What happens if you don't change yer oil?!?!

I find it amazing that people will put xx$ and not educate themselves even a little bit about protecting their investment (as bad as it is) especially when newer engines with dohc's don't tolerate non maintenance very well.

I wonder if the driver is in sale? When I ran a fleet of F150’s, I had 3 salesmen tell me they were too busy making the company money to get oil changed. 2 of them were fired. One went 31k on the factory oil and another 27k. The other was fired later, but his truck was turned in locally and I never saw it.

Arrogance and ego can cause people to waste machinery in this way.
Even anal maintenance doesn't guarantee problem free operation- but in my job there are some really out of the way places where there is little traffic and no cell coverage, I do what I can.

We can fix a lot of things, but we can't fix stupid.
On my retired from job we had a road technician who got a new '90's E150 van. 300 6 cylinder. At 35k miles he took it in for a oil light on, turns out pickup screen was plugged with sludge, he never changed the oil in it, just topped it off in all that time which was about 3 yrs. since it was all urban driving. Drivers were responsible for taking care of routine maintenance and routing would schedule time for such things. Shop covered for him since he was a senior guy.
Best one I heard- Oh.... it'll heal itself.

He technically wasn't wrong on oil changes. 10k by manual and he had 31k miles. No one does 10k on the dot so with light on and over by 1k he could argue and win in court. According to manuals normally stating that when your light comes on to change then you should get oil changed within 500 miles. If you do math it puts you around 32k or so since this is technically 3rd oil change time. This is caused from low oil so hopefully the tech recorded it. Dealerships have been known to cover this if you threaten to sue. Remember Tech said low on oil, customers will state they checked oil, as well as changed according to the manual. I replaced quite a few engines from Toyota to Chevrolet cause customers followed manual on a Sludged up engine.

Last edited:
He technically wasn't wrong on oil changes. 10k by manual and he had 31k miles. No one does 10k on the dot so with light on and over by 1k he could argue and win in court. According to manuals normally stating that when your light comes on to change then you should get oil changed within 500 miles. If you do math it puts you around 32k or so since this is technically 3rd oil change time. This is caused from low oil so hopefully the tech recorded it. Dealerships have been known to cover this if you threaten to sue. Remember Tech said low on oil, customers will state they checked oil, as well as changed according to the manual. I replaced quite a few engines from Toyota to Chevrolet cause customers followed manual on a Sludged up engine.
I doubt it was even changed twice. He never did supply any bills to us....and if it was....what was put in it?? I'm am VERY on customers side ......but not for stupidity like this. I have seen the inside of these even when pushed to limits of rec change intervals.....and they are very clean.

I'll try and post some more carnage stuff as comes along. Not on here that much unfortunately.....always seen busy

Even anal maintenance doesn't guarantee problem free operation- but in my job there are some really out of the way places where there is little traffic and no cell coverage, I do what I can.
You wouldn’t go 30k without an oil change though, would you?

I don’t disagree with you, but what our guys did was abuse, not lack of availability to get service. They worked rurally but lived in town.

I’ve certainly become less anal about maintaining my vehicles after watching what the sales team and other folks have done to vehicles over the years, yet still made it well past 100,000. But I could care less about sports, golf, or other non-automotive things and find more interest in maintaining my car than them. It’s a happy medium.

You wouldn’t go 30k without an oil change though, would you?

I don’t disagree with you, but what our guys did was abuse, not lack of availability to get service. They worked rurally but lived in town.

I’ve certainly become less anal about maintaining my vehicles after watching what the sales team and other folks have done to vehicles over the years, yet still made it well past 100,000. But I could care less about sports, golf, or other non-automotive things and find more interest in maintaining my car than them. It’s a happy medium.
The maintenace co wants oil intervals at 12k km, no trans/transfer/diff services, I get the oil done at 8k km and have had the other done at oem interval- probably once and only before vehicle is auctioned. There wa a time when this sector was respected for used vehicles, I would buy mine and no others. My brakes are original at 150k km.

I've heard there's a broad/old fashioned idea that "it's cheaper for a company to fix vehicles than to maintain them".
>>I'm sure there was a ton of fact and nonsense which created this notion. but I have heard it.
Add in mechanical disinclination (and the willingness of some to abuse the property of others) and you get sludge.

I wonder why the low oil light didnt come on? I had a high mileage Jeep GC Limited that had very high mileage and the oil light would come on when it was 1 quart low on oil. It was a 318 V8 and ran great. My 2014 Jeep GC runs so quiet you can barely hear it run however I change oil frequently usually 7,000 miles or less and I am at 82,500 miles right now.

I've heard there's a broad/old fashioned idea that "it's cheaper for a company to fix vehicles than to maintain them".
The is some truth to that in fleet vehicles.

I remember reading a few years ago of taxi fleets that would buy in droves at auction municipal and police depart Ford Crown Vics with about 100K miles and after a re-baseline change of most fluids, fresh spark plugs and brakes, put them into Taxi service with maybe a once year oil change. They found it cheaper just to fix the things that broke over time than do preventative or time based maintenance. So things like if they had a misfire and one bad coil, they only changed that one bad coil and did not do "while we are here" maintenance. They easily got 300K+ miles out of them.

This is right up there with the idiots who buy a new vehicle and head right to Jiffy Lube or Walmart for oil changes. You spent $40k on a vehicle but want to cheap out of maintenance from day one and use the wrong oil possibly as well. :rolleyes:

This is right up there with the idiots who buy a new vehicle and head right to Jiffy Lube or Walmart for oil changes. You spent $40k on a vehicle but want to cheap out of maintenance from day one and use the wrong oil possibly as well. :rolleyes:
Jiffy Lube is actually quite good about only using the correct oil.

Not sure about Walmart.

Jiffy Lube is actually quite good about only using the correct oil.

Not sure about Walmart.
I've personally known a few who worked at a Jiffy Lube, the 1 friend just used it as a stepping stone and he was competent guy. The rest were stoners or degens who I wouldn't trust to screw in a light bulb plus they're overpriced by a lot in my area. There may be competent shops but their stigma is well deserved. This also brings up the fact cars now come with 2 years maintenance included so why even tempt fate.

These pictures, along with pictures of the odometer and the repair bill, should go on the wall both on the showroom floor and at the parts counter. I can't help but wonder if the infidel might have an epiphany on vehicle maintenance AFTER he gets the repair bill.
He'll probably fill it with oil and trade it at another dealer.

And folks here are worried about thwir warranty by going more than 6 mos with a few K miles in a recent post. This is an example of oil-related failure that gets a warranty denial...not regular changes that vary slightly from the manual.
These modern synthetics can take a lot of abuse before it degrades to these pics. This may not have had any oc's.

That is a lot of idiots then. Few sources I could find estimate only 15%-20% of people change their own oil. That leaves a butt load of remaining people using other avenues like quick lube, independent and dealership garages to get it done.

I pass a Valvoline Instant Oil Change place about every day that has three bays with lines outside each bay 3-5 cars deep from open to close.

Does not surprise me in the aggregate there is quite a few oil change mishaps but is probably an infantile small number overall on the whole.

>>I'm sure there was a ton of fact and nonsense which created this notion. but I have heard it.
Add in mechanical disinclination (and the willingness of some to abuse the property of others) and you get sludge.
From my experience, it is not cheaper, but it is much, much easier…. Getting emergency repair funding approval for downed equipment requires a lot less effort and convincing than operational or maintenance expenditures. Making money is often prioritized much more than potentially losing money… Also when managers and bean counter are incentivized solely on production and uptime then maintenance (ie, downtime) becomes a four letter word.

Back