dirt road that was "terrible", trying to keep up with another vehicle going too fast, and ended up "hitting some rocks".

When it came back it had a big dent running from the front o f the oil pan towards the back. The drain plug got hit as well... but not too bad. Right now I need to make sure I use a fresh crush washer to make sure it seals well.

Well, it still runs.

ha ha ha, it just occurred to me that this little 1.5L engine with it's tiny sump, (something like 3.5 quarts) now has a few ounces less oil capacity than before...
pat2.gif
fruit.gif

Ouch...

We have quite a few road up the canyons what are like that.

I hope we do not have any issues with the drain. I sure did not like the way the oil came out with the OEM plug.. I'd need a 3 foot non splash drain pan to prevent any mess..

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

The only question I have is, whether the Fumoto is the lowest point, or if frame, muffler/tailpipe, or tie rods would touch the ground or likely be hit before Fumoto. Even if Mr. Fumoto IS the lowest of the low, we like him anyway (no, seriously, with 9" of clearance what can happen?) Other thing is, Fumoto is cut from a block of solid brass, and the threading and fabrication of the oil pan is so stout you'd be driven off the road to far more serious circumstances than just a busted Fumoto if you hit something of sufficient bulk to damage it or the pan.

Other question I have is when did you start running an expensive, First Rate Dino like Pennzoil Yellow, Bill? SO unlike you. It runs almost 1.55/qt. on sale. What happened to ST, Warren and Coastal?

Waddup wit THAT???

Quote:

Other question I have is when did you start running an expensive, First Rate Dino like Pennzoil Yellow, Bill? SO unlike you. It runs almost 1.55/qt. on sale. What happened to ST, Warren and Coastal?

Waddup wit THAT???

Its called using up my 59 cent a quart Pennzoil from the stash!
grin.gif
thumbsup.gif

(so my total cost for the Subarus oil change is $5.08 incl the oil fitler)
twocents.gif

I'm almost out of Pennzoil. I think I'm down to less than 20 quarts. About the same for QS too (49 cents a quart). Castrol GTX is about 40 quarts (69-89 cents a quart) then its Chevron (49 cents)...

Got lots of Chevron
shocked.gif
Thank goodness its a great oil.

I only have name brands around here.
tongue.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Tons of people on nasioc.com and legacygt.com use fumotos. Many share the same worry but I've never seen an actual report of any problem at all.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I agree that a semi-recap would do some damage, but I think the above with bending the pan would be closer to actual damage.

I've heard of them going through the windshield and decapitating the driver.

It's not just recaps. I've had new tires blow out (both were Bridgestone trailer tires). Tire mfg's try to blame the driver by saying the tires were run underinflated, but sometimes you just get a bad one. They can do lot of damage and will blow out without any warning to the driver. Sometimes one will gradually go flat and you'll notice pieces of tire flying out from under the trailer, but most of the times there will be a loud pop.

Originally Posted By: BradC
Notice how the Pennzoil bottle and funnel compliment the other filler caps
laugh.gif

That last pic looks like my glass of Guinness.

But seriously, that Fumoto valve really does stick out.
It's not too far, but I'd still be concerned about it taking a hit from road debris.

Notice how Bill has the right angle on the bottle of PYB? He's "staging" / "marketing" it hehe. j/k Bill, nice shots, always wanted one of those Fumoto valves but money's been kinda tight. The surefit's any better?

Originally Posted By: BradC
Notice how the Pennzoil bottle and funnel compliment the other filler caps
laugh.gif

That last pic looks like my glass of Guinness.

But seriously, that Fumoto valve really does stick out.
It's not too far, but I'd still be concerned about it taking a hit from road debris.

BradC,
At one time, I also used to dring Guinness Stout, however I quit when I had a shipmate who used to "chew" and he would carry around a "spit-cup". The stuff in that cup looked exactly like Guinness Stout. I've never been able to drink Guinness Stout since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back